Two babies at once?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meeku

Reaction score
My appologies if this is in the wrong place or I have missed information elsewhere. I searched some old threads for awhile to find what I was looking for but nothing specificly answered my question.

I've had bunnies in the past, but both were females and house rabbits. One never actually liked me or the other bun. Spaying didn't even keep her from growling or clawing at me. She now lives out with my mom in a fenced off area with chickens, ducks, and the new man bun in her life. My other female passed away this last winter.

We've recently moved into a new home and it's a bit too small to have a rabbit cage around in the house. So I have been thinking about the outside. My idea is to have an almost dog kennel like area. A concrete floor for easy cleaning and no escape tunnels, covered by a shade screen for added safety from above. Plenty of space and a shelter for cozying up. I live in NE Indiana so the weather doesn't get extremely harsh either way. If anything really crazy would happen I could move the bun(s) to a crate into the garage (or house if REALLY bad) until weather evens out. The yard is fenced and I could let said rabbit(s) roam and play while supervised daily.

The breed I have in mind for this is the Flemish Giant. I really like the big buns and I just think they'd be an awesome pet to have. The fiance also likes their size and thats a plus when wanting to get a new pet. ;)

Would I be able to get two young boys at the same time to grow up together as a happy bonded pair? Would problems arise if they were never neutered? Is this entire idea of mine a disaster in the making?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your replies!

You'll need to have some kind of housing inside their enclosure - you plan on that right? Not just a shaded area... Also you'll have to ensure they are safe from predators wherever you are located (city: dogs, cats, country: Just about everything on four legs! or no legs, if it's a snake.)

With either sex, females and males, when having two, almost always if they are not spayed and neutered problems will arise when they become sexually mature. I've had two unspayed does come from the SPCA who lived together and were adults and didn't fight, but they got spayed anyway. However males are worse - when they are sexually mature they will fight and their fights can be terrible, and happen even though you think they are getting along. I had a woman call me last year crying because her two males that had been living together for two years got in a fight, and one of the males bit the other males ears off. They really will need to be neutered if kept together, rabbits, just like any other animals, can and will get aggressive with competition as they see it.

I think it's a great idea to get two bunnies and bond them - I always think rabbits are happiest in pairs (or trios...) if it's possible. If you neuter the boys, they should be just fine together. Do you have a clinic that offers reasonable neuters anywhere nearby? You could consider adopting two neutered males from a rescue as well - or another pair, usually their spay/neuter is in their adoption price and it can save you money, and help a bunny too!

I'm sure lots more will chime in with help. Good luck!! You've come to the right place to learn and it's great that you are getting everything ready before hand. :)Very smart of you ;)

Oh of course, I'd definitely have a housing of sorts for them to cuddle up into to get out of rain and such. It would be cruel not to. There are some small dogs in the area as well as one random cat, but I've never seen any of the dogs roaming free. We'd have the yard fence and the kennel fence plus the screen top for them to get through before reaching any bunnies.

There is a vet nearby that spayed my first rabbit. I think at the time it was about $75 plus the office visit. I suppose a female pair would be safer. I just always want a male pet and end up with a girlie. :D I'd do male/female but I fear the time bewteen age of sexual maturity and age of safe for surgery.

As far as rescue goes, I have looked, but only see the little tykes in there. Most of the rescues I see also won't adopt out unless it's a house pet. I want these buns specifically for outdoors. I'm always looking at petfinder though. So if a pair ever came up I'd definitely consider it.

Edit: Did the concrete flooring sound ok? I figured it would be easy to scoop and spray out frequently. As well as keep them from digging out and help keep nails short. They could stretch out on the cool concrete in the summer and I could put down extra straw in the winter.

It is true most rescues only adopt out house bunnies and I know why and I agree, but I know a lot of very good rabbit owners don't get the chance of giving a bunny a good home sometimes. Same with adopting out dogs - every situation needs to be looked at unless it's obviously completely bad or wrong.

A neutered boy and spayed girl make good pairs, I have one and they are inseparable, probably my closest bonded pair. They are seniors though - they got surrendered when they got old. That's not bad for a spay - a neuter should be cheaper :)To be honest - (and I'm not being sexist! hehe) I love boy bunnies. I've never until recently had a female who bonded so closely to me, like my Mini Rex, Noel, so I have been taught that girls can be just as wonderful... but my boys have so much personality so much of the time.

I think the concrete would be fine for cleaning, like you said. As long as they have areas that are soft to lie on, like you said with straw and blankets, etc. Obviously it's perfect so they cannot dig out. Glad you are keeping fencing in mind, I just wanted to make sure because there are lots of trouble makers out there! ;)In the photo philes section there are pictures of lots of peoples set ups, indoors and outdoors, so if you haven't looked it might be a good place to get ideas for your setup :)

Also - don't just check rabbit rescues, check your local SPCA - they often get in large breed rabbits and will also spay/neuter. I was just involved with one in Ontario that took in over 300 Flemmies and New Zealand's, so just keep your eye for situations like that. :)

Male animals in general seem to be easier to win over. At least in my experience. I'll check out those photos too, thanks!

I looked at the pictures, but nothing really looked similar to what I have in mind. Here is a picture of the fencing I have in mind. A little pricey brand new, but around here you can normally find kennels in the paper for sale quite often.

kennel.jpg

I like that it would be sturdy enough to keep them in and strong enough to keep other things out. This is also about the size I am looking into. I feel it's large enough to have a shelter, food and water in it with room to spare for stretching.

Your best bet if you have space for it is something like a small playhouse with that run attached to the front. Then they can be locked away in the playhouse at night and can run around between the two in the day.

Hrm, would it be neccesary to lock them away at night? I live in town so big predators aren't an issue, if that's one of the reasons. Otherwise I can't think of anything that would cause a need for them to be enclosed at night time.

I live in a town with hundreds of gardens and streets everywhere and i saw a fox in my garden the other day. My friend lives 2 mins from the train station in a tiny concreted yard with neighbours on every side and a few months ago his rabbit got eaten by a fox. Its just not worth risking.

It also gives a bit more security for them and also from the elements. My silly bunny will sit out in the rain if we have a sudden shower when he has a perfectly good house to hide in.

:yeahthat:

I live out in the bush and I lock everyone away every night and even when I'm gone to town - sheep, goats, you name it. Even if I lived in town, I would not have the rabbits loose in the pen at night, like pinksalamander said there are still many dangers. It's really not safe to leave them loose at night since they are prey to so many kinds of animals. The chances of them getting hurt and very great.

Latest posts

Back