unexpected litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camie8

Reaction score
On june 22nd i was surprised to find a litter of four kits in my rabbits cage. We lost the runt later on in the day, so now i am left with 3 beautiful babies. Two that both looked to be broken blacks when they were born, and one that looked as if it would be a chinchilla or black. The one broken has remained black like the doe and the other broken has started to get a brownish color. The one that looked to be black has also changed to be brown but he has a silver color on his sides. Do you guys have any ideas on what color the brown ones are? pics below

(i do not know what colors are in the doe and bucks lines as one is from a pet store and the other the local tractor supply)

doe (mini rex mix)

doe.jpg

buck (netherland dwarf)

buck.jpg

just turning brown at 4 days old

4days2.jpg

6 days old and nowhas silver on the sides

6days2.jpg

the two brokens at 5 days old

5days3.jpg

Nancy McClelland wrote:
The babies are cute but momma is not a Rex fur type--the biggest giveaway is the full size set of whiskers. Rex bunnies have very short whiskers and the fur looks very compact and has the look and feel of velvet.
It says mini rex mix for the mom's breed. That looks to be very accurate.

The babies that are turning brown will be the same color as the dad. His color is called chestnut. So you have one chestnut, one broken chestnut, and one broken black. Those are some very healthy babies! :biggrin:

You have one broken black, one broken chestnut and one solid chestnut. The dad's color is called chestnut and the mom is of course broken black. Chestnuts can sometimes look black at birth. :D

The dad is chinchilla. The lighting in my room makes him look chestnut sorry about that. But thank you for the color on the two babies.:biggrin:

CCWelch wrote:
If dad is chinchilla that would make the babies probably steel.
No it would not. The genes that make the dad a chinchilla (the C series) have nothing to do with the genes that make rabbits steel (the E series). The C genes from the mother are dominant over the chinchilla gene in the dad and it makes the babies full color chestnut, instead of chinchilla. In order for the babies to be steel, both parents would have to carry the Es gene which is the non-extension of color that causes steel.

Sorry for getting into genetics stuff, but the babies are definitely chestnut.

heres a few better pics of mommy and daddy (they are a little old)...please excuse the slight mess andthe dirty looks from daddy hes good at giving them.

100_2033.jpg

100_1982.jpg

100_2028.jpg

100_2032.jpg

I'm confused, how was the litter unexpected if the parents are together? I would expect another batch if they are still together, after all, they breed like rabbits. ;)

The babies are adorable, more pictures are needed for sure! :)

MiniLopHop wrote:
I'm confused, how was the litter unexpected if the parents are together? I would expect another batch if they are still together, after all, they breed like rabbits. ;)

The babies are adorable, more pictures are needed for sure! :)
Definitely agree. They are pretty obvious about going about it...

Both had their own cages and still do. What happened was I went to school and about half way through the day I got a text message from my mother that my rabbits were in my brothers room and she couldnt catch them no matter what she did. My little brother being the sneek that he is at 2 years old went in my room and opened the cages to give them "extra" food. He ended up knocking over something and my mom heard the crash and yelled at him to get out of there. So he dropped the bag and left the cages wide open and ran :rollseyes. My mom wouldnt of even known they were out if the two bunsdidnt chase my cat through her room.

The only time they were allowed together other than thatone timeis whenI am sitting with them and watching them. When I see Cosmo start to sniff PixiesbumI seperate them and put them both back in their cages. My motherpalpated pixies at two weeks from that day they got outand felt nothing (yes my mom knew what she was looking for..she used to raise buns lol). Pixie also wasnt getting any bigger or showing any signs that she was pregnant. So we thought nothing of it until that day they were born.

Thats how it was an unexpected litter:eek:hwell:they are super cute so its all good :)

will post pictures in a few

Back