URGENT APPEAL TO SAVE 300 UVIC RABBITS NOW!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GoinBackToCali wrote:
depending on when...Im about 2 hours from Whitehouse, im familiar with it..I have a friend who lives there..I am going to see Assasination City  play in Dallas Sept 18th.. and skating the banked track in Austin 2 weekends in a row beginning Aug 28th..

I can help..im in the areas...

Hey Zin, I might head down as well, maybe ride with the bunnies on a health watch. I might not smell that great when I get there, but hey. ;) Would be way cool to have a Texas meet-up with you, Kat and Peg!

sas :bunnydance:

Nicole or any of you Texas bunny lovers ever been to the Wild Rose Rescue Ranch in Whitehouse? Anyone know anything about it?

Be nice to have some reports as I understand its quite a place and I am sure my buns will love it. I'll miss those little creatures big time.

I -might- be able to help with transporation, depending on the route from Vancouver to Texas. ;) I'm about 20 miles south of the state capital of WA, if that helps any - so if they need tranport down I-5, I might be able to get them from Oly to at least Longview, WA, if not the OR border. ;)

Emily

I am willing to help with a place for a couple bunnies to recover from their surgery. I will ask a couple vets I know here if they can provide a place for some bunnies to recover from their surgeries.

Pipp: please watch for my email tomorrow about the vets in Bremerton, WA helping out. I will give it my best shot to get the vets to help here.

Pipp wrote:
GoinBackToCali wrote:
depending on when...Im about 2 hours from Whitehouse, im familiar with it..I have a friend who lives there..I am going to see Assasination City play in Dallas Sept 18th.. and skating the banked track in Austin 2 weekends in a row beginning Aug 28th..

I can help..im in the areas...

Hey Zin, I might head down as well, maybe ride with the bunnies on a health watch. I might not smell that great when I get there, but hey. ;) Would be way cool to have a Texas meet-up with you, Kat and Peg!

sas :bunnydance:
If you come down to Texas - I'll find a way to make the 8+ hour trip to meet you!

I would offer to help transport rabbits but I'm way way down in the SW corner of Texas....way way down.....

Has anyone contacted Best Friends Animal Sanctuary? They're in Utah, and I know they have worked with Great Lakes Rabbit Sanctuary in the past to provide sanctuary homes for feral rabbits. They're also a really well-respected organization.

Transport to Texas isn't near as much of a problem as transport to and from the Vets in Vancouver and VIctoria, and a holding area in Washington State as close to the CDN border as possible.

We're getting pretty desperate tryign to meet the gov't restrictions and the limitations of the Vets. These rabbits are far from safe. :(

Transport to the Vets will help immediately tho!!

sas

:bump

LOOONG Overdue UPDATE!!

We have 90 of the rabbits spayed and neutered and stashed at the Rabbit Haven in Gig Harbor, another 40 or so getting ready to travel there.

We've had an awesome offer from the Vancouver PNE fairgrounds to help house the bunnies locally, we're trying to get the Ministry to agree and we're VERY optimistic! This will make it SO much easier to handle the next HUGE group of bunnies!

But for the immediate future... The Texas sanctuary people really should stay in Texas to work on getting their Wild Rose Rescue Ranch ready for the rabbits rather than spending a week or more driving up to pick up rabbits, so we're also looking for alternative means of transport, including people who would like to drive to Texas (or at least half-way) to take the first group of rabbits down in a 'bunny caravan' in early October. (Other options are also in the works).

We need to organize SUPPORT en route. We have two potential routes, we really need people to spread the word and to let us know who may be on or close to these routes so we can provide 'pit stops' along the way to feed, water and clean the carriers (and even the volunteers, they'd appreciate it! Throw in a little gas money and you're officially a saint!)

Here are the two potential routes. It might be advantageous to stop at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, UT before going on to Whitehouse, TX, so both routes are reflected here.

These are screen captures, but the 'get directions' feature on Google Maps will let you add destinations and zoom in for a closer look. Here's the link (if it works):

Seattle to Kanab to Whitehouse

Here are the pics:

through Utah...

direct...

ScreenHunter_01Sep261428.gif

And through Utah...

ScreenHunter_02Sep261437.gif

We're also in need of volunteers for work parties for the Wild Rose Rescue Ranch in Texas! We have a contingent from Dallas already making arrangements, there may be one big 'Sanctuary Raising' party (like the old style barn raisers) although almost every weekend in October and maybe beyond will very likely have volunteers coming to the area. But of course there will never be enough help!

The bunnies need a ton of fencing, some pens, little sheds, hidey spots and undercover areas for feeding and play stations, raised huts and platforms (for wet weather) and sections of the barn reconfigured for an indoor/outdoor warren space.

Please help round up as many people and SUPPLIES as possible!! We need building supplies galore donated, in addition to food, hay, pesticide-free tree branches, etc.. Local transport is always needed.

And of course, there's always cash!

http://www.tracs-bc.ca/uvicbun.html

http://wildroserescueranch.com/donate.htm

sas :pleaseplease:

Hi everyone. I live about 12-15 miles from the Wild Rose Rescue Ranch, and have talked to the wife. I took the last urgent appeal for TRACS, to a local radio staion and talked to the program manager. He said he would try to get it aired.

I also took a print of the email to the program director of our local CBS station, and emailed to ABC and NBC, locally. The CBS man said it sounded like a "good story" to report, so I am sure hoping it has been.

I also hope to be able to help transport some of the bunnies when they get close to Tyler, so close to their new home. (Because of family medical problems, I'm not always available, but will be as often as I can, I promise!) I also would love to help with the "barn style" fundraising event, and of course volunteer for the bunnies new home. I know it will take them time to get acclimated, and to learn there are good people who are doing such an awesome job!

I got an email from a friend in England, today, and have sent it to as many people as possible, involved in this event (including Margo deMello). Just want to post it here.

Possible transportaion:

http//www:animalrescueflights.org and http:www.pilotsnpaws.org

Both are groups of private pilots that have transported other animals in need of help, and I sure hope they can help these bunnies!

I have a new name for the uvic bunnies being rescued, and you have my permission to use it: to me they are "United Victorious" bunnies, and I think their name fits them because of compassionate people like you!

I go by "smuzetta" on hopline, but you can call me Suzy. Please reply if you get any news to [email protected]

Latest posts

Back