Update: the ups and downs of Beau's eye and other stories (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beau is in trouble . I have been bonding him with Willow since his dental work and several days ago I noted that hisleft eye looked a little odd but did not go further with it. he has been eating pooping and drinking... and bonding with Willow but today I examined hisleft eye closely

He looks like he has lost hair around his left eye , has a small amount of pus in the corner of the eye and it apperars red in the inner corner of his left eye with swelling around the the outer portion of the eye (closest to his nostrils.)
I am going back and forth thinking that maybe Willow scratched him as she flays out with her front legs when she is upset.

The better part of me thinks that I have noticed some slight irregularity with that area the past few day and not processed it.

I am thinking that this is an infection that is somehow related to his recent molar extractions.

I am very concerned that there is swelling around his left eye.

I have looked at medi-rabit and rabbit references and really cannot diagnose him myself; I don't know what caused this but I hope that it is not an abscess.

Anyway I will be calling the vet in the AM as I don't want to let an eye problem go for more than 24 hrs at the most

Please send good thoughts our way as we can't seem to keep an even keel for very long before being undone again :(

gosh i hope he is ok sending good vibes his way

dear angieluv, I hope your man Beau will recover and be fine. Stressful moments make us scared of what a problem could be, especially left undetected and treated. All your kids have a wonderful mom that will do what's absolutely best for them. Barry often grooms Karla's eye area and it looks non-photogenic...
Sending lots of well-wishes.

Please keep us posted, lotsa TLC to trooper Beau.

Hi maureen, hope it is something minor this time! Maybe he needs antibiotic drops, that would be the easiest route. Good luck with the vet, sorry this is happening to you guys again so soon. :(

Oh no! I've only just seen this... :(

Poor Beau- for such a cute bunny he's had it so rough recently!

I do know though that he's got the very best of human care available- if I were a bunny I'd want you looking after me- and I know he's so well looked after! :)

I hope the vets went ok today if you made it there!

:hug:

Jen xx

We're back..
and she isn't sure what it is except that it is somehow related to the previous surgery or bad teeth on the left side that she didn't do because she didn't want to keep him under.. She placed dye in his left eye and it is supposed to run out his left nostril indicating some occlusion of the tearduct. Right nowbeau is too sore to have it flushed.
He doesn't havea hard encapsulated abscess but hedoes have puffiness and inflammation around the inner part of his eye. His eye is very pusy and sore on one side .

This vet is newto bicillin but she heard about it several weeks ago at an exotics dental conference. I had also told her about it previously. She told me that she is learning this too. ( female vet open to knew ideas :toastingbuns)She gave a me a triple antibiotic optalmic salve to use 3 times perday and told me to go ahead and use bicillin. She doesn't want to use another drug with it yet but I mentioned a few.

This is OK with me. This is the first vet in my life that said to use bicillin. This is a great moment in the history of my life. Someone listened to me.
I know that she will continue to listen to me when I go back in a few weeks so it's possible that if it's a budding abscess we can kick i'ts butt while it is still a youngster.

Don't get me wrong..I am still upset about Beau but for the very first time I have found a vet within driving distance that knows something and if she doesn't she is open minded. This is a huge relief.
Beau is still eating drinking pooping etc. and just had his first injection ..so we'll see how it goes.

She feels that in time that the best thing to do is pull all his teeth. :nerves1
Right now I cannot contemplate that but I will down the road....

Well done on finding an open-minded vet. She is probably pleased too, dealing with someone that has such knowledge :).

I really hope that Beau's treatment works quickly. At least he is still eating etc.

Jan

angieluv wrote:
She feels that in time that the best thing to do is pull all his teeth. :nerves1
Right now I cannot contemplate that but I will down the road....
Poor baby!:cry1: I hope it takes all the problems away doing this.:pray:

I have a call in right now to Beau's original dentist who is a professor at UWL Madison. I want to ask him about the differences in approach to Beau's problems. The new vet is way more aggressive;the experienced vet's approach was somewhat palliative . He is the professor and I have a lot of respect for him. Iwant to determine the reason that Beau has had so much problems with this dental surgery when he had next to no problems when the dentist in Verona did the work.
Beau/s eye looks less swollen and sore than yesterday and he got his 2nd bicillin injection.

I still am concerned that this occured and also that the new dentist wants to remove all his teeth.

I just want another opinion.:?

I talked to Dr Bill Gengler who did Beau's dental surgery the past several years. I explained thatBeau had recently had teeth extracted by a dentist vet in training and that henow he had an possible abscess and sore eye. I told him the whole story.
This man is so gracious.
I asked him why he had taken a more conservative approach to Beau when she had pulled 6 teeth and really wanted to pull them all.
What he told me is sort of what I guessed but it is important for all of us to know re. rabbits

he said that he learned by experience to be conservative and careful in doing dentistry in rabbits. He said that in his earlier day he may have felt (like my new vet) that the whole solution would be to remove all the teeth.

he said that over time he learned that things don't always work out predictably in rabbits. Even removing all the teeth may not prevent other problems later on.
I told him that I was afraid that in the process of being cured that Beau would die.
he understood what I meant and said that is why he does thing in increments .

I told him that I was not going to tell my new vet that I talked to him but that when she suggested doing more oral surgery that I was going to ask her to call him and ask for his opinion ( she has met him at dental conferences.) he agreed to this.
In the meantime I think that Beau's eye is less inflamed and that he has actually improved. but if his tear duct is blocked I don't know what would occur . I am afraid that he will continue to get abscesses

anyway I feel like I have a handle on this in terms of knowledge.

Tonyshuman .. if any of your rabbits ever have dental issues go to Dr. Bill Gengler either at UWL or Verona. he is a keeper.:)

I don't think that she lacked sterile technique or anything like that. I was told by Dr Gengler years ago that Beau really had a lot of infections of tooth roots, malocclusion and generalized periodontal disease. he warned me that Beau would need dental care for his whole life..that it was a genetic problem.

I just feel that probably there was a lot of bacteria in his mouth when she did the work and that it just stirred up a "wasps nest"
I really wish that i could get back to Dr. genglerto finish the work :?

Latest posts

Back