Unknown problem with intestinal track

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @DeSERG I love your beautiful Gingerbread 🥰
I have a couple of tips to help the poop form up, although hopefully the hay will be doing its job quickly.
One of my buns has something called ISC (Intermittent soft Cecltropes, can read about it here, although is not what your bun has by the looks of your photos Intermittent Soft Cecotropes in Rabbits | House Rabbit Society ) and requires me at times to cut him off of everything except hay for at least a week.
I give my buns a clean litterbox every single morning, and start with a thin layer of hay on the bottom. They love to poop while they eat, and it helps to cut down on the hay all over the place) add a good handfull every few hours, till you go to sleep and then change the whole box out in the morning and repeat.
It usually gets him back on track.
Keep us posted 👍

Last edited:
What about probiotics? Should I try to buy it? Just got a message that buying probiotics I've linked above will take 2 weeks.

I would still get it. If you're still having problems in two weeks, it won't hurt to try adding in the probiotics to see if they help. Plus they're always good to have on hand.

For the food just to clarify, it's the Versele Laga Complete Adult rabbit food pellets that I'm suggesting feeding(the one in the first photo of the food you're feeding, on the left), starting at 1/4 cup then decreasing as needed to get your rabbit eating lots of hay, and making sure your rabbit is actually starting to eat the hay well. The Nature Original, the Crispy Snack Fibres, and the Little One Herbal Crunchies, all are loaded with grains, sugars, and way too many carbohydrates, and I definitely would remove those from your rabbits diet.

I'm not sure about those food sticks in the second photo, as I can't see the name so couldn't look up the ingredients. If you want to post the name of the food sticks so I can look up the ingredients, then I can give my opinion if those should or shouldn't be fed as well. Basically you always want the first ingredient in anything you feed rabbits, to be hay, then not too many grains or other high carb foods listed in the rest of the ingredients.

Tips on how to store hay in the link below. Basically indoors in a dry environment and out of direct sunlight is best. And in a container that allows the hay to breath and not retain moisture. If hay is kept dry to keep it from growing mold and going bad, and out of sunlight and losing nutrients, it can be stored for quite a while and still retain a lot of it's nutrition.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Hay

Thank you all for support, guys.
Since yesterday evening I stopped feeding him other feed except of 3-4 pieces Versele laga Complete. Also gave him 2 dry salad leaves. I also changed hay. Left an old one in toilet corner, the new one in feeding corner. He likes that new hay much more than old.
I store a hay indoors, in dark place, in bag and always check it to be good.

He refuses to eat Versele laga Complete. He's very hungry, rushes to the feeding corner when I put a feed. But he see and sniffs it and doesn't eat. I don't try to give him another type of food, but I think that he'll appreciate it. I'm afraid that this situation will lead to fast weight loss.

As long as he is eating Hay, that is the most important

Is he eating a lot of hay, and does the hay have a lot of green leafy strands? Are there any other good quality plain pellets for rabbits available in your country?

This new hay is much more better, than previous. It has a lot at green stands and is more delicate. He eats it with pleasure, but still not enough.
Unfortunately, Versele laga is the best and only one brand who plain pellets. Other rabbits nutrition like Lolo, Vitapol or Belarusian brands, what I can buy here, is based on cereal. And my rabbit doesn't eat it at all.
I live not in capital, but I think that in the Republic at all, rodents supply is not at good level. I've mentioned above that probiotics I can buy only on Poland...

Do you think he's eating a pile of hay the size of his body in a day? Rabbits can actually do alright and maintain a healthy weight, with a good quality leafy grass hay that isn't too coarse, when they eat the hay really well. I've had rabbits that for health reasons, couldn't have pellets, and they were on free fed semi coarse grass hay and select leafy greens/forage, and they were really healthy on this diet.

*edit: Sorry, I didn't realize the thread has reached two pages already. I didn't noticed there were answers after this comment. @JBun has given you good advices already :)

What about probiotics? Should I try to buy it? Just got a message that buying probiotics I've linked above will take 2 weeks.
Was this bene bac? you can still get it but observe your bun first with the change in diet. If bad poop still happens, you can give a bit of bene bac :)

@JBun no, he didn't eat so much hay. He eats a pile size of his head approximately. He has no appetite. And there's no variant to change a hay, because there are are only 3 manufacturers selling here. Hay of two of them I already have, the third is so bad, that I'll never buy it.
@Funny Bunny Bevy TV no, probiotics are not bene bac.
It's Pro-fibre and Bio-lapis. The they both are special for rabbits.
I've already ordered it. And I hope that I'll get it to the end of next week.

That's not enough hay then. How do his poops look now? And you said the vet checked his teeth and trimmed them? Was it the front teeth, the back molars, or both the incisors and molars that the vet trimmed? Does your rabbit seem to chew oddly when eating, drop food from his mouth, or get a drool soaked chin at all?

Can you soak the the pellets in warm water to make a mush, then either see if he'll eat it on his own, from a spoon, or try syringe feeding it to him? He really needs to be getting more food. This pellet mush would need to be made up fresh each time so mold doesn't grow in it, and you would need to give it to him at least every 6-8 hours.

His poop hasn't change.
His front teeth is okay. But molars and gums had problems. And there was caries in one tooth. Vet said, that after 3 weeks of antibiotics his gums have to be good. But didn't check it, because the rabbit has to be sedate. That's no another humanistic way to get into his mouth.
He eats by himself now. And now he's crazy about crunches. But still doesn't it Complete...

Tried to give him a mush of Complete, but he refuses to eat. He still wants any food except of Complete.

I guess you can try more gradually weaning him off the junk food and onto the healthier pellets and hay, by gradually reducing the junk foods over a couple of weeks, so he can get used to having hay and pellets and not as much high grain food. I don't know what else to tell you. But as long as he stays on the high carb grain foods, he'll likely keep having poop problems. It's like a kid, they'll always want to eat the junk food instead of the healthy food. You don't want him to starve himself, but you do want to get him used to eating healthy food and get that junky food out of his diet eventually.

Today i bought a new pellets. Complete sensitive It's written that it's for delicate nutrition. First few pieces rabbit ate with pleasure, but after that the whole day he didn't eat even a piece.
I think that he got teeth problems. Tomorrow we're going to visit out vet. But i don't know how she'll check his mouth. I'm afraid to sedate him. Last time teeth operation was under full anesthesia. But in rabbits current condition i think it's way too risky.
I give him a piece of fresh hay every 1-2 hours. He eats a bit. But still not enough to keep his weight. And he still poops wet...

@DeSERG as long as bunny is eating & drinking and also output of urine and poops, your doing ok.
It's when they stop any that you really need to worry.
I'm glad to hear you are taking bun bun to the vet. It will help in getting the right plan if attack going.

May I suggest a bunny journal. Write for the times you notice bun eating, drinking, urinating, popping so you can provide this to the vet.

You might want to ask your vet to do a blood test to check liver and kidney function. If xrays haven't been done of his body and head, that might be something to try as well. It might not be his teeth. Since you just had his teeth done, and with this weird poop problem, it's possible there is something going on, maybe with his liver. Liver problems can be a cause of abnormal wet or mushy fecal droppings, and could cause discomfort after eating, resulting in the lack of appetite that you're seeing. So those are some other possibilities other than a dental problem, for the symptoms you're seeing.

Latest posts

Back