Unusually large appetite today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyMiyo

Reaction score
From what I've read, pet rabbits usually get a fairly strict, consistent diet in order to keep them in healthy weight and prevent unbalancing the gut flora, right?

My Miyo is 7 months old, spayed. I usually give her half a handful of alfalfa pellets in the morning and in the evening, and before I go to bed she gets her veggie supper of 4 stalks of cilantro and 2 leafy stalks of basil. Hay is always available, although she only likes eating it at night, when she's bored in her cage and can't run around the house.

Today when I fed her her morning pellets, she seemed unusually hungry. Instead of eating most of it leisurely like she usually does, leaving some leftovers which she'd get to later after her morning constitutional the house, she seemed to be practically vacuuming the pellets up into her mouth with a degree of, I dunno, desperation. Polished everything off in no time, even licking around for every last little crumb. So I gave her a bit more, and she finished that too.

I thought, okay, this is odd. I pulled out some fresh hay and offered it to her to fill her tummy up with, in case maybe she forgot to eat much last night. She didn't want it, and just ran off to do her thing. I put lots of hay out, and later on she did eat some of it.

5pm rolled around, and I gave her her dinner pellets. Again she polished this off really quick, and was pawing my legs looking for more. I probably shouldn't have given in, but BUNNY BEGGING :cry4:

I gave her more pellets, and she ate all of it too! She usually doesn't even finish one helping of dinner! Anyway I'm ashamed to say I kept giving in to her begging and ended up giving her almost twice her normal amount of veggies before going to bed.

And now I'm regretting it and worried. Will all that excess non-hay nutrition give her poopy bum or diarrhea? And WHY was she so hungry today? I can't figure it out.

Latest posts

Back