**URGENT** I don't know what to do with herrr

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandy456

Reaction score
We moved, into this new house last friday (not the one that just passed) and Sparky made a good friend, a little dog names Sprite, who is also a pomeranian.

Well I went to take out the trashto the curb earlier and she was outside, in the front (she's never in the front, usually the back) unnatended, and off leash.

I stayed outside with her for a bit, playing with her, and every few minutes she'd run to her house and bark at the door. Well her door doesn't have a doggie hole so theres no way she could have just gone out, herself.

It's getting dark here, it's 8 o'clock...

Theres raccoons here, and skunks, and squirrels and she honestly stands no chance being only 10ish pounds.

I went to check on her around 7:15 and she was laying on her grass, staring at the door.

Theres absolutly no light in the house, and no movement..

What do I do ?

I don't want to call animal control as they'd bring her to the pound and charge the owners (who are reaallyy good people) 80$ to take her out. Plus, don't want to seem like a brute after only being 2 weeks here.

I'd take her in and leave a note on their door, personally. Let them know you were worried that she'd be hit by a car or be stolen.

Elf Mommy wrote:
I'd take her in and leave a note on their door, personally. Let them know you were worried that she'd be hit by a car or be stolen.

I second this. Don't leave the poor girl outside to let something happen to her. I'd take her inside and keep her safe.

I can't find her,
Although it's pitch black and I heard her not more then 10 minutes ago, in the back of the houses.
I went for a walk with Sparky, becdause she likes him and will run up to him but I can't seem to find her, but I hear her bark.
Its really bothering me.
I have to get off now, since it's a schoo night, but i'm really worried, I also live infront of a reallyy busy road (St.Laurent.. if anyone is framiliar with it.
I'm going to put some stuff on the back step, \and hope she goes to 'investigate' and i'll grab her then, and write the note.
If I do find her i'll sleep in the spare bedroom, because it has hardwood, and my bedroom has carpet.

Oh no! I hope you can find her....yell for her and search everywhere. Maybe she got stuck somewhere? Possibly another neighbor put her in their fenced in back yard?

You should really mind your own business. Don't start off on the wrong foot in your new neighborhood. You've not talked to your neighbor and don't know anything other than seeing a loose dog. This could be the routine for the dog to fun free.

Baby Juliet wrote:
You should really mind your own business. Don't start off on the wrong foot in your new neighborhood. You've not talked to your neighbor and don't know anything other than seeing a loose dog. This could be the routine for the dog to fun free.
If there was a dog in my neighborhood running free and was friendly...I'd be taking it in until I found the owner (it would be PTS at the shelter here).

Most places have leash laws, too, btw...so if the owner was allowing the dog to run free all of the time, then they should get in trouble. Not to mention Brandy said she lived on a busy street...any dog lover would rescue a dog from going out onto a busy street.

I don't think this is a matter of "minding your own business".....it is a matter of keeping a loose dog safe until the owner can be located.

Baby Juliet wrote:
sorry but i disagree with this "mind your own buisness" comment, the dog has gotten out , possibly, and could be in danger since it is such a little dog on a busy street. In my heart there is no way that i could leave the dog out there either. I too would bring the dog in to my home and leave a note for the owner. You are not starting any trouble by doing this it could turn out to be an innocent accident that the dog got out and you could be saving it from having something happen to it. If you just turn a blind eye to this dog and something happens to it you will feel horrible, but at least if you try , you can say that you tried to help if anything happens to him

Wellit's the next door neighbor's dog and not just a dog roaming around loose. I certainly wouldn't call AC. If anything I would want to make sure the owners are out and not in trouble inside the house.

Baby Juliet wrote:
If anything I would want to make sure the owners are out and not in trouble inside the house.
Correct...while keeping the dog safe from danger until the issue can be resolved!

Any updates, Brandy??

I would have gotten control of the dog and then gone and knocked on the neighbours door. If there was no answer I would have either put the dog in the backyard(if its completely fenced), or since its late at night I would have left a note saying you found the dog roaming loose and brought it over to your house to keep it safe.

I've found a couple dogs roaming my neighbourhood over the years. Usually we know where they live and bring them back to their house/owners. A few times we've called the phone # on their tags(if they have one) for the owners to pick them up. Usually the owners are already looking for them or the dog got out of the backyard and they didnt' know it was missing. I've never once had an owner get mad that I took their dog in, most are grateful to get them back.

Brandy I hope you were able to find the dog or atleast tomorrow go over and ask the neighbours if they got him back and he is ok.

Baby Juliet wrote:

SHe is usually off leash, but never in the front, bacause the dangers of theroad.

It also isn't the first time they 'lost her' and had to go find her.

The backyards aren't fenced, its more like everyones backyard faces the same way (a big square) and a big patch of green.
I couldn't find her yesterday but last night when i was in bed , around 2AM i heard someone yell her name, which sounded like her 'dad'.
There are some muddy paw prints on my newly white paved back steps... so i'm guessing she went to our door but we never heard her.
I'm almost certain she's inside now.
I'll ask her owners later, when their back from work.

It seems dad rather let the dog run free and don't feel it's in danger. I know if its my dog that's used to running loose and a new neighbor call AC because of it, I'd be really pissed. If it's been "losted" in just the week that you've been there, it's going to be the normal routine that don't bother the other neighbors.

It's a hard call. If you can't live with a loose dog maybe you can dog sit free when ever you know dad is away and let the dog loose when you hear dad call. Don't know if dad will accept an dog sitting offer if the point is to let his dog have free running time.

Baby Juliet wrote:
It seems dad rather let the dog run free and don't feel it's in danger. I know if its my dog that's used to running loose and a new neighbor call AC because of it, I'd be really p*ssed. If it's been "losted" in just the week that you've been there, it's going to be the normal routine that don't bother the other neighbors.

It's a hard call. If you can't live with a loose dog maybe you can dog sit free when ever you know dad is away and let the dog loose when you hear dad call. Don't know if dad will accept an dog sitting offer if the point is to let his dog have free running time.

I didn't call animal controle.

I wouldn't have

But it's just the safety of the dog I was looking out for. Because she stands absolutly no chance to a raccoon, other then animals shes an amazingly obedient dog, anyone could just snatch her up. I kept checking on her, and when I see she's alone thatsx what i'm going to do. I gave them until 8:30 last night and I would have taken her in. Although I couldn't find her, just hear her.

I can't dog sit,SParky may be fine with her outside, on the lawn, but he's a really territorial dog and bring her in on the regular wouldn't be too good.

Their really into uhm, drugs and stuff so he may have let her out then forgot about her after he was stoned and probably just fell asleep.

Relax. The only real danger is if it isn't scare of cars and strays on to the road.

Raccoons won't bother little dogs. Large hawks and foxes may be a danger. Are they known to be in your area?

Baby Juliet wrote:
It seems dad rather let the dog run free and don't feel it's in danger. I know if its my dog that's used to running loose and a new neighbor call AC because of it, I'd be really p*ssed. If it's been "losted" in just the week that you've been there, it's going to be the normal routine that don't bother the other neighbors.

My neighbors across from me have started letting their dog run loose outdoors. It's a dachshund, and I see it running in the street a lot. If they don't start keeping it fenced or on a leash, I will be calling animal control. For the safety of the dog. I've nearly hit it more than once, as I turn the corner onto my street. (Also, it's been doing it's business in my yard. Stupid people.)

I would intervene however is necessary to keep the dog safe. We have a kindergarten driver who accidentally hit a puppy in front of the owner's daughter all because the owner felt the dog needed to learn to be in the front yard without a leash. Here this 5y/o girl saw her 6m/o or so puppy get hit. Now not only did the dog not survive but this little girl is terrified not only of her bus but her driver. And the driver is totally horrified because she never saw the puppy (it ran up behind the bus as she pulled away). It is NEVER a good idea to leave a dog running loose because accidents happen and some of them are very preventable with just a little bit of responsibility.

Latest posts

Back