uh oh...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nekobunny

Reaction score
My roomate has two bunnies, one female and one male. At least that's what she TOLD me. She insisted that one was female, and the other male, so I thought it might be nice to havea friend for Thumper my 1 year old doe. so I brought thumper into the room with the "female", and as soon as it saw thumper it dashed towards her and started mounting her furiously. I was horrified and ran towards them to seperate them. Poor thumper was visibly terrified for a few minutes afterwards. Im really worried she might be pregnant - how long does it take for a male to impregnate a female? This was maybe 7 seconds.

And yes, I know i should have spayed her. I was looking into it and am actually saving up some money for the procedure now. It was a stupid mishap on my part.

Thanks guys.

Well how about you check the other bunnies and see if that one is a female or male first and then go form there. Good luck, hope that its a girl bun that mounted her and she was just trying to be dominant

:yeahthat:

She may not be pregnant, females will hump each other as a form of dominance.
I would check the rabbit that did the humping to make sure first, then go from there.
If she is confirmed a male I would start preparing for kits, to be safe.

Did Thumper grunt and fall over? Because if it did, then im almost certain that Thumper is a male and that would mean that he "got her" if you know what I mean ;) Otherwise if it was just humping, it is most likely a dominance thing. Be careful with that because it could easily lead to fighting. :)

nekobunny wrote:
Im really worried she might be pregnant - how long does it take for a male to impregnate a female? This was maybe 7 seconds.

Uh... less than seven seconds.

Sorry to say that this does sound more like a male/female interaction. None of my females immediately mount like that, there is a bit of initial interaction.

Can you take a good look at the other bunny?

1199_292302_040000003.gif

1199_292302_030000002.gif

How close are you to having the spay budget? I think if you can get her done in the next couple of weeks, it will be prudent.

Are your friend's bunnies both not fixed? How does she manage that? :?

sas :goodluck:

I don't know how ethical or safe this is (I've only heard of it so don't slate me please), but I know that some people actually spay their rabbit if they think they possibly pregnant and they were going to spay them anyway. So....I think if you are VERY quick in spaying her then you could avoid this.

A man came into the vets I worked at(this was a large animal vets I worked at for a month or so- not the one i worked at for years) saying that he wanted his doe spayed, and she was pregnant. He also stated that he would drown the kits if she had them, so the vets had no choice. The kits were still breathing on their own when they spayed her, so they had to euthinase each one. That was horrific, and a few of the vets refused to take any part in it.

Now I am NOT (NOT NOT NOT, just so people don't misread my post) saying at ALL that you should do this. I think that is pretty awful. But if you act in the next few days then I don't see it should be a problem, because the kits will only be a bundle of undifferentiated cells (meaning no form, except just some cells that could turn into anything).

Jen

We actually had a (very) early emergency spay done. I emphasize that it was very early in the pregnancy and the kits were not yet viable. Our vet will not do it if she feels that the kits are too far along.

Hey everyone,

sorry I haven't updated on thumpers status! I didn't even realize people were still posting on this thread ( I stopped receiving notices a while back) thank you all for your advice. In the end it was a false alarm; she is still sans kits. I intend to have her spayed in the fall when I retrun to school. Thumper is now a year and a half!

Latest posts

Back