Trying to work out free time schdules

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
So I've been going through a lot of drama with my bunnies lately. Berry spent 5 days at the vets, and during that time Ziggy and Barnaby got in a fight. Nothing too serious, but Ziggy pulled out a clumb of Barnaby's fur and now Barnaby is ticked and doesn't want anything to do with Ziggy. I seperated the two boys. Bleh, I miss my happy bunny trio!

When Berry came home I kept her alone for a few days, but let each of the boys spend some time with her. I ended up today moving her back in with Ziggy, but Barnaby is still by himself. I'd like to eventually try to rebond him into the trio, but for now, I'm trying to work out how to give them all enough time to play out of their cage. Before when they where all getting along, they had free range of their room. But now, I think Barnaby needs some time away from Zigs.

This might get a little confusing. I have a three story leith petwerks cage. To seperate Barnaby from Ziggy and Berry, I took one of the ramps off the cage and used a big piece of plastic to close off the hole. So the cage is now sectioned off into the bottom floor as one cage, and the top two floors as a second cage. Right now, Berry and Ziggy have the bottom floor with free range of the room, and Barnaby is closed in the top two floors.

But really to give Barnaby his free time, I would move Zigs and Berry into the two story section of the cage, and Barnaby to the bottom. That way Barnaby and Ziggy can't get to each other through the cage bars, and Berry and Ziggy don't get stuck getting closed in the first floor which is really not big enough for them with the door closed. Also I noticed that my bunnies seem to always want to go back to the cage to use the litter box, so who ever has free range would have access to the bottom floor and litter box.

So basically what my crazy long post is getting at is that, I want to know if it would be okay if I let Berry and Ziggy have free range for 24 hours, then switch everyone up and they would be caged for 24 hours, and Barnaby would have a day of free range. I don't really like the idea of keeping them cooped up for a day at a time, but the cage is large, and then that way I don't have to switch cages as often. If it's better to give them each half a day or so everyday, then I can work that out, it just means juggling them around more often which isn't very fun for me, considering that all 3 of them hate being picked up.

Or if anyone else has any advice for other ways I could work this out. They have their own room, the cage, and an Xpen I could use. But I want to be careful to make sure that Ziggy and Barnaby can't fight through the cage or Xpen bars, because they already tried to once.

It really depends on the buns i would think they`d be better off having half the day out and half in but that is probably no good for your arrangements re work? George would be a very cross bunny if i let him have run of the room one day and not the other.:tears2: because he would rattle the epen then the day he was let out he`d think he made it happen ,next day he`d spend whole day fighting to get out on the day out he`d think he suceeded? if that makes sence

I thought of that - that switching cages will hopefully also help me bond them all again! :)

I don't think any of my bunnies would complain about that situation. The two story cage they'd be kept in is pretty big. They have room that they can still play in it a bit, and I keep toys and chews and lots of hay in there for them, so they generally seem to be able to keep themselves content. Berry & Ziggy are usually pretty lazy anyways, and Barnaby is small, only 2 lbs, so the 2 story section of the cage is big enough that he has plenty of space to move around and play if he wants too.

I really wish my Dad would drive to our apartment and bring me the huge box of NIC's I have stored at his house. I was thinking I could use them to make stairs from the 2nd story cage, and use the Xpen to block off the first floor so the boys can't fight through the bars. Then all I'd have to do is open the door for them. But my Dad lives 4 hours away and I don't think he wants to visit anytime too soon.

But this would only be a tempory arrangment anyways. I'm really hoping I can get them all bonded again so that the three of them can all go back to having the cage doors open 24/7.

Latest posts

Back