Um....bonded rabbits, not bonded, I don't know what to title this??????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyB

Reaction score
So I got a lop about a week ago. He was with a little female, HoneyGirl, who was supposed to be adopted by someone else. That someone else backed out, so the woman called me and asked if I wanted her, since she and Thumper are friends. I said yes.

About half an hour ago, I tried putting them in a cage together, since they know each other. Neither is fixed, but I don't plan on letting them be alone together unsupervised. The second Honeygirl saw Thumper, she freaked out. She was squeaking really loudly and just freaking out. She calmed down once I held her and put her in her own cage and put a blanket over the cage.

Why's she acting that way?

Is she just excited to see Thumper?

Is she just scared of the new home?

Or is she a hormonal pregnant rabbit saying "get the **** away from me before I kill you!"?

I do know the woman DID have them in a cage together alone, so she could be pregnant, except she's only 4 months old. Is that old enough?

Or does she really just not like Thumper and the woman lied telling me they were friends?

DO NOT LET THEM NEAR EACH OTHER UNTIL BOTHER ARE SPAYED AND NEUTERED.

Yes 4 months is old enough to be pregnant.
Bonds can change when rabbits mature. Young rabbits should never be considered truely bonded until both are spayed/neutered and 2+ months after that and their hormones have dissapeared.
When you seperate a truely bonded pair you break the bond so their no longer bonded (yours never were)

But why is she having squeaking fits. Its only when she's near him. My cats have gone up and seen her and she doesn't care about them. I've got them in separate cages, but near each other so they can still see each other and I uncovered her and she had a fit when she saw him?

Not to mention, from what the lady says, Thumper was abandoned by his mother and Honey's mother adopted him and fed him and raised him as her own. I mean, he's a lop, she's a lionhead, but there's still no bond....no nothing? They've been together since they were newborns.

So? That means nothing.
Baby bonds are NOT real bonds.
Even if they were adults and both fixed and really bonded. That bond was broken when they were seperated.
Obviously she doesnt want him near her. Honestly dont bother bonding them until their both fixed, or just give her back. No guarantees they will bond at all.

I'm not giving her back!

I'll just keep them separated until they're fixed.

Experienced breeder

keeping male female together til they are 4 months old is asking for bred rabbits particularly in the small breeds.

what does the squeaking mean?
1. pregnant doe trying to show her alarm being near a buck
OR
2. young doe freaked out by having a buck near her.

Either way... prepare for babies anytime.

Watch for signs of nesting behaviour
1. digging in corner of cage
2. pulling fur
3. in the week proceeding birth a marked loss of appetite.
4. nestbuilding

She might or might not be bred. You don't know. BUT COUNT ON IT. four months of age is when many breeders start their young does. Its not too young.

Well, the woman DID have them together. And she hasn't eaten much, but she IS in a new house. She has also been digging in the corner of the cage. Haven't seen her pulling her fur out yet, but she has been sort of burrowing into her blankets. She just had herself all covered up under her blanket a few minutes ago.

What will I need to do to prepare for babies? She and Thumper are separated.

Latest posts

Back