Unfriendly bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b24karrot

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a problem. My downy who is a little over a year used to be VERY loving, but she had a real hard time when she was fixed, I ended up having to hand feed and water her along with meds for 9 days and since then she wants almost nothing to do with us. So because she seemed to unhappy I thought a boy friend would be in order. So I found a nice boy at the local humane society and went to get him, but while there I saw another boy, 3 months old who was given up and was 24 hours away from being put down, so ofcourse I got him.
Blake was so afraid of hands and people that just walking through the house sent him running under furniture, I am not sure if he was mistreated or just not treated at all. He is better now after a month and a half, but he still won't let us pet him at all, he runs and thumps. Downy is much happier, back to doing her happy dance, but still is really not interested in us.
I want to love my bunnies and I want them to love me back. How do I do this. We have tried offering food, treats, laying on the floor with them, I do not know what else to do. I want to be able to have downy lay on my chest again and give me bunny kisses like she used to and I want Blake to be just as conmfortable, any ideas, please help, I miss my baby and I want blake to love us too.

Thank you for rescuing them, how neat that must have felt. How long have you had them? I also adopted my girl, Angel, from HRS and she had had 3 homes before I got her and it took her a really, really long time to come up to us, be close, lick me, not be scared of me and accept me. That took like almost 2 years!!:shock:

BUT, I wouldn't trade that for anything, once they get your trust, it's GOLD;).

Just keep persevering. Two of our bunnies will often scurry away from us...but when we lie on the floor they'll come up to investigate and play.

Perhaps if you take the bunny into a small room where there is little or no furniture to hide under...lie or sit on the floor in there. (The bathroom might be a good place for this.) Just stay there for a while and talk gently to the bunny. Perhaps take along some hay or a snack to lure him/her to you. Try this for a few minutes every day, increasing the time as you go and see what happens.

To be honest, I've never tried this with a bunny (but I have used the technique successfully with a scared kitty...minus the hay :biggrin2:).

Our 2 females buns will still run from us most times...but that is because they do not want to be placed back in their cages...they love free time!!!

Also, I've found that the more I handle my rabbits and spend time with them, the more they enjoy my company.

Hope this helps you somewhat. :bunny19

We adopted our little Sofi from the local HRSS as a companion for Happy and initially, she was frightned by almost anything (except Happy). It took her 3 weeks before she would come in from our balcony (our buns are free-roaming), and it took her another 2 weeks or so for every room in the house. But slowly and surely she would.

I understand that Sofi was used a baby-machine and was confined to a tiny cage before being rescued by the authorities and fostered by HRSS members.

It has been some months now but Sofi has really warmed up to me - she sometimes licks my knee when I'm on the floor and I've seen her do half-binks (she's just lazy). Sometimes she still exhibits her agressiveness when my hands are above and in front of her. She will often lunge until she recognizes me. Sofi has made real improvements because I do not give up on her and I know that she will calm down more over the years.

I don't blame Sofi for her behaviour. after all, she was mistreated and her babies constantly taken from here, plus being stuck in a small space.....

Just be patient they should eventually trust you. It may take a while but it will be well worth it for you and your rabbits.:cool:

I agree with the others, just try to be patient and keep doing what you are doing, it took about 3 years to get my girlsas friendly as theyare nowbut it was so worth it.:D

Good luck, and don't give up!:)

One of my does, Charity, was pretty badly abused when I got her. I had to work with her for a year and half before she would let me pet her, even. As a prey animal, once a rabbit loses it's trust in people, it is pretty hard to get it back. I think your new bunny will come around, but he will do it on his schedule.

I have had my girl Downy for about a year and Blake only about 6 weeks. I just miss my girl so much, she used to lay on my chest and just kiss my face like crazy, but after her trauma over being fixed I think she associates all the force feedings and meds for 9 days with me, and that was not pleasant for her. Every four hours with the critical care and water and every 8 hours with the meds, she was in such pain, and I think because of it she no longer trusts me, she does not understand that I saved her. I hope you are all right about them coming around, I do not want to be distant from my buns, they are my babies and I will always take care of them, I just wish they loved us a little more.

Well Downy is STILL unfriendly. She just never came around after being fixed and the trouble she had. Will she ever come around? Will she ever be the loving bun I had before? I wish I knew I miss her soooo much.
And my Blake, he will not let you within 2 feet of him, he runs away right away.
Will these buns ever love us again? Any thoughts?

I didn't read through all this but here's my suggestion:

1. Lay on the floor and do stuff, sit and read, watch tv, keep her in the room with you when you do this. Let her come to you and explore. Have something like cilantro for treats to encourage her to visit with you.

2. Keep things quiet and easy without a lot of commotion from the stereo or tv being loud while you work with her.

3. Find a sweet voice/word she can recognize when you are giving her a treat and she is near you on her own. I call Bo - My boo! and he knows that is a good thing and he's happy and I am. "where's my BOO!" and he comes to me if he wants - if he doesn't I leave him be if I can.

Latest posts

Back