URGENT APPEAL TO SAVE 300 UVIC RABBITS NOW!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
URGENT APPEAL TO SAVE 300 UVICRABBITS NOW!!!

We need to transport rabbits from Victoria, BC, TO Eastern Texas!

The BC Ministry of the Environment has granted an immediate permit to trap, spay/neuter and transport 300 of the University of Victoria feral rabbits to the Wild Rose Rescue Ranch, a large, awesome wildlife sanctuary in eastern Texas, but there is NO FUNDING for their transportation and the deadlines are extremely tight. We have to pick up and transport the first batch this coming week so we only have DAYS to put this together!

The deadlines and funding needs will be almost impossible to meet without a LOT of help!

It's taken a HUGE effort to save the rabbits from being 'culled' so far, but we're not done yet. The Fur-Bearer Defenders (aka Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals) have made available $50,000 for spays and neuters, but these funds are for spays and neuters only!! (If we can’t transport the rabbits to Texas, the spay/neuter funds will be all for naught). Additional funds raised went to a small local sanctuary, but it’s the Texas sanctuary that is mandated to take the majority of the rabbits. (An additional 700 will need to be transported in the coming months as well).

We need gather support, collect enough donations and make arrangements NOW for the first allotment, otherwise under the terms of the permit, any of the initial 300 rabbits not spayed/neutered and transported in the next two weeks will have to be returned to UVic where they can be killed immediately under UVic’s feral rabbits management plan.

We Need…

- CASH DONATIONS TO COVER VEHICLE, FUEL AND OTHER TRANSPORT COSTS, FENCING AND OTHER EXPENSES!
- Temporary holding areas in WASHINGTON STATE! They need to cross the border almost immediately after the campus hands them over, so we need an area to hold them for a few days until they recover from surgery and we have vehicles to come and pick them up).
- Connections to individuals, groups or companies that would help move the rabbits from the US border to Texas
- Cages! Approved cages or carriers (they will be returned!)
- Transport to and from the Vets (Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland)

DONATIONS ARE BEING COLLECTED BY TRACS. ( http://www.tracs-bc.ca/uvicbun.html )

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD!!! POST THIS EVERYWHERE!!!

This situation is so stressful.
I'm down for transporting them out of Victoria and to clinics in Vancouver. I also have my passport so I can go across the boarder.

Please please please members in Washington.. if you have space to care for some bunnies while they recover please help out these guys. There are bunnies who will not survive this transportation without recovery time.

Im almost 7 hours away :( But I might be able to help still.
Im going to try and see what my husband says.

Lelanatty is close to whitehouse, TX though!
See if you can ask her about helping too.

If they could somehow get to TX I could deliver possibly, Im not sure how far but Im
here to try and help.

To all who are volunteering your help THANK YOU! I am one of the very few rabbit defenders in Victoria. As was written we need cages and transport. UVic is going to 'give' us 96 trapped rabbits supposedly on this Monday night. At the moment we have no means of moving them to the vets. The vets I've spoken to are quite shocked to think that we (UVic actually) wants them neutered then and there. The trip to Texas will be very hard on the bunnies so we need a place for them to recover before we ship them out.

Thank you again for your help. It is sorely needed.

I work in a veterinary clinic. Although the vet isn't rabbit savvy, he's fixed many rabbits. And since I work there, I can have the rabbits done for fairly cheap. They can also recover here.

I have two large dog plastic dog carriers that can transport a family in each one. Definately willing to use them for the cause.

Also Wildlife Rescue of BC has a lot of carriers outside their facility. Can someone with a car contact them?

I really hope that this can come together and the bunnies can get to Texas.

Imade my donation andI hope that others do also ; this would be helping so many rabbits !!
I think of how RO helped with my shelter contest and Iknow that RO can make a huge ccontribution to this huge rescue attempt also.

You may have heard the court case vs UVic has been adjourned until Wednesday the 25th August. Given that there will be no trapping until at least that date. This gives us more time to try to secure funds plus a safe house to hold the rabbits until we transport them.
If you have donated we thank you. And the donation is to TRACS.

Not sure how I can help, but I love about 90 minutes away from Whitehouse, TX. We have plenty of room and I have a big mini van. Please let me know what I can do!

Nicole

Well I don't know at the moment what we need. But seeing you are closer than we are anything will help. We will be using a van I think to go from here. Its at least 50 hours drive.

Keep watching for details about when we leave. Thank you.

depending on when...Im about 2 hours from Whitehouse, im familiar with it..I have a friend who lives there..I am going to see Assasination City play in Dallas Sept 18th.. and skating the banked track in Austin 2 weekends in a row beginning Aug 28th..

I can help..im in the areas...

Bill Jesse wrote:
To all who are volunteering your help THANK YOU! I am one of the very few rabbit defenders in Victoria. As was written we need cages and transport. UVic is going to 'give' us 96 trapped rabbits supposedly on this Monday night. At the moment we have no means of moving them to the vets. The vets I've spoken to are quite shocked to think that we (UVic actually) wants them neutered then and there. The trip to Texas will be very hard on the bunnies so we need a place for them to recover before we ship them out.

Thank you again for your help. It is sorely needed.

Yay, as of today the injunction is still in place, they won't be back in court until Wednesday, so we can breath!! Briefly. ;)

A few days grace anyway!!

:jumpforjoy:

sas

Back