Trixie's REALLY Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was just wondering if you've had any experience with your bunnies (orany knowledge of bunnies in general) shedding more when they were onone food, compared to another.

I read something from Buck Jones regarding shedding, saying that hisbuns shed more with one food than another, and I'm wondering if perhapsthe fact that Trixie eating a different food than the other two girls,might be lending itself to her HUGE amount of shedding.

I just ask mostly because she and Flower have the same kind of fur, butI get GOBS of fur from Trixie when I pet her, MUCH more than I get fromFlower.

I would have the thought that it might be the change in climate, exceptthat Denise mentioned before she came over that she was shedding quitea bit. My other two girls just don't shed thismuch. Thankfully, she lets me use the Zoom Groom on her, andI get a lot of the shedded fur that way...but is there anything I canFEED her that'll lower the RATE at which she's shedding? Herwhole 3rd floor has a light layer of fur on it from all this!:shock:

So...give me your shedding suggestions and any ways you can think of tolower the amount she's shedding or anything I can give her that'll helpthings continue moving along and not get backed up in her digestion (inthe case of ingested fur).

Thanks, guys!

Rosie*

My guess is that she's started shedding heavilybecause of the stress of traveling and her new home. It'sreally common for rabbits to start shedding when they're stressed,Oberon did it too. Although that was a good thing, becausethe new coat grew in with him eating a much healthier diet so he is nowa lot softer.

Anyway, just give it time. Besides, I thought she was onOxbow? Usually low protein pellets like that are the best forfur condition and reducing shedding.

A lot of mine are in a molt right now and shedding pretty heavily....I just hope they are back to normal by May!

I really wouldn't be surprised if some of it is time of year....and I'mguessing you get more sunlight than Denise does at this time of year..

Peg

I was going to pick up a flea comb and softbristle brush tomorrow, and start grooming her (note: taking out theshedded hair) like every other day. Would that be too often?

I always find it mildly amusing when I brush mybuns, I don't get much fur but when I'm holding them normally andpetting them, they start blowing coat all over me....hehe

Wallace

Pebbles is going through a molt rightnow. I stick mainlywith my Zoom Groom and avacuumcleaner. For finer hair,I pluckby handor usethe ShedEnder (a fine comb),and would continue until allthe loose hair is gone.

Give lower proteincontent inpellets, or give them less pellets untilthe molt is reduced. Iwould increase the fiber (hayand pumpkin), andPebbles always gets her papaya, molt ornot. I would also keepher cage as clean aspossible to prevent theingestion of hair.

Rainbows! :)

I'm actually about to buy her some papayatablets (Oxbow) here soon, per Denise's advice...I'm told that shouldhelp keep things moving along.

Between that and the grooming with the fine-toothed comb (basically aplastic-toothed flea comb) and a soft bristle brush afterward...itshould help. :)

Latest posts

Back