Unknown breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thumbup Agreed!

Jessica and Crew wrote:
My very first bunny was a mixed breed - everyone had different opinions on what he was, but who cares - Charlie gave me 10 of his 11 years and that's all that mattered =)

What an interesting discussion we've had going on here....and such a cute bunny too.

I would like to remind all of our members of our "forum decorum" policy - and I will include a link to it. I am posting some of it here...

Unacceptable Behavior (Subject toWarnings):

- name calling

- ridiculing of another's opinion

- failure to 'agree to disagree'

- overly abrasive or negative posts on any topic

- personal vendettas

You can find the full policy here.

To those who tried to diffuse the situation - I say a hearty....:goodjob

He definitly has holland lop in him but I would have to agree he loooks like he has Beveren in him aswell. He still could be young and growing. But who knows. I personally don't see the rex in him. JMO.

He is very cute though :)

I sort of wonder if the rabbit could be from an older-style lionhead (single mane) that didn't get the mane - crossed with a mini-rex.

I have had several lionheads (the older style ones) that lost their manes and looked a bit like that. (I also had three rex/lionhead crosses).

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
He definitly has holland lop in him
He 99% for sure does NOT have Holland Lop in him. I can't believe so many people are coming up with that! LOL!

He has very light bone, large ears, and a narrower, snipier face than Hollands do. Although a mix could be from anything, I can nearly guarantee you there is no purebred Holland anywhere in his close history. I do raise them and have seen HL mixes from other people, and the Holland chunkiness, width, and ear length just doesn't warp to that degree.;)

I agree that he looks very much like a Rex mix. Since rex fur is recessive, he will not have the short, dense fur of a rex. But his body type and funny density do suggest that a rex mix is very probable.

ARobinson wrote:
That is NOT a lop. Even a Holland Lop with the tighest crown on the planet doesn't have ears that errect and that prick forward like this bunny, and his face is too "pointed" for a lop. Lops should have very round faces and wide heads. I would be trulyshocked and dumbfoundedif any of the Holland breeders agreed that he had lop in him...

-----

Annie

Having bred Hollands for over 20 years (and my son being one of the former top 20 breeders in the nation), I can say that there is certainlyHollandLop resemblance. I've had purebred Hollands with very tight crowns that strongly resembled the rabbit in question. Not all Hollands have good show type. Some have very erect ears, and lack the desired roundness to the head.

I don't see any resemblance to a Mini Rex. Too "cheeky" ;)The ears are also wide and appear to have the classic Holland thickness.

Pam

While I understand and agree that not all Hollands have great show type - neither do Mini Rex, for that matter ;)- I can say this... If I ever ran across a Holland Lop that had a crown so tight it resembled the rabbit in question - I would question the lop being a purebred! Sorry, but it's true.

I've seen many, many Hollands; when I raised them with my ex-husband, we started off with some pretty sorry stock before culling and bringing in top of the line rabbits and going on to win RIS with a homebred black HL doe... Through the hundreds of lops I had seen or had, I NEVER saw a crown that sorry. ;) Yes, I had rabbits with super tight crowns,airplane ears, and ears that stood straight up - BUT NEVER FACED FORWARD like that one. So the rabbit has thick ears... Many breeds do. My Netherland Dwarfs do. Does that mean the rabbit in question has ND in him too?

Look at that rabbits bone. Does that speak Holland Lop to you? I sure would hope not. Look at it's face... Pointed. Yes, there is a veryGOOD possibility there is lop mixed in there somewhere... But Iagree with OakRidge - there is no lop in his immediate parents, at the very least.

JMO.

pamnock wrote:
ARobinson wrote:
Having bred Hollands for over 20 years (and my son being one of the former top 20 breeders in the nation), I can say that there is certainlyHollandLop resemblance. I've had purebred Hollands with very tight crowns that strongly resembled the rabbit in question. Not all Hollands have good show type. Some have very erect ears, and lack the desired roundness to the head.

I don't see any resemblance to a Mini Rex. Too "cheeky" ;)The ears are also wide and appear to have the classic Holland thickness.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
ARobinson wrote:
That is NOT a lop. Even a Holland Lop with the tighest crown on the planet doesn't have ears that errect and that prick forward like this bunny, and his face is too "pointed" for a lop. Lops should have very round faces and wide heads. I would be trulyshocked and dumbfoundedif any of the Holland breeders agreed that he had lop in him...

-----

Annie

Pam

Pam,

Thank you for coming in and sharing your thoughts on this. It is greatly appreciated.

For those who might not know - Pam not only has breed Holland Lops for years and years - but she's also an ARBA Judge who has studied a great deal about rabbits and from things I've heard - she's an often-requested judge on the Eastern Coast....her expertise is valued that much. We are so fortunate that she is able to come in on discussions like this and help us out - she is one very very busy woman!

I think one thing we can all agree on is that the rabbit is not a purebred but a mix of some sort.

Hey Thumperdude, can you put your location in your profile? Breeds and standards vary from region to region.

Given your use of 'advert' and other terms, I would think you're in the UK, I don't think they use the term Hollands there, but I'll leave that to the Brits and the breeders.

Meanwhile, I'd like to apologize for not nipping the misunderstanding in the bud immediately. All posters are human, someone may get their feathers ruffled over a perceived slight and respond acerbically, but this isn't the usual for this forum at all, we are definitely not a high-school kind of a board. ;)

There's been great input from pros, hobby breeders and pet slaves alike, and most are in agreement, and everybody who isn't has agreed to disagree.

I'm sure more opinions will be forthcoming based on your location and more info.

I'll add my opinion -- he's a cross between cute and gorgeous. ;)

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
Given your use of 'advert' and other terms, I would think you're in the UK, I don't think they use the term Hollands there, but I'll leave that to the Brits and the breeders.
Hi,

Yes, I am from the UK. In England the Holland lop is called a mini lop.

Will have a go at weighing him after it stops raining.

Cheers Thumperdude.

I would love to see a side view picture of him as the way his head is sitting makes it quite hard to see face type or body type which is making it more difficult to get an idea of breeds in him however he is very sweet ;)

I can for sure tell you there is NO beveren in him at all he is far to small and face shape is wrong. poor shaped dwarf lops can have a face shape similar to that. they also have a narrower crown over here compared to mini and german lops and a pointier face. If say a dwarf lop was put through a mini rex (which we do not have a lot of over here tbh) then he would not get rex fur as its a recessive trait which I think Oakridge mentioned earlier. very hard to tell tbh

However to get a better idea It wouldbe betterto see a front on shot and a side view as well as his weight ;)

Back