Update on Coco....taken a turn for the worse

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is just a gorgeous girl

Iknow that with people the Drs. always say the longer the situation persists unchanged the worse the prognosis.

In Coco's case she already seems to be getting a little function back. That is extremely impressive.

i really hope for the best for her.. and you

I've been so busy the last few days but this little one has been in my thoughts quite a bit. I was not knowing what to expect when I opened the thread as decisions can be so hard to make. I could respect either way her care would have gone. Earlier on I almost offered to take her in if a comfy, safe transport could be made but I didnt want to sway any points...

Good luck with her, and good job! Now I'm going to take time to go back through the entire thread...

Wishing for the very best for all of you!

After reading this post I had to go and give my Max a long snuggle. I've been through a similar situation and I'm so glad she might be showing some improvement.

Coco is in my thoughts.

:hug2:

Coco is quite the little fighter. She's a sweetheart. I'm sorry you all have to go through this and I cross my fingers that she keeps improving!

IM still in awe at the amount of support from everyone!

Its thursday morning and I will be going over later to check up on Coco before Stephanie gets home. I was happy to hear she is drinking water. When I had her and was coming home from the Vet, she ate up some leafy greens I had. Im going to get her a head of endive to 'dive' into!

We are now faced with the 'what if' scenario of what if she gets better and stabilizes, but doesnt regain the use of her back legs, and does not show signs of being able to function without major human help.

Right now we are looking for options of flooring.
Will update you guys tonight
Nick

I'm am really really hoping that when you go over to check on her that she will have more feeling in her legs
think of all those true stories when Drs say someone will never walk again and then the person recovers and runs a marathon
that's extreme but sometimes function slowly comes back

Just wanted to say that whatever you decide to do with Coco, I know you guys love her and will do the right thing :hug:.

My bridge bunny Jack had a broken back, it broke when he lived with his first owners. Their vet instructed them to keep him in a small area, to make sure that food and water was always at a low level, and to keep him on several layers of well-washed fleece to help with traction and to soak any pee away from his body.

By the time I got Jack, he was very mobile. He could do a funny sort of run and could binky, so there is hope after a hurt back.

I wish you all the luck in the world :hug1.

Michelle

I don't know what to say :(Apart from you two are amazing - you nev er give up Nick -:)

I will be checking back :(

I am so sorry I missed this before! I hope the best for beautiful Coco! Best of luck Nick and Steph, this has to be heartbreaking. Poor Coco. Hopefully she can get on well with possibly a wheelchair if it comes down to it.:(

Hi Nick & Stephanie

I thought you might be interested in reading this article. It explains the effectiveness of some essential oils with regenrating nerve tissue and preventing pain and helping cell renewal. I swear I'm not trying to sell anything, just trying to help, but the purest highest quality therapeutic grade essential oils (that work for this purpose) are made by Young Living Essential Oils because their grown/processed with organic methods and the highest care.

For bunnies, Lavender, Peppermint, Helichrysum, (diluted with some vegetable oil) are safe to use for putting drops along her spine. Coulnd't hurt, might help :). Most of them not only have pain-relieving, nerve regenrating properties but can be anti-inflammatory also.

I use a drop or two of the "bunny-edible" ones pretty regularly like rosemary, thyme, oregano (very diluted with vegetable oil) on my bun when he picks up any fleas, since these ones also have highly antimicrobial properties. Works every time.

http://blog.audreysdream.org/index.php?blog=3&title=essential_oils_for_pain&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.younglivingsuccess.com/2008/02/young-living-es.html

Young Living Site:

http://www.youngliving.com

Let me know if you have any questions I can help with!

We are now looking for someone who may be willing to care for coco if she does indeed pull through this, as it is starting to look like she may.

Regaining use of her legs is very unlikely we feel at this point, however, there are SOME encouraging signs.
I see more tension in the legs when I move them.
One leg has more feeling than the other it seems.
still both are dead though..but I feel like there MAY BE a little improvment..im just not sure..

WATER!!!- Coco just drank from her water bottle for the first time in days!! VERY ENCOURAGING!

FOOD- Coco is eating again, junk, but eating none the less. There is even a sign she is eating her pellets. This is excellent..

BAD---
SHe needs to be cleaned. She goes poopies and they stick to her, as she cant get in and out of a litter box (yet?) so she is in a cage that is a big litter box basically.

Put on a bed with a towel, she moves quite a bit.

So to sum:

We are looking for options..
Can anyone care for coco?
We cannot afford expensive transportation costs.
We do not have the time to care for her properlly.

We are assuming she will continue to improve. That is not certain yet. But we will see. We are going to evaluate again on monday.

POSITIVES- Shes Drinking water from her bottle.
Shes alert
She may be affectionate
Shes going #2
she moves around alot more now. and eats more now..

NEGATIVES-
STILL no sign of urine, but since she just started drinking, we'll see.
at best, maybe a 1% improvement in the back legs?
Cleaning her bottom. Stephanie is going to show me how later tonight.

So while we are trying to assess the situation, if anyone can give us some options as far as who would be possibly willing to assume care for her of the magnitude she needs, so we can use that info to help make a decision of what to do.

Thank You ALL!!
Raspberry82 wrote:
Hi Nick & Stephanie

I thought you might be interested in reading this article. It explains the effectiveness of some essential oils with regenrating nerve tissue and preventing pain and helping cell renewal. I swear I'm not trying to sell anything, just trying to help, but the purest highest quality therapeutic grade essential oils (that work for this purpose) are made by Young Living Essential Oils because their grown/processed with organic methods and the highest care.

For bunnies, Lavender, Peppermint, Helichrysum, (diluted with some vegetable oil) are safe to use for putting drops along her spine. Coulnd't hurt, might help :). Most of them not only have pain-relieving, nerve regenrating properties but can be anti-inflammatory also.

I use a drop or two of the "bunny-edible" ones pretty regularly like rosemary, thyme, oregano (very diluted with vegetable oil) on my bun when he picks up any fleas, since these ones also have highly antimicrobial properties. Works every time.

http://blog.audreysdream.org/index.php?blog=3&title=essential_oils_for_pain&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.younglivingsuccess.com/2008/02/young-living-es.html

Young Living Site:

http://www.youngliving.com

Let me know if you have any questions I can help with!

Nick (and Stephanie),

I am sorry that I was off the RO forums for a few days and missed your original post until now.

I am thinking positive thoughts/prayers for CoCo. :pray: She is such a beautiful bun, and I know that both of you (her human caretakers) are doing everything in your power to help her. I think that's beyond humane and admirable. :hug2:

Please keep us updated on her progress.

Jenk

niko521mac wrote:
We are now looking for someone who may be willing to care for coco if she does indeed pull through this, as it is starting to look like she may.

I had Holiday & Fiesta, two severely splayed bunnies that had mobility issues. My vet is excellent - http://www.avafrick.com

If we can get a transport set up for Coco through the forum she is welcome here and if her vet info could be sent along or faxed to mine I'm sure something positive could happen through all of this.

I'm on my way out of the house for a while but should be back later on this morning or early afternoon.

Its just a though, an offer -

Just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers for Coco, Steph, and Nick. As the former owner of a disabled rabbit, I wanted to toss in a bit (and as always, just my opinion based upon my experience). But first I wanted to say I'm so sorry that you are going through this...:sad:

Taking care of a disabled rabbit is a lot of work. Not everyone is cut out for it, especially if the prognosis is permanent disability. However, despite the work, the emotions, etc., the reward in seeing an otherwise disabled creature enjoying a happy life FAR outweighs the downside. There is a bond that forms between a disabled rabbit and its human that is difficult to describe; I believe one must actually go through the experience in order to understand it. I agree wholeheartedly with what Peg wrote about the three A's assessment in order to determine whether a rabbit should be humanely put down, or given a chance at life. Pain factor is essential to control, interest in life is a must…otherwise keeping any animal alive would be more akin to inhumane treatment than humane. Overall, it is a decision that is very personal to the owner, and is often very difficult to make, given the emotions involved when considering every angle. But first and foremost is always the animal's right to a pain-free, happy life. And as difficult as it is, the owner's situation and personal feelings must be factored in as well.

When I was attempting to come to a decision over what to do about my own rabbit, Raph, I discovered that several vets were almost adamant that the best thing for him was to end his life as soon as he could no longer walk…one vet became rather upset when I did not do as she requested and have him put down immediately. Yet he was a fighter, he loved life, and he persevered…and until the end, he always showed those three A's - alertness, appetite, and affection. I will be the first to say that it was sometimes highly emotional for me, being his lone caregiver, but I will also admit that I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat, just to feel his gentle loving kisses on my hand once more as I brought him his dinner, or sat and stroked his fur. And I will also say this…whenever a rabbit - or any pet - suffers an injury and such decisions need to be made, my heart goes out for that animal's human…because whatever way their decision goes, it is never an easy one, and no one but them will know what is best, for both themselves and their pet.

(((HUGS))) to you both, Steph and Nick. My heart skipped a beat when I read that she has been showing signs of response. Prayers are going out to your sweet little girl….:hug:

[[P.S. Raph could not (or simply would not, I'm not sure) drink water on his own any more once he became disabled, so I used to give him some via a syringe…but I also would put a low-lipped dish of water in his cage and soaked his carrot tops, lettuce, parsley, etc. in it. He seemed to get quite a bit of water into his system that way.]]

niko521mac wrote:
IM still in awe at the amount of support from everyone!

"That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other." ~ Manny, Ice Age.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

:pray:

I just noticed this. Coco is in my thoughts a prayers. For being bad at first and now getting better I would have to say this is truly a miracle taking place. She is fighting for her life.

Prayers for you all...:pray::big kiss:

I just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you both, and Coco. It must be so hard to have to go through this...

I think that you are both very strong, caring people- it's obvious that you both love Coco very much and want what's best for her.

You'll have support from us here whatever happens.

I really hope you continue to see some more improvement...

:hug:

Jen xx

Leaf would be an awesome choice for Coco. She has experience with disabled bunnies and knows what she is getting into.....and she has a great vet nearby (and funds to visit the vet).

I hope it works out that Leaf can get Coco!!!!

:biggrin2:

Forum troubles again for me today - I don't know if my PM's are going through or not so heres a bit I just tried to send to you...

You may want to look into getting a section of the very absorbant Vet Bed that people speak of on the forum. That'll help keep her underside cleaner since it's so absorbant. I have extra if you want me to send you some. It's used...

You may have to get damp (warm, not hot or cold) washcloths and wipe her bum. She may also have problems getting to her ceacals. If she has any irritation, desitin babycream is good to use.

Is she dragging herself?

With a back injury you have to try to prevent further injuries. If she drags with her front legs (and not knowing exactly what type of possible fracture) you may want to make a sled or sling for her... something cheap would be to get a heavy duty shower curtain. You can cut it to body sized, layer it with a hand towel and put her on it PLASTIC DOWN. That'll give her a little more mobility on carpet - the plastic will slide, the hand towel will absorb any friction or heat from sliding - and the ease of sliding rather than dragging will help take any strain off of her back when she makes the effort with her front quarters.

Latest posts

Back