Trying to bond Buddy and Angel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
Hello,

What should I expect while bonding a fixed male and female? I thought that Buddy might like a friend so I introduced him to Angel who is also fixed. I thought this might be a good idea since they are both dwarfs/netherland dwarfs. He is four years old and she is a year and a half. When introduced they touched noses, groomed each other (well more Buddy then Angel) and ran around a lot. I think this might have been chasing? Buddy chased Angel but in a playful way. He was doing binkies while doing it. Then they both sat down for a bit on seperate areas and nothing much more happened. No fighting, nipping, biting nothing. So is this agood sign or not that nothing much happened?

Angel ran away each time Buddy sniffed her butt. She didn't hideor anything like that.

Shannon

Hey Shannon, that sure sounds like it went well. The fact that they groomed each other is a very positive sign
ani070.gif

Gosh I'm a real whimp when it comes to bonding, that's why I have 2 singles and2 bonded pairs.

Maybe you can come visit me and help me bond mine. LOL

Susan:p
bunny_hopping_lg_clr.gif

Ignoring each other on a first date is A-OK. Mild interest or disinterest is fine, and grooming is awesome. They're scoping each other out...

Cheer to the intended twosome and future dates!

And what about the chasing? Playful chasing.

Hey has anyone ever heard of putting a tiny bit of peanut butter on the two rabbit's heads that you are trying to bond, if it is not going well? Then they are more likely to groom eachother because they will love the peanut butter! I don't know if it will work, I just read it somewhere and I can't remember where. It guess it would be like an induced grooming and kind of fake! so I don't know if it would count in the rabbit world.

Shannon

Here is some pictures of the bonding process. Not much licking/grooming but tons of head butting to try to get the other rabbit to lick the other rabbit! LOL! They are two stubborn rabbits. They won't really groom each other. Just a few licks here and there. I will post the pics and you tell me what you think. Are they bonded? should I be worried about the lack of grooming? There has been no fights at all. No scratching, lunging. Just nose to nose action. And Angel actually let Buddy sniff her butt for a long length of time. She usually runs away. I don't know if the long length of time is a good sign or not? CLUELESS! Hmmm I can't seem to post the pictures at work. Must be a security thing. I will have to post them when I get home. Sorry about that.

They also walk all over each other and they don't seem to mind at all. What is up with that?
The last picture shows Buddy Holly walking all over Angel and a bit of grooming.

Look forward to the pics. Saw another forum where a bonding Q was raised about the goodie treat on forehead. I tend to hold back on treats to lick off each other, and let the romantic interludes progress withOUT mashed banana in the fur. One group suggested a dab of vanilla to the forehead. There's also the case of one rabbit who does ALL the grooming, lots of grooming, and his dominant partner requests it 24/7. Some marriages humm along happily that way. No fights or impatient nips up 'til now - and general acceptance - is all a good thing.

Well that was the second bonding session. Now I leave them in the kitchen together alone, while hubby is in the next room. They sleep in seperate cages but I wonder if I can put them tother now? Angel hoped in Buddy's cage last night and Buddy went in but did nothing agressive. Just sat in his bed that is it.

Shannon

Latest posts

Back