unexplained weight gain

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnymommy76

Reaction score
Southern Suburb of Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wrigley has gained quit a bit of unexplained weight the past month and it has me a little concerned. His diet hasn't changed he eats red leaf, green leaf and romaine lettuce(3 cups) along with his timothy hay. I purposely cut way back on fruit and treats to see if his weight would stabilize and that didn't do anything.
Can rabbits have thyroid problems? someone else just told me that weight gain can be related with a heart problem, is this true?

Sorry about that, he has gained a little over a pound within 4 wks or so, I thought that was a lot for him, you can tell by holding him, he has gained. and everyone that comes over comments on how "fat" he has gotten. He doesn't eat pellets. Here is his other info:

Description (Breed, color, weight) Holland Lop

Age 3 yrs old Today!!!

Sex Male

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: See Previous post

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? Yes
- when did they last use their litterbox? 1/2 hr ago
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? None
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? Yesterdays News

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? Yes
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? Just GI Slow downs
- is s/he on any medications? no

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat?
- when and what did s/he eat last? Eating Greens now
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) No

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?no, hopping okay
- is the rabbit molting? at the end of a moult
- any weight loss?No
- any sign of drooling? wet face? No
- runny eyes? No
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? did have a sneezing attack about a week ago
- is s/he breathing normally as far as i know

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No
- has the rabbit been outdoors? not recently, and only for 15-20 min if i do let him out
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? Dog had kennel cough about a 5 wks ago

Okay, I am no expert in this, so hopefully someone else will come along with some info, but you say he has had GI problems?

As a result, the most common GI problem in rabbits is obesity, which causes a number of health difficulties in rabbits.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/obese.shtml

But I'm not entirely sure if that means a GI problem could CAUSE obesity or what....?

He doesn't eat pellets??!!!! And he is getting tubby? Okay...that would indicate some sort of problem to me- what, I don't know.

How much does he actually weigh? The comparison between that and his weight gain would be easier. If it's a quarter of his total weight or something then that is very...surprising.

Hopefully a more experienced person will come along.

Jen

Yeah he eats them, I don't really know what they are looking like these days, I don't see them because he is eating them.
Oh, his "normal" weight is just a little over 4lbs., now he is 5 lbs 2 oz. he gained this within about 4 weeks and no pellets, I am stumped!

The fact that he is eating all his caecals implies to me that his diet is fine, and that's not what is causing his weight gain.

Which meaaanss...something else.

But I'm stumped too :dunno

Jen

Rabbits do get hypothyrodism, heart and kidney issues, tumors and other things that will cause sudden weight gain.

And this is definitely sudden weight gain.

It may be something as simple as a change in nutrient levels in his veggies or pellets, an age thing or whatever, but I'd get him checked out.

I've actually been trying to research thyroid issues the last few days, but it's pretty complicated. I'll see what I can sort out for the short version.

sas :clover:

First of all, happy birthday to him! Today is my dog's 14th birthday. :)
And secondly, yeah, if he's on a pellet-free diet and experiencing this significant of a weight gain, I'd definitely bring him in to the vet.
Be sure to let us know what you find out!

Latest posts

Back