Ugh, that rabbit is trouble!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neejchee

Reaction score
Yesterday I cleaned out my rabbits' hutch and run properly for the first time since moving it under the balcony last week. They're inside/outside rabbits so spend a lot of time in with me, and of course I change their litter trays every day, but the new position - while being much safer for them from both predators and weather - is a PitA to get properly into so I'll only do a full clean once a week.

Sammy was spending some time snuggling with my daughter, and Miranda was very curiously watching my every move. I cleaned out the entire hutch and the floor of the 3m run, which is NOT easy and they had made a big mess of. It was spotless.

Half an hour later I looked down at them and saw Miranda standing next to one of the litter boxes, biting the side and lifting it up to tip all the hay out! Once she'd finished with that one she sat in the other tray and dug furiously, flinging hay out the back! The run is an absolute mess now. That girl is TROUBLE. She doesn't normally do anything like that, she just felt the need to 'fix' the cleaning I'd done. :nonono:

This is how the run looks after Miranda is done with it. Floor covered in hay, nothing touching the edges.

20140523_104726.jpg

To keep Thumper from moving his litter box and making a mess I drilled two holes at the front of the litter box on one side and two more holes at the back on the same side. I then looped a zip tie through the front holes and one through the back holes. I then use a shower curtain hook by passing it through the zip tie loop and then hook it to the side of the cage. You can get a pack of twelve shower curtain hooks for under $3. It only takes a moment to hook or unhook and saves so much time in cleaning.

Since your bun digs though you may want to think about replacing the litter boxes with a plastic storage box. You can always cut part of one side lower for the buns to hop in and out. That's what I have for my girls. If I had to do it over again though I would still use a plastic storage box but leave the lid on and cut a hole just big enough for them to easily get in and out of.

You could either use two smaller ones or one larger one. I have a large one since the girls always seem to munch on their hay at the same time.

Great ideas, thanks! Has Thumper ever tried hard to move the tray since you started hooking it? Miranda likes to have temper tantrums when she can't rearrange things to her liking.

Back