Two (spay and neutered) Rabbits, approx. 3 years old and in good health. Salem, Oregon

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a loving home for two rabbits. I am not sure how to post a photo. The rabbits are between 3 and 4 years old. They are named George and Gracie. I was told (from the previous owner) that they are half Flemish Giant and half New Zealand.

Gracie is very beautiful and she is black with “otter” markings. People have said that she looks like a Rex. I was told that the rabbits are siblings and that they have been together since birth. George is quite handsome and he is sweet and goofy. He is the more outgoing of the pair. Before he was rehomed, he liked to free roam the house and he would sit on the couch with his previous family and watch T.V. George is pretty easy going but neither rabbits like to be held and both a rather shy. Gracie is very shy. They have come to trust me and I can pet them but they are mostly independent and stay close to one another and snuggle and groom each other when they are not napping. They are incredibly sweet together.

They are about 12 pounds each. They live in an air conditioned room in a 12 foot long enclosure that is constructed by combing three Great Dane sized XL dog crates.

The rabbits were adopted during the pandemic. They were owned by a family with five young children. The parents were both school teachers and the rabbits were a family “project” during the time when all classes were virtual. They were spay and neutered and I adopted them when they were about six months old. The parents had to return to the classroom and they could no longer find the time to care for the rabbits.

I have four rabbits but I have devised very serious sinusitis that has caused repeated sinus infections. I am keeping two of the rabbits who are not “adoptable” be use the other rabbits are more “feral” (for lack of a better term) and one of the other rabbits has issues with hip dysplasia and may have a spinal injury,

The rabbits are all very healthy. It has been over two years since I have had a veterinarian look at them (my finances are a mess right now).

I take very good care of the rabbits and I feed them quality hay, organic salads, 6 Oz each of Timothy pellets daily and only filters water. I groom them and cut their nails, I wear an N95 when I take care of them but my allergies are chronic a
and I need surgery. The sinusitis became much worse over the last three years.

I reached out to the local humane society but they don’t help with rabbits and so, they are on a waiting list at the portland Humane Society but I sincerely doubt they will ever contact me and I do not think I would have the heart to surrender them unless I was certain that they had a loving home ready go adopt. I posted them several times in craigslist but I pulled the posting be use, like their previous owner, the only responses I got were from unsavory characters who would not provide a home but just wanted them as “meat” rabbits.

I am committed to finding Gracie and George a good home with experienced rabbit people who will care for them with kindness and good support for a forever home commitment. I want them to have a better life if I rehome them.

In the past, the veterinarians who saw them felt that I was providing a very good home with excellent care. I just don’t see this being sustainable with my sinus problems. I am switching from Timothy go Orchard grass but it is impossible to avoid the dust and fur in their indoor space and I don’t think I can provide a proper environment for them outdoors. Again, I don’t have the finances to do more for them than I am currently providing, sadly. I am doing my very best.

They are well loved and I want a better life for them. If I can reduce te rabbit group to the other two, it will be easier to clean the room and keep the allergens under control. I hire pet sitters when needed but this is all beyond what I can reasonably sustain. I had no idea how expensive and challenging this would be. I wanted to save their lives but I didn’t realize how hard it would be to keep four large rabbits.

I have been trying to find a loving home for two rabbits. I am not sure how to post a photo. The rabbits are between 3 and 4 years old. They are named George and Gracie. I was told (from the previous owner) that they are half Flemish Giant and half New Zealand.

Gracie is very beautiful and she is black with “otter” markings. People have said that she looks like a Rex. I was told that the rabbits are siblings and that they have been together since birth. George is quite handsome and he is sweet and goofy. He is the more outgoing of the pair. Before he was rehomed, he liked to free roam the house and he would sit on the couch with his previous family and watch T.V. George is pretty easy going but neither rabbits like to be held and both a rather shy. Gracie is very shy. They have come to trust me and I can pet them but they are mostly independent and stay close to one another and snuggle and groom each other when they are not napping. They are incredibly sweet together.

They are about 12 pounds each. They live in an air conditioned room in a 12 foot long enclosure that is constructed by combing three Great Dane sized XL dog crates.

The rabbits were adopted during the pandemic. They were owned by a family with five young children. The parents were both school teachers and the rabbits were a family “project” during the time when all classes were virtual. They were spay and neutered and I adopted them when they were about six months old. The parents had to return to the classroom and they could no longer find the time to care for the rabbits.

I have four rabbits but I have devised very serious sinusitis that has caused repeated sinus infections. I am keeping two of the rabbits who are not “adoptable” be use the other rabbits are more “feral” (for lack of a better term) and one of the other rabbits has issues with hip dysplasia and may have a spinal injury,

The rabbits are all very healthy. It has been over two years since I have had a veterinarian look at them (my finances are a mess right now).

I take very good care of the rabbits and I feed them quality hay, organic salads, 6 Oz each of Timothy pellets daily and only filters water. I groom them and cut their nails, I wear an N95 when I take care of them but my allergies are chronic a

I reached out to the local humane society but they don’t help with rabbits and so, they are on a waiting list at the portland Humane Society but I sincerely doubt they will ever contact me and I do not think I would have the heart to surrender them unless I was certain that they had a loving home ready go adopt. I posted them several times in craigslist but I pulled the posting be use, like their previous owner, the only responses I got were from unsavory characters who would not provide a home but just wanted them as “meat” rabbits.

I am committed to finding Gracie and George a good home with experienced rabbit people who will care for them with kindness and good support for a forever home commitment. I want them to have a better life if I rehome them.

In the past, the veterinarians who saw them felt that I was providing a very good home with excellent care. I just don’t see this being sustainable with my sinus problems. I am switching from Timothy go Orchard grass but it is impossible to avoid the dust and fur in their indoor space and I don’t think I can provide a proper environment for them outdoors. Again, I don’t have the finances to do more for them than I am currently providing, sadly. I am doing my very best.

They are well loved and I want a better life for them. If I can reduce te rabbit group to the other two, it will be easier to clean the room and keep the allergens under control. I hire pet sitters when needed but this is all beyond what I can reasonably sustain. I had no idea how expensive and challenging this would be. I wanted to save their lives but I didn’t realize how hard it would be to keep four large rabbits.
PS. George is white with black spots

Hello…hope this helps!
Hit the attach files green button and then go to your photos and attach pics of your two bunnies. Hope you have awesome luck finding a wonderful forever home for George and GRACIE
HUGS 👍👍🙏🙏🐇🐇
Thank you! I just took several photos and attached them. I hope you can see them. I also made a $15 one time donation (anonymously) to avoid posting my full name. Are you able to see the photos? I do not have a computer and I am doing all of this in my iPhone. Thank you!

Attachments

• 6908F061-94DE-465D-A97C-535F03825D8A.jpeg
    6908F061-94DE-465D-A97C-535F03825D8A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • E20BBD4E-5915-4784-82AC-A9495A256CD3.jpeg
    E20BBD4E-5915-4784-82AC-A9495A256CD3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0CE0C4CA-7AD1-4A74-A9C1-03C562F5873A.jpeg
    0CE0C4CA-7AD1-4A74-A9C1-03C562F5873A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • E0B3B926-36D5-4293-A4EE-F05E6B2078CE.jpeg
    E0B3B926-36D5-4293-A4EE-F05E6B2078CE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • A0586AF9-657D-4194-A4CA-9CFDC5684BF0.jpeg
    A0586AF9-657D-4194-A4CA-9CFDC5684BF0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • C35E416F-D87C-4A80-AA4F-2589FE953285.jpeg
    C35E416F-D87C-4A80-AA4F-2589FE953285.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 35F09F2D-DBFC-4866-A6C2-F33669703A77.jpeg
    35F09F2D-DBFC-4866-A6C2-F33669703A77.jpeg
  • ED4F3765-CD36-47AC-AF5A-483E37EE502E.jpeg
    ED4F3765-CD36-47AC-AF5A-483E37EE502E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • A84738AE-7B2B-422C-99D1-8622DD212C49.jpeg
    A84738AE-7B2B-422C-99D1-8622DD212C49.jpeg
  • 27867057-622E-4930-96D3-EA60D105E55C.jpeg
    27867057-622E-4930-96D3-EA60D105E55C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Oh my goodness! They are darling! Oh I’m sorry you have to let them go but I do understand!
I’m sure people seeing them they should go to good home quickly! They are beautiful precious lops!
Big hugs to you all::::George and Gracie and Mom🤗🤗🤗😢😢💕❤️💕❤️🥰
Thank you for your kindness. ❤️

@TheBunnyRoom, is Rabbit Advocates an option for your already sp/eutered duo? They melted my heart by all the pics you posted.

I hope they find a devoted home. There are many instances of humans dumping their rabbits in the wild. It is essential to screen well and contact a vet when people do inquire. References need to be checked so they do not transition to malicious humans.

I do not have personal experiences with Rabbit Advocates although you may want to reach out and get a vibe, or get on a wait list. Craigslist is not the forum that invites the right type of devoted "parents."

https://rabbitadvocates.org/

Sorelle Saidman, aka Pipp, was a regular participant on RO when I first joined. You may want to reach out in case their dedicated group has resources or suggestions for finding the appropriate forever-home.

I understand about shelters as not all screen meticulously. Some shelters may view their surrendered pets as "inventory." It also sounds like the Pacific NW has a lot of ferals and humans view the abandoned pets as (well, I don't want to type the word that comes to mind.)

I am way too far away to be of help other than to suggest options for Gracie and George. They are gorgeous! Bestow kisses for me, please.

I hear you on "unsavory characters." -- Thank you for doing the best screening to ensure they will live happily with another adult who will cherish them well into their golden years.

You've got a really nice private bedroom space arrangement for the bunnies in your home.

Safe from predators is key!

https://rabbitats.org/who-we-are/

Sorelle Saidman, aka Pipp, was a regular participant on RO when I first joined. You may want to reach out in case their dedicated group has resources or suggestions for finding the appropriate forever-home.

I understand about shelters as not all screen meticulously. Some shelters may view their surrendered pets as "inventory." It also sounds like the Pacific NW has a lot of ferals and humans view the abandoned pets as (well, I don't want to type the word that comes to mind.)

I am way too far away to be of help other than to suggest options for Gracie and George. They are gorgeous! Bestow kisses for me, please.

I hear you on "unsavory characters." -- Thank you for doing the best screening to ensure they will live happily with another adult who will cherish them well into their golden years.

You've got a really nice private bedroom space arrangement for the bunnies in your home.

Thank you. Yes, I reached out to Rabbit Advocates in the past and I tried again tonight and added a link to this post. I feel desperate at this point. The rabbits are very safe and well cared. I have been trying to find a home for them for over a year. Sadly, there are lots of rabbits that get dumped. I adopted them all from Craiglist because no one else would take them. I was not expecting to develop such serious sinus issues. It is very hard to keep the fur and dust under control. I am doing my best and I hire help when I can. The rabbits are comfortable and very healthy but the situation is not sustainable.

@TheBunnyRoom, is Rabbit Advocates an option for your already sp/eutered duo? They melted my heart by all the pics you posted.

I hope they find a devoted home. There are many instances of humans dumping their rabbits in the wild. It is essential to screen well and contact a vet when people do inquire. References need to be checked so they do not transition to malicious humans.

I do not have personal experiences with Rabbit Advocates although you may want to reach out and get a vibe, or get on a wait list. Craigslist is not the forum that invites the right type of devoted "parents."

https://rabbitadvocates.org/

Thank you. I tried Rabbit Advocates in the past (over a year ago) and I reached out to them again tonight with a link to this thread. The rabbits will remain safe and well cared for. This is just a very difficult situation and it is not sustainable.

@The Bunny Room , I am a regular browser on various Facebook forums for elderbuns, disabled buns, adoptable house buns, and reputable rescues. There are thousands who need dedicated homes, and the local shelters keep on receiving more surrenders. It is frustrating to see the quanity of rabbits who need rescue spots. I won't go to Craiglist anymore as that is even more depressing.

I'm in a network with FB friends who do their best to capture strays and get rabbits fixed so babies are not born into the world where there is not enough homes.

I hope in time you can find the right fit for George and Gracie.

Your vulnerable dependents are super fortunate you will not give them away and will carefully screen.

Predators outside and human predators conceal themselves so everything you are currently doing to find a responsible new guardian is admirable.

Your furry loves are comfortable and healthy; best news at the moment!

@The Bunny Room , I am a regular browser on various Facebook forums for elderbuns, disabled buns, adoptable house buns, and reputable rescues. There are thousands who need dedicated homes, and the local shelters keep on receiving more surrenders. It is frustrating to see the quanity of rabbits who need rescue spots. I won't go to Craiglist anymore as that is even more depressing.

I'm in a network with FB friends who do their best to capture strays and get rabbits fixed so babies are not born into the world where there is not enough homes.

I hope in time you can find the right fit for George and Gracie.

Your vulnerable dependents are super fortunate you will not give them away and will carefully screen.

Predators outside and human predators conceal themselves so everything you are currently doing to find a responsible new guardian is admirable.

Your furry loves are comfortable and healthy; best news at the moment!
Thank you for your kindness. It is important to me that Gracie and George are safe, healthy and happy. I tried to Jon the PNW Rabbit group on Facebook but there was some kind of a glitch and I could not get the answers to the screening questions to post and so they rejected my request to join. I am out of ideas

Thank you for your kindness. It is important to me that Gracie and George are safe, healthy and happy. I tried to Jon the PNW Rabbit group on Facebook but there was some kind of a glitch and I could not get the answers to the screening questions to post and so they rejected my request to join. I am out of ideas
All of the rabbit rescue groups I contacted locally are overwhelmed. It is so sad. Everyone wants a cute baby bunny but very few people are willing to adopt an adult rabbit and even fewer are willing to adopt a bonded pair despite the fact that rabbits are very social animals. I wish more was done to restrict breeding and to encourage adoption. Rabbits deserve better from humans.

@The Bunny Room , we're on the same page. It's the babies that "fly off the shelves" vs. an established bonded pair who need to be rehomed.

Yes, places get overwhelmed. Truly not enough homes and knowledgeable humans to welcome/accept a furry lagomorph family member for their entire lifetime.

Thank you for all you are doing to ensure Gracie and George transition to a safe, non-hoarding, and caring new parent. I hope your sinus concerns can handle a bit more time with caring for your crew. Plus G&G will always have a safe enclosure and are never subjected to predators or fearful conditions.

A rescue friend in PA receives approx. 20 surrender requests a day. Then is notified of abandoned rabbits in the area. smh.

As a sanctuary for disabled and special needs' buns, and during years spent at the shelter and listing rescues on Petfinder after they've been sp/eutered, we cannot take in more or our current dependents would not receive focused TLC.

Well-said. Rabbits deserve better from humans is the truth.

I'll check back when I can. I feel for George and Gracie, and have enormous respect for all you are doing.

Latest posts

Back