unexplained hair loss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindiwe

Reaction score
Hi all

One of my Nethie Dwarf girls is losing fur on her face - started around her nose and now seems to be starting around her eyes too.

She is otherwise happy - eating, drinking, pooping all fine, plenty binkies at playtime...And her sister is showing no signs whatsoever.

What do you think is going on?

thanks

Lindi

if she is not shedding all over it most likely is fur mites or anothe skin parasite which is usually treated with ivermection injection or revolution. You should take her to a rabbit saavy vet for a skin scraping.; sometimes mites cannot be visualized even then but are treated symptomatically.

is she attempting to scratch the area. is their any redness of the skin?
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11992&forum_id=10

If her and her sister are bonded, could it be over grooming? I would inclined to think if it is overgrooming that there is a reason for it, so looking for a reason for the baldy would still be important, but I just wanted to throw something else out there.

There is alot of grooming going on, which is what I thought it was...Her sister seems to use it to assert dominance. She isn't scratching and there is no redness.

I am going to take them both to the vet on Wednesday, but we don't have much in the way of rabbit-savvy vets here so I wanted to get some ideas before I go in.

Even if it is just overgrooming, it can be a sign of something bad going on underneath that. She may have an infection like Pam described, or it could be runny eyes and nose that are being groomed to the point of removing the hair (an upper respiratory infection).

Latest posts

Back