URGENT! Need advice! (swallowed something?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynne2809

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I got home from work today and noticed that my rabbit had passed a few poops that were strung together by a thin string. My rabbit is a lionhead, so it is quite common for him to pass stool that is strung together by fur/hair. However, this was definitely not fur or hair. It almost appears to be a very thin, plastic string. I have no idea where he could have gotten anything like that, because my entire room is bunny-proofed. I got him a new bag of hay 2 days ago, so maybe the string was in the bag of hay? There was a bit of clear mucus in the linked stool as well. I inspected the linked stool, and the string is very brittle and hard, unlike the hair that normally links his stool together. He is acting totally normal, he’s eating like crazy, he’s drinking, and he’s now passing normal stool with no string. Again, I have no idea where he could have gotten this string and I am very worried. I’m glad that he passed the string, but I’m incredibly worried that there is still some stuck in his GI tract and it will wrap around part of his intestines and cause further issues. The nearest emergency vet that sees rabbits is 3 hours away. Does anybody have any advice or reassurance? I am really freaking out about this. I’ve attached some pictures of the string, the poop that was strung together, and his poops now.

Attachments

• 83CE2006-8F4C-4573-AE89-CBCD6DDC694B.jpeg
    83CE2006-8F4C-4573-AE89-CBCD6DDC694B.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 12369914-B4BF-4278-9509-F332EFC02FAD.jpeg
    12369914-B4BF-4278-9509-F332EFC02FAD.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 3A7A4041-39D7-4E2B-BE16-1B90B671D557.jpeg
    3A7A4041-39D7-4E2B-BE16-1B90B671D557.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 10
In my experience, if your rabbit is acting normal, eating fine, playing around, it can be just one off case whre he ate something weird... if his poops are normal, nothing to worry...however please keep monitoring the poops if similar things come out. if you have any gut motility medications which helps with hairball problems like neopeptine...you can use it...but only if ur bun is in discomfort.

In my experience, if your rabbit is acting normal, eating fine, playing around, it can be just one off case whre he ate something weird... if his poops are normal, nothing to worry...however please keep monitoring the poops if similar things come out. if you have any gut motility medications which helps with hairball problems like neopeptine...you can use it...but only if ur bun is in discomfort.
Thank you so much. I just emailed the emergency vet and they recommended that I just monitor him, and he will likely be fine and it just passed through his GI tract. I am just worried about it causing further issues if there is any left in his GI tract.

I just checked on him again and he is eating tons of hay and passing normal fecal pellets that are not strung together. I have absolutely no idea where he could have found that plastic string material. I’ve searched all around the room and I can’t figure out where he would have gotten it from. I’m hoping that it has passed and he will continue to eat and poop normally, but I am really worried

He just passed these poops and I cannot see any sign of string in them. He’s running around and eating hay and treats. I assume that’s good? I’m just worried that there will be string left in his GI tract that could wrap around his intestines. Has anybody ever had a similar experience?

Attachments

• 310FA6BA-9663-43DF-8272-13D95A78DD78.jpeg
    310FA6BA-9663-43DF-8272-13D95A78DD78.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Trust me...i am so relieved to hear that...dont worry me and my wife are also super paranoid bunny parents. and it seems like it is a one off issue...do not worry much...give him hay...if theres anything left it l come out.:)

@JBun I was wondering if you had any advice for me regarding this situation? He seems perfectly fine this morning. He ate overnight and had lots of poops (I did not see any string in his poop overnight). He is running around this morning and acting normal, but I’m still worried about what I found in his poop yesterday as it really felt like a plastic thread/string, but I have no idea where he could have gotten anything like that.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, he passed the string and it's no longer inside of him. Paired with the presence of healthy poops now, I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless any behaviors justify otherwise. Whether there's something "still inside him" or not cannot be confirmed nor denied by any online user, so I'd just lean on the evidence at hand, which is your rabbit appears to be GI-functioning fine.

I'm happy to ready your bun is now popping normally and whatever it was has passed.
However, in my experience I found it was from a rug I didn't know was being bitten.
So if you have carpet or rugs take a look at the edges and any hidden areas of it. Maybe your bun has a secret place 😏

Latest posts

Back