Unknown breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumperdude95

Reaction score
Hi

My rabbit Thumper is an unknown breed as the people who live opposite me found him in their back garden, and since I already had a rabbit, they gave him to me (after putting adverts in the local paper and radio station). So I was wondering if any of you could tell me what you think he is.

random011.jpg

Cheers Thumperdude.

I am not good on breeds but all the same he is beautiful and the picture is amazing xxx I had a similar bunny once called sparky, but he wasnt as fluffy x Sorry i couldnt help someone will be able to xx

Does his fur feel like velvet? It's hard to say, but from the photos I would guess Mini Rex or even Mini Rex mix. He's cute!

-----

Annie

Obviously you don't. That rabbit very much resembles a Mini Rex or Mini Rex mix, with poor quality fur... As I have a small herd of them now, and have bred them in the past, I think I know what a Mini Rex looks like. Thank you.

-----

Annie

Ok, I own a Mini Rex Thank You. And I think any good breeder can tell you that doesn't look like one. The fur is WAY to long.

ARobinson wrote:
Obviously you don't. That rabbit very much resembles a Mini Rex or Mini Rex mix, with poor quality fur... As I have a small herd of them now, and have bred them in the past, I think I know what a Mini Rex looks like. Thank you.

-----

Annie

Hey,

I don't want you to argue over it, it's what you think he is, not what he is, no one will ever actually know for sure, and what part of the fur is poor quality?

Cheers Thumperdude

What I mean, is, IF he is a purebred Mini Rex (NOT saying he is, that is an IF), his fur is too long and doesn't look to have the right texture. Of course, we are all going by pictures, so who knows? Photos can lie.

In the end, he is just a pet, right? So it doesn't really matter what he is. He's cute. ;)

thumperdude95 wrote:
Hey,

I don't want you to argue over it, it's what you think he is, not what he is, no one will ever actually know for sure, and what part of the fur is poor quality?

Cheers Thumperdude

I think he's lovely :)

Do his ears ever sort of look like 'aeroplane ears' so they stick out sideways? There is something in him that sort of looks like there could be lop in there to me, but hey, I know nothing :D

Doesn't look like a rex or mini rex to me, head is the wrong shape and fur is the wrong texture, definatly a mix if he does have rex or mini rex in him.

thumperdude- Sometimes it is impossible to tell the breed of a rabbit because they are too mixed, but it is a gorgeus rabbit! Mixes are great because they are unique ;)

i was gonna say that to, about the lop. his face kinda has a holland lop look to it and his ears seem wide too.

That is NOT a lop. Even a Holland Lop with the tighest crown on the planet doesn't have ears that errect and that prick forward like this bunny, and his face is too "pointed" for a lop. Lops should have very round faces and wide heads. I would be trulyshocked and dumbfoundedif any of the Holland breeders agreed that he had lop in him...

-----

Annie

Like I said, I know nothing :) But I have definitely seen a lop cross that looks similar so I was just throwing it out there.

It's all cool though, I'm not bothered if I'm wrong, at the end of the day, he is a beautiful guy, whatever his heritage.

Nice quote in your signature. ;)

I'm not bothered if I am wrong; it is very possible I AM wrong. I can live with that, it's happened before, it will happen again. Ican say I AM bothered by know-it-alls who openly admit that they DONT know what they are talking about, and then keep arguing it just because they have or have had one in the past. Since when does owning a particular breed of anything make one an expert? ;)

-----

Annie

Thanks :) It's good isn't it. Very useful, I've found it to be.

Maybe it's just a time to throw out suggestions and speculate but not debate per se? Because really, none of us know (unless Pam Nock arrives, because she will know), we are just saying what we see with our own individual eyes and experiences, and all those are valued opinions and suggestions :)

Personally, I can't see the rex in him, doesn't mean it's not there, just means I can't see it, but you can. That's cool, I respect that. The more differing opinions I see the better, in my eyes, because I learn more, just a shame when those with differing opinions can't always appreciate that.

Annie calm down! There is NO need to argue over this.
I raise, breed and show Mini Rex and I have seen Rex and this rabbit is defnintly not either one.

Thumperdude: I can't quite put my finger on what he may be right now but I will look in my standard and see if I can come up with any idea of what he may be.
But he is defintley one gorgeous bun!

ARobinson wrote:
That is NOT a lop. Even a Holland Lop with the tighest crown on the planet doesn't have ears that errect and that prick forward like this bunny, and his face is too "pointed" for a lop. Lops should have very round faces and wide heads. I would be trulyshocked and dumbfoundedif any of the Holland breeders agreed that he had lop in him...

-----

Annie
Maybe not a holland lop, but other kinds of lops should not be ruled out, I have a lionlop who was lop eared and then lost her lop ears as she grew, now she holds her ears just like that ;)

Latest posts

Back