unknown rabbit safe foods

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda

Reaction score
there are some foods i have around that i just cant find on a list of bad or good bunny foods!

here are the foods! kiwi, lemon, coconut, limes, **cucumber** (i feed my rabbit these everyother day so i hope they are fine) hydroponic bibb lettuce, raddishes, bay, wild mint ( i think pennyrole mint?) purple cone flower, catnip, egg plant and... i think thats all i can think of now.

if anyone knows if these are safe please tell me.

Yes, Kiwi and cucumber are fine for rabbits.

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/safefoods.htm

For the coconut, I'm still trying to find any info on it. For the lemon and lime I'm not sure (People do feed their rabbits oranges) because with the acids in it can lead to a very bad gut ache (I get this even if I have a slice of lemon in iced tea). I would avoid lemons and limes though, because I don't know if it's ok for them, and I don't think they would even try it with thesour flavour!

When you wrote pennyrole mint did you mean pennyroyal?? If so...that, purple cone flower and catnip(depending where you look) are def no no's!!! We feed radish leaves to our bunns now and again so I know the leaves are OK. I can't help with the rest though!!! HTH! :)

Wow! I didn't read on after I read the cucumber part.. LOL!

The hydroponic bibb lettuce, does it go by a different name? Radishes are fine, leaves and roots. Not sure about the bay, the bay leaves you mean? I don't think so, but I can't remember the plant they come off of. I don't know about the wild mint, but you can get mint in pots to give to them, that's what I do. I can get the name for you tomorrowof it. Don't have a clue about purple cone flower, never heard of it. Does it go by another name? There's a thread on if you can feed catnip, I'll find it for you in a sec. The eggplant fruit is not toxic, but the rest is. Although I would avoid it completely just to be sure. Here's a pretty good list of Toxic plants for rabbits.

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html#e

Here's the catnip link

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=6755&forum_id=1&highlight=Catnip

I've fed radishes as well as leaves and all of mine are fine so I'd assume they were ok. :?I've never fed a lot, they don't like them that much.

thanks for the help. i have fed a couple of raddishes (the actual raddish) before but stoped because i didnt know if they were safe.

yes ment to say pennroyal mint.

and i dont think purple cone flower goes by another name.

and i did mean bay leaves...

also the hydroponic bibb lettuce is just bibb lettuce grown in water (i think) i know you are not suposed to feed iceburg lettuce because of water content and thats why i was askinga bout they bibb lettuce, since its grown in water.

Hydroponic agriculture doesn't really change the nutrients. For example, greenhouse tomatoes and hydroponic tomatoes are more or less the same. Hydroponics just skips the inconvenient soil thing and goes straight to fertilized water.;)

I'm not familiar with bibb lettuce, though. Is it like green leaf lettuce (safe) or iceberg?

Oh, and I've never fed the actual radish but radish leaves are good!

manda wrote:
there are some foods i have around that i just cant find on a list of bad or good bunny foods!

....egg plant.

if anyone knows if these are safe please tell me.

Eggplant is from the nightshade family and I'm pretty sure it should be on the NOT SAFE list.

***runs off to check on this***

I was right....it's on this list. It says the fruit is okay, but all other parts on the plant aren't. IMO...... wouldn't give ANY of it to the buns.

Both Nightshades and Eggplant are listed.

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html
"Where available, the parts of the plants to be avoided are included enclosed in parentheses."

~Jim

manda wrote:
thanks for the help. i have fed a couple of raddishes (the actual raddish) before but stoped because i didnt know if they were safe.

yes ment to say pennroyal mint.

and i dont think purple cone flower goes by another name.

and i did mean bay leaves...

also the hydroponic bibb lettuce is just bibb lettuce grown in water (i think) i know you are not suposed to feed iceburg lettuce because of water content and thats why i was askinga bout they bibb lettuce, since its grown in water.
Bay leaves are formally known as "laurus nobilis"

I'm 99% sure that it comes from the laurel family and is toxic.

Laurel! That's the plant they come from. I was trying to remember the name. I'd just avoid feeding them anyways. Better to be safe than sorry!

Purple Cone flower is also called echinacea! I have 2 varieties that I grow in my gardens as well as a huge amount of different herbs..so I was checking to see what was safe and what wasn't so I could give some to my bunns for treats!! Echinacea is def a big no no!!:(

Ok well cross eggplant off your list:

Plants That Can Kill!
The following is a list of plants that can kill!

Agave (leaves)
Amaryllis (bulbs)
Apple (seeds)
Azalea
Bird of Paradise (seeds)
Bloodroot
Buttercup (leaves)
Black Locust (seeds)
Boxwood (leaves/twigs)
Buckeye (seeds)
Buckthorn (berries)
Caladium