Urgent help castrated rabbit!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwiincezz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm literally panicking!!

My rabbit Rolo keeps licking his sore scrotum and legs (he got castrated today) I've been given a cream to apply twice a day and the skin soaks it in. He's not licking the operation site so that's a good thing but I'm wondering if I put a diaper on him will that be safe? My bunnies usually wear diapers and never had a problem but then I have to wake up every three hours to change it. It's currently night time in UK so I can't go anywhere now so I need your advice pleaseee help a mother out!! (Rolo is my baby :D)

Last edited:
I would be concerned about a bun possibly eating any of the diaper. Also, I would think having a soiled or wet diaper on him could lead to an infection in the surgery site.

I hope others on here can give you a better suggestion. I know some have head to use a head cone on their buns after neuter/spay.

Maybe he is licking the cream? I've dealt with a spay and neuter for two of my rabbits, I never had to deal with creams. I just had to give them antibiotic and pain meds orally. Is the cream an antibiotic or just for pain? If it's just pain, maybe try seeing if not putting it on gets him to stop licking. I know you said he's not really licking the site, maybe the cream is just sort of getting all over and he wants to lick it off? Actually, if he's not licking the site, there shouldn't be a huge problem.

I agree with PaGal, putting a diaper on him would probably just stop proper air circulation that is critical to his healing.

if your concern is that he's licking the general area, place a gauze pad or two over it and then wrap no-chew vetwrap around him to hold the gauze in place - that's what I did when Nala was licking her incision after her spay. you can get vetwrap from feed stores, possibly from pet stores and vets almost certainly have it.

Speaking of rabbit eating diapers, he did that last night lol, I was holding it to him and he went mad! It was cute and scary =/ anyways I agree about the site getting infected which is why I didn't want to put the diaper on him. His scrotum is red and swelled up so the cream is used as an anti biotic and I was told the cream soaks into the skin, I didn't think that maybe he'll still have that itchy feeling to get rid of it. Thank you for your answers :)

My bunnies usually wear diapers and never had a problem

your bunnies normally wear diapers??? just curious...why?

as to your bunny licking his incision that's a fairly normal reaction, I'd be putting him into a bunny collar so he can't get at it.

your bunnies normally wear diapers??? just curious...why?

as to your bunny licking his incision that's a fairly normal reaction, I'd be putting him into a bunny collar so he can't get at it.

They're both house rabbits and my room isn't big enough for both of them to get exercise so I bring them downstairs to play in the living room, kitchen and wherever they wish to go and because their cages are in my bedroom I have to put a diaper on them so they don't urinate and poo on the carpet (they've already done that lol) anyways I'm going to make them a big cage now that they're both neutered so they can have more access to play at night and also litter train them so they don't have to wear them anymore and saves me money lol. P.s they don't have a problem with it, I change them every two - three hours :)

Wow, would you please be able to post picture of the rabbit wearing a diaper?
Here in US my bunnies were not prescribed any external cream after being neutered.

Latest posts

Back