Two Month bunny and Fresh Veggies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mistycrow

Reaction score
I just adopted a two month old rabbit and there is much discussion on the gerbil forum between bunny owners as to if I should feed her fresh veggies or not and I wanted your opinions. I am currently feeding her veggies now since she was getting fed fresh food where she was before and she has had no issues with it so far.

What does your vet say?

I would think that if she is used to it it's fine, it's mostly the transition to veggies if done too young can cause stomach upset. You also want to make sure she's eating plenty of hay and the veggies are more the icing on the cake, so to say :)

Its important to introduce new food slowly, so it's important to know what she was eating in the nest box and take it from there. If you don't know, proceed with caution, but by all means proceed.

Just slowly.

sas :bunnydance:

I got her off of craigs list and the teen had them outside in an all wire cage about the size to fit a couple large rats in. Wire floor. Green grass from the lawn and maybe some pellets I think I saw. The ad said there were three bunnies, then two when I got Willow. I don't think they knew much about rabbit care. That cage was so small. I hope that last bun bun found a good home too. He was a skittish one. So I am not entirely sure if she was fed fresh veggies aside from the lawn grass. Once I got home though I gave her timothy hay and pellets. The next day I got broccoli, carrots and kale. She is in love with the kale and just eats that right up. Still seems to have no issues with the amount of greens, and orange, she's getting. I usually give her a carrot to gnaw at and a small leaf of kale. I gave her some carrots at first. Once I saw she had no issues with it I gave her more.

Be careful with the carrot, as it contains lots of sugar. Got to limit the sugar intake (I tease my bun, it is cause she is so sweet already) because it can cause diabetic problems. If veggies are the icing on the cake, carrots are the decorative but edible curls of chocolate. Good luck with your bun, sounds like Willow has a super awesome hoomin now :)

When i frist got my malachi, he was abbout 2 months old. I didnt know about waiting on the veggies. I stratd giving him them around 3 and a half months. He is now little overa year.And no problems so far. :)

Mistycrow wrote:
Oh ok. Jeez... what are we gonna do with all the carrots I bought now? lol What about broccoli?
Eat them yourself :)

Id stay away from Broccoli too, bunnys cant vomit (so they cant burp) and broccoli is one of those veggies that can help make you gassy. Same with cabbages
Kale is similar but not as badly. Spinach can causeiron and calcium issues if fed in excess as well.

And remember with some "bunny safe lists" just because an item is on there doesn't mean its safe in large ammounts, like carrots are safe but only a little bit every so often.

Most great veggies to offer are leafy greens and herbs.
You can cheat and grab one of those plastic containers "spring mix" they sell, then theres no deciding what to get and theres already a variety.

Heres a few I've grown for my guys that theyve loved.

Collard greens are great
Lettuce (no iceberg)
Kale
CILANTRO - its almost like bunny crack, plus its a natural gas med in a way, and helps to filter your blood, great herb. it does alot of magical things.
Dill, Oregano, Sage, Basil, mint.
My guys always appreciate Bok Choy but because its a cabbage it needs to be fed sparringly. Its not as bad as say broccoli.
Beet, raddish, turnip - Tops only, my guys loved those.

Latest posts

Back