Urgent but quick question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

Reaction score
Flopsy had her op yesterday. All seems to be wellwith her, wound looking good, she's active, pooping a little, drinkingand weeing normally EXCEPT she won't eat, not anything.

I've been back to the vets and got some liquid feed to syringe into her every three hours.

I also bought some stuff called Nutri Plus because it looks and soundsthe same as the Nutri Cal that's always recommended in such situations.I asked about it and the vet was open to the idea it might bethe same stuff under a different name and read the ingredientscarefully saying there was nothing in there that would contraindicateuse for a rabbit.

It says it's for cats anddogs during growth, illness,convalescence, pregnancy and lactating. It has vits A,D,E B1,B2,B6,B12, Nicotinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Iron, Iodine,Manganese, Magnesium and a calorific value per 100g of 590 Kcal as 141KJ. it's got fats, crude protein, carbohydrates, fibre and minerals invarious quantities.

Is this the same stuff? I'm really hoping so.

I just can't believe she's not eating :(.

The vet said if she isn't eating on her own soon I need to take her back in for an injection to stimulate her gut.

I've tried every treat I can think of but if anyone has any suggestionsapart from knowing about the Nutri Plus they'll be very gratefullyreceived. I'm so worried right now even though I'm still glad she'sbeen done.

As I said in another post yesterday I was told by the vet after the opthat she was already developing cysts on her ovaries even though she'sonly nine months so I don't regret doing it, I just wish she'd eatsomething/anything :(.

Kate

Yes, it's the exact same product (thank you, Google!) :)

Thank you very much :D. I never think of thingslike Google :?. I've just given her some, she hates it! Never mind Ishall persevere.

Kate

Kate it's hard to think under pressure:?

I hope everything works out and Flopsy starts eating soon:D:D

Hi Jan

I hadtwo very traumatic syringe feedings - hard to say whofelt worse about them, and a failed attempt to give her a second doseof Nutri Plus (Flopsy the softy turned into Flopsy Attack Rabbit when Ijust came close to her with it, so since I wanted to keep my fingers Idecided discretion was the better part of valour. She'dobviouslydecided thatI hadn't got a clear enoughmessage about her views on itwhen she spat it out with forcethe first time.)

After that I drove the forty five mile round trip to the nearestsupermarket that would have things to tempt a furious rabbit andreturned home with everything I could remember it was safe for rabbitsto eat. On a particularly tight budgeted month greater love hath noowner etc. I made a further detour to my parents house as they'realways complaining about dandelions and since my wild rabbit moved intothe garden nothing rabbit safe is left in it. My parents don't havewild rabbits as they have a cat who lives on them, something I usuallydislike but was grateful for today.

After all I bought her what she ate of course was the dandelions :?.

She's still furious with me but she looks like she's going to be fine,after the dandelions she ignored all the delicacies but startednibbling pieces of hay crossly. I love that rabbit :D.

I'm guessing that she's going to be fine now that she feels she's made me suffer properly :).

Kate

Put it on her foot, she'll have to lick it off.

Have you tried giving her a teaspoon of rolled oats? Mostbunnies love them and it's at least something in their gut..... you canget the nutrients with other stuff as you go along, but the main thingis to have something in there.....

Keeping her in my prayers!

Easy way to give Nutrical is to place a dab onthe nose or forepaw. Flopsy should lick or "clean" itup. A little messy, perhaps, but less traumaticprobably. You can always go back and clean her up at a laterdate.

Here in the U.S. NutriStat, available at PetSmart is the same asNutriCal...different box, lower price, same thing has been myexperience.

Happy everything else is okay. This is only a minor bump, if this is all the problem(s) you run into.

Buck

Never thought of putting it on theirnose. We always put vaseline on the cats' paws to get them toeat it for their hairballs.

I'd thought of her paw, if not her nose, but Icouldn't get near her, as soon as she smelled it she started boxing andsnapping like an enraged tiger and getting too close would have beenrisking more injury than I was prepared for :shock:.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I did try her on oats at the start as usually she likes them, but not right now.

Buck I agree it's a minor blip compared to what my others were likeafter their ops. She's recovering so much faster and better, and evenher mood suggests that she's well on the way to being fine.

She's not eating normally yet but I wouldn't expect that. However sheis picking at bits and pieces of things I've given her now and I'm notthat worried about her if she goes on like this. I'll just be keeping acareful eye on her.

Kate

I understood from my vet that whenever bunnieshad to have aninjection for an operationthey couldhave problems eating after because it interferes with their digestivesystem. I always make sure bobby as fresh grass as well as hay and Ipick flowers that i know are safe from the garden. I still give him hisdry food andof course greens. The problemis if theydo or don't eat, you still have to make sure it does the full circleand comes out the other end. If you try false feeding her she may taketime trusting you again.

Best of luck

She's pretty much fully recovered now I'm glad tosay, and since I didn't try the Nutri Plus on her again she seems tohave fully forgiven me already.

I've just posted in the new treats thread how much she and the othershave been enjoying all the delicacies I've bought her now that she hasher appetite back.

I'm just amazed after the looooong week of incredible stress the othersput me through after their ops how fast she's back to her usual self.Trying to stop her exercising too much is the biggest problem atm. Thewound doesn't seem to be bothering her at all.

I have been feeding her homeopathic arnica 30 twice a daythough. I took my homeopath friend's word that the pill only has tostay in her mouth less than a second for it to work, which is about thetime it stays there :D. She seems to be right as it's definitelyworking, I do find that a real leap of faith though. Homeopathicmedicine is of course totally different from herbal and allopathicmedicine but still..

Anyway am feeling very good about her condition now :D.

Kate

Back