Update on my baby bun's bot fly ordeal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
He is doing great. Thanks everyone for the speedy advice. I was in such a panic that day! Dootsmom, I did as you said and have been cleaning with peroxide and then neosporin twice a day. The wound looks like it's healing and the baby doesn't seem to be having any pain. I separated him to a spare cage to heal but I put him back in the cage with his brothers yesterday (cuz he looked so lonely) I watched for awhile to make sure they wouldn't be too rough with him. It was so sweet, they knew he was sick and both started licking his head. How long should I continue the treatment? Just until the wound is completely gone?

Now I'm trying to figure out how this happened. My buns are in an outdoor shed with the doors kept open during the day. I keep fly traps out there. They are litter boxed trained, I change their boxes everyday and dump the cage tray and clean once a week. I'm wondering if I should take the litter boxes out and just let the poo all fall thru the cage floor to the tray to make sure that there is never any near them.I do not want to go thru this again. That was the most disgusting thing ever (even tho hubby did the work of getting out I still had to SEE it):shock:

I'd definitely treat it until the would is completely healed. Keep a close eye on it.

I'm so glad to hear that the little one is doing better. I'vebeen thinking of you, but was afraid to ask in case things took aturn.

Thank you so much for the reply.

Here's a link to bot fly infestation prevention:http://www.montezumavetclinic.com/html/ask/Bot_cont.htm

-Carolyn

Hi Stef, Yes, keep cleaning it till it heals...rip the scab off and get the gunk out!!! The
Botfly is a nasty critter...kinda looks like a graybumblebee. The mature botfly doesn't feed, it has nomouth. Once it leaves its host, the larvae goesunderground and fully matures there...it emerges as the"fly". The female will also lay her "eggs"on shrubs, low grasses, plants, etc.. The "egg" lays in wait,just like a tick, for an animal to pass by and the cyclebegins. They either enter the nose/mouth or find awound. You see them more in horse/cow country.

Fly traps do not attract them. They do not feed...they mate, lay the "eggs" and die.

Being that they are in the shed, if I were you, I would add screendoors and screen the windows. If you allow them to run in theyard, keep them in a penned area that you can was down, everyday.

The site that Carolyn put up says that Ivermectin is used to get rid ofthem in horses. I use it when I suspect that the buns havepicked up mites. Consult your Vet.

Charlotte

I'm so glad your baby is doing better. I have been wondering and wanted to ask also....but was afraid to do so.

Latest posts

Back