Unexpected Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloria97

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

About 3 weeks ago we found two bunnies in the woods at the end of our road. It was pretty clear they weren't wild but domestic rabbits. We were able to bring (they came right up to us and we could even pet them) back to our house. I contacted all neighbors, local animal rescues, police, etc. to report we found lost bunnies and to see if any reports of missing bunnies had been filed. No reports had been made. We decided to hold on to them for a bit to see if anyone did eventually report them missing and were considering keeping them.

Well much to our surprise 4 days later we woke up to 10 babies (one was stillborn). We then assumed they probably were dumped due to one being pregnant and neither being fixed. We immediately separated the two adults and 4 days later got the male adult fixed.

All 9 babies are now about 17 days old and seem to be doing great! But I have to admit we know nothing about raising bunnies. Which forum is the best to post to ask questions about caring for the babies? Thank you so much in advance!

(Black bunny is the male and the calico is the female)IMG_2589.JPGIMG_2590.JPG

Well, first, thank you for taking those two in.

There isn't much to raising bunnies, just give them enough space and lots of food, whatever you feed keep their diet the same for the next months. What do you feed? There might be some adjustments to do since there are some misconceptions about rabbit diets, - thanks Bugs Bunny ;).
Do any changes in their diet gradually over 2 weeks, like when introducing new vegetables. Most easy and good staple food is hay.
Make sure the little ones don't escape, if they do, don't panic, stay calm.

Then there's another thing about rabbits someone should tell about: Nothing gets a buck as horny as a doe giving birth, there are chances that you'll get more bunnies 4 weeks after she gave birth if the buck was with her, usually back-to-back litters are a lot smaller though. Just be prepared, when you notice her nesting you'll need to remove the older kits, they would trample the nest and raid the milk buffet, they'll be old enough to live on their own then.

Then, when they are 10-12weeks, you'll need to seperate boys from girls, or you'll be wading in baby bunnies knee deep in no time.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response!

We were/are concerned she may be pregnant again. Thank you for tip as far as separating the first litter from the second.

The babies are currently nibbling on alfalfa hay and alfalfa hay based pellets. We have been feeding that to the mom as well along with endless timothy hay. I realized the whole "bugs bunny gets a carrot" misconception after researching. We do give the adults a carrot or apple piece once a day, but that is it. Initially we only had romaine lettuce on hand when we first got them...which they really like so we have continued to give that to them.

We luckily have friends/family that want a baby bunny after they have weaned (we read 8-9 weeks old). So almost all of them (6 so far) will be going to a good home.

Is it ok to start handling the babies to get them used to it? Mom bunny is OK with my husband and I moving the babies while cleaning out their nest/hutch. She seems to like us alot, always head butting us and wanting to be pet.

Latest posts

Back