Two females living in peace? And homing babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
I have baby bunnies that I'm trying to find homes for. The litter was a total freak accident (they have been completely separated for 10 months so.. ?) and now I am starting to kind of freak out about trying to find them good homes. I've only told people I personally know so far since they're people I know I can trust, and I've still told a few people no that I knew wouldn't take good care of them. I told a guy at my work he could have one and he wants 2 females and he wants to keep them together. I warned him that once they go through their lovely "rabbit puberty" they will most likely fight. But will this fighting be permanent? Or is it possible that they will just establish dominance and then be okay with eachother? I know probably all rabbits are different but I'd like to know what the odds are of this working out.

Also if anyone can give me any good tips on finding good homes for them I would so much appreciate it!! I want to make sure they will be indoors ( I live in New York so not ideal for them to be outside) and won't just be stuffed in a dirty cage their whole life. I know I thought I knew a lot about rabbits when I got mine but learned I really had no clue! So I'm not sure how educated people are about them, like about how they need time out of their cage everyday, how careful you have to be with their diet, etc. and I don't want to seem like a jerk constantly yelling all this stuff at people lol. But I'd also rather be safe than sorry, which could lead to me never finding homes I approve of for them, which will lead to me keeping them all and going insane haha. Thanks!!

You could make up a nice info sheet that would go home with the rabbit, and mention that rabbits are harder to care for than most people realize. As for keeping two females together, apparently it's easier than two males, but they should get spayed anyway to prevent reproductive cancer down the road. Watch out for kids and people with snakes :( not to be prejudiced against kids but I don't think a rabbit is an appropriate pet for a child, unless the parent is willing and glad to take on most of the responsibility. Good luck, of course you're overprotective, they're like your babies too!

ways to find good homes for bunnies

1. charge money. People are more apt to care for something properly that they've spent money on. (so more than $5.)

2. provide transition feed when selling

3. provide a rabbit care sheet. Don't be anal about it, just mention the need for fresh water and food daily. A varied diet is healthiest. Start new food slowly. pen size should be the biggest they can afford etc.. flesh it out a bit but don't go overboard.

4. ask basic questions: any allergies to cats, have they cared for critters before, if so... how did that go, and then assume the BEST of people. Seriously. People can be jerks, but for the most part most are not and they will provide care for their bunny and if they can't they will rehome it.

Thank you!! I thought about printing something out, I think that's what I'll do. That's what I'm afraid of, crossing the line from being slightly over protective to going completely over board lol. But they are just too sweet to go to someone who won't take real care of them!! And I kind of don't want them to go to someone with kids, I feel horrible and yes some kids are well behaved but they really aren't good pets for rough little kids. I'm hoping the guy that wants to take the two will spay them but I don't want to push the issue since that's the only possible home I have lined up so far and I know he will take good care of them. I was planning on charging $20 for them for people I know. Then if I have to post an add online or something I was going to charge like $35-40 just to be safe. They're mixed breed, does that sound fair? I feel weird telling people I know that I want money for them but I'm not going to just give them away, you never know with people.

I wouldn't say you are going to overboard. These are practically your babies and you are assuring that they go to permanent homes. If they arnt willing to put as much work as you, maybe it isn't a good enough home. It may take longer when you have such criteria, but much more worth it for the quality of life. I wouldn't adopt out to a family that is making the pet for the child, but I have 5 siblings (two that are under 5) that all do wonderfully around my rabbits. It is just a matter of watching them interact and teaching them about the pets. Thank you for being such a responsible rabbit owner! It makes me smile seeing this much dedication!

I had two girls who were sister and they were fine even gave birth together in the same cage but you never know

Latest posts

Back