Urgent help needed!! Rabbit making weird noises and is lethargic!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie+Snowball+Belle

Reaction score
My 4ish year old female rabbit, Snowball, is making a weird noise and is lethargic (won’t come out of her cage and when she does she hops back in). The noise is sort of a squeak or a wheeze not sure how to describe it more. She tenses up and makes the noise then lays down. She has an irregular heart beat so she can’t get spayed not sure if that’s related... She is drinking normally and I’m not sure about eating as she normally eats it throughout the day but she did eat a few pieces of romaine lettuce (which doesn’t upset her stomach I feed her it for her dinner). The vet was called and they don’t have an appointment till tomorrow. Does anybody know what this is? Is there any way I can help her?

She could have a partial obstruction in her mouth or throat, like a piece of hay stuck. I would keep a close eye on her breathing and eating. If you see any signs of respiratory distress such as mouth breathing or trying to breath with her nose pointed upward; signs of foam, drool, or blood coming from the mouth; or signs of a bloated belly, struggling to stay upright, floppy and semi or non responsive, or stops eating completely for more than 12 hours; phone your vet back and tell them what's happening and that it's an emergency. And if they still can't get you in, ask them to refer you to another clinic.

Back