Trying to bond 4 bunns...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runestonez

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Day1

Today was the first day our bunns have been face to face since the 'ear incident'. We built 2 NIC fences and zipped them together so there is an inch and a half space in between. The bunns can touch noses if they really press up against it...but that's all. We made it so that our french doors slide into the ends and it holds tight and steady against even the most determined bunny assault!;)

Our 2 girls are thrilled to have another bunn in the house and responded with happy binkies and bunny 500 laps. Now what we need to do is get Solembum to understand that a new boy is a good idea! Everyone is spayed/neutered now. We have 2 female Lionheads and2 male mini lops. The 2 girls and the 1 lop have been bonded since March roughly. Anyone who read my other posts knows we had an unfortunate incident between the two boys where Dandelion got a nice bite taken out of his ear. So until that is healed...they can sit and stare thru the fence at each other. Even then I am tempted to make little bunny helmets that I can tuck their ears into!;)

When Solembum first came into the livingroom today he had a spaz attack on the fence. He started biting and digging at it. Sort of like the T-Rex in Jurassic park! It was a free for all bunny freak out! Solembum freaked out on the fence...Tony (my husband) came over to intercede and got charged at for his trouble! So Solembum got a squirt from the water bottle. Then to make matters better he bit Skittles, who in turn bit Peppy, who then hunted down her favorite four legged punching bag(our cat Mr. Futz) and had a brawl with him! So all in all..not one of our better beginnings!:?

After a 2 hour timeout in their room(while mommy cleaned up fur and checked for ouchies--none found!)we brought all the bunns back out--again! This time thingswent much better. Solembum is still chewing at the fence trying to dig his way in, but he has been sniffing and touching noses with Dandelion without trying to lunge or bite. OK...so far so good! No more free for alls! Dandelion thru the whole thing has been very blase. He got tired of watching Solembum,chew the fence and wandered over to grab a snack! So he was sitting in front of the fence eating his greens and watching the show! ;)

Now to see how day 2 goes tomorrow!!:shock: We aren't going to even think about having the bunns face to face until Dandelion is 100% better and healed(and his hormones have calmed down)...so it should be well over a month before we go there!

Solembum is the white lop in the background behind the NIC fence and Dandelion is in the foreground hanging out in his X-pen!

My two boy buns aren't too friendly either, and I've been wondering how I can seperate them when they run around, as I've bought a whack of panels and don't want the buns biting eachother through the bars when they live in the cages and are out running. I think that's a great set-up you have! And I think I'm going to copy it, and make a movable fence that I can put around whichever bun's cage that isn't running around.

Thanks for the idea!

Latest posts

Back