Trimming Rabbits Nails! Help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit_Angel

Reaction score
How do I clip my bunnies nails?! She keeps squirming and scratching me it's impossible to trim them! Please help me! How can I calm her down?! :cry1:

Have you tried a bunny burrito? Wrapping them in a towel can help them feel secure. Also, covering their eyes calms them as well. It kinda just takes practice and also not "letting them" win the battle. If they struggle and you let them go...it kinda just teaches them that struggling gets them what they want......free! Ha.

Have you tried a bunny burrito? Wrapping them in a towel can help them feel secure. Also, covering their eyes calms them as well. It kinda just takes practice and also not "letting them" win the battle. If they struggle and you let them go...it kinda just teaches them that struggling gets them what they want......free! Ha.
hahaha aww bunny burrito! Alright, i'll for sure try that! :) yep, i've always just given up, so that's exactly what's she's doing! Haha this time she'll surrender! Thanks for your help! :biggrin2:

I recommend reading through this thread: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/nail-clipping-10519/ about nail clipping and visiting this site: http://www.mybunnies.com/trance.htm about how to trance a bunny :)

I've never bothered with the bunny burrito... I just sit cross-legged on the floor, scoop a bunny into my lap, feed her a craisin, flip her over and start clipping. it's important to be calm and confident, as they can sense when you're not. if there's a lot of fussing, I give another craisin halfway through and I always give another at the end when I flip them upright again.

try not to take too much time searching for the quick and lining the clippers up perfectly - the faster you go, the easier it is to keep the bunny under control so it's better to leave a nail too long and go back and shave a little more off than to sit there fussing with the clippers (and speaking of clippers, a cheap little pair of bird or cat nail clippers works best).

if you're having trouble seeing the quick because your bunny's nails are dark, you can have someone hold a flashlight up behind the nails.

if you're having trouble seeing what you're doing because of all the fur in the way, do NOT trim the fur - they need it to protect their feet because they don't have pads like cats and dogs do. instead, dip the bunny's paw in lukewarm water or use a little spray bottle to spritz some water on and dampen the fur so that it'll lie down for you and give you a better view of the nails.

I recommend reading through this thread: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/nail-clipping-10519/ about nail clipping and visiting this site: http://www.mybunnies.com/trance.htm about how to trance a bunny :)

I've never bothered with the bunny burrito... I just sit cross-legged on the floor, scoop a bunny into my lap, feed her a craisin, flip her over and start clipping. it's important to be calm and confident, as they can sense when you're not. if there's a lot of fussing, I give another craisin halfway through and I always give another at the end when I flip them upright again.

try not to take too much time searching for the quick and lining the clippers up perfectly - the faster you go, the easier it is to keep the bunny under control so it's better to leave a nail too long and go back and shave a little more off than to sit there fussing with the clippers (and speaking of clippers, a cheap little pair of bird or cat nail clippers works best).

if you're having trouble seeing the quick because your bunny's nails are dark, you can have someone hold a flashlight up behind the nails.

if you're having trouble seeing what you're doing because of all the fur in the way, do NOT trim the fur - they need it to protect their feet because they don't have pads like cats and dogs do. instead, dip the bunny's paw in lukewarm water or use a little spray bottle to spritz some water on and dampen the fur so that it'll lie down for you and give you a better view of the nails.
Whoa, that's so cool!! Haha i'll probably be in shock if i was able to put her in a trance...but at least trimming would be a breeze :p

Cassie is a squirmer who will kick, and she hates being lifted or held at all. I try to lift, reward, pet for a while, then flip her over for nail trimming. After the first two feet she's so upset she's actually kicked/thumped me in the chest before. Hurts, but I don't let her get away and I spend the next however long once I'm done calming her down and offering treats until she's happy again!

I might also suggest wearing a sweater while nail trimming. It does a pretty good job of keeping scratches and such at bay.

nails should be done every four - 6 weeks. depends on breed.

If you do it regularly it's not a big issue as you only need to snip a bit off the end.

Latest posts

Back