"Urgent"Bunny Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunfun10

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions. I rescued two bunnies on October 6. They are siblings,(male and female), I was wondering when the best time to neuter the male would be? He is 8 weeks old today. I also want to get him neutered ASAP, but I am not sure when to do it. Just to give you a back ground on my hometown. I live in a small town and the only vets around here neuter and do not spay females. I have looked everywhere and they just refuse to do it. I know all the benefits of getting Nemo spayed, but I will not have her spayed by a vet that is not comfortable with spaying a rabbit. That said, I will be getting Einstein neutered ASAP!!. I guess my question is, when should I separate them? They are a bonded pair. I should add that I also have their daddy, who is getting fixed on the 6th of Nov. That are all in the same cage together. At 8 weeks I don't think she can get pregnant, but you all know rabbits. :). Just let me know if I should separate them NOW!!

P.S. I know that when I got them they were to young to be separated from their mother, but she died and the people were just going to kill them. I live in WY and that is what people do here, when a animals will not survive on their own. I know it's sick!!! So I rescued them from their death, fortunately they started eating on their own and have done fine ever since.

Males can usually be neutered once the testicles drop. This can be anytime between 10 weeks and 4 months. Some develop earlier than others.

I would really not consider rabbits that young as bonded. Rabbits can change a lot as they mature and might not get along once they are a few months old. It is best to separate sexes by 10 weeks old. Ideally both should be neutered before you consider bonding them again. Intact females can be as bad as males as far as fighting can go and just being moody.

The adult male should be separated from them as well. Even when he is neutered, there can still be issues. He should at least be separated from them during his recovery and until the other male is neutered.

I would take the adult out now. The babies can be together for another couple weeks, but then should be separated. Being able to be back together will really depend on them as they mature, it will probably be at least 2 weeks after the surgery, but could be more like 4-6 weeks. Even then, bonding can take time.

Thanks for the information! Dennis is getting neutered Nov 6th. I separated Dennis from the wee ones. Einstein will be neutered as soon as he testicles drop.

In that case, I would suggest that you separate them right after the neuter. He will want some alone time to recuperate from the surgery anyway. She will hit puberty after he does, so as long as you neuter him as soon as he hits his and separate them, you won't have to worry about babies or hormonal fighting.

Latest posts

Back