Trimming nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skits

Reaction score
I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this. :confused2:

I just picked up my first rabbit today and I once I got home, noticed he had pretty long nails. I've never had to cut a rabbits nails before and to make it harder, his nails are really dark so it's hard for me to see the veins. He also has a few that slant to the side, I'm guessing his previous owner let them grow out before cutting them. Just wanted to know if anyone has any tips or suggestions? We might be bringing him to my dogs groomers tomorrow and get them trimmed down professionally for his first time though but if I can do it at my home, I would rather spare the stress of him going for another car ride as he didn't appreciate the one while coming home. :D

My suggestion would be to go to the groomers and watch what they do, ask for advice and from then on do them yourself. Acacia only has 1 or 2 dark nails but I estimate from all her other ones where the quick might be. I bought up a pair of cat's nail clippers which work wonders, generally I only clip nails every 2 months or so bc carpet is her flooring (she has a mat in her closet and then free roam in our carpet room) and when she runs I guess they keep trim. I don't have to cut them often. Anyway, good luck!!

2 Good methods for holding a bunny still is the bunny burrito (wrapping them in a blanket so they cannot move) and double team (have someone else hold the bunny while you clip). If he is not used to having his nails done, the groomer may suggest one of these methods to get it done right. I personally do not like the idea of flipping them over in a trance bc it usually stresses them out more.

:yeahthat:, or if you can get some help, we hold them upright so the feet are easy to get to and the bunny isn't stressed--one person holding and one cutting. I had the vet show me how to clip--27 bunnies was too expensive to have someone do it.

I had the same problem the other day:p hence my post if you look down a little bit. Take all that advice, my bun was very good AFTER i held her down on a pillow for a bit, i cuddled her, THEN flipped her (supporting her hiney of course), she resisted, then i cuddled her flipped, and she sort of dazed off, and i got the back done :) wasnt to bad, just have the proper nail clippers and its easy.

If you get a thin cotton towel, you can stick the claws through that (you'll be able to see them better too).

If the claws are dark, its a 2 man operation at my house.
I inspect each claws with a flashlight, then make my cut.

Sometimes when my bunny can't stand to sit still long enough for a trimming I'll only do a foot at a time. Then try again in a few hours, or the next day. She hates it, but MOST of the time tolerates it pretty well.

I always try and play with her feet on a regular basis, or put her in the position like I would trim her nails for a few seconds...but don't. That way she's not so shocked when I actually do trim her nails because she's a little bit more used to being in an awkward position, and me touching her toes. I find that makes it easier when the time comes to trim.

Kim

Thanks for the tips :)

Yesterday I noticed he had one of his nails actually curve sideways and was underneath his foot so we called the groomers and she couldn't take him in until wednesday so I picked him up with one hand and tested it out and it turns out he's the easiest thing in the world to trim nails to. :D

It was impossible to see the veins even with all the light I had on them so I just estimated, and they aren't done amazingly but for my first time it's not a bad job haha. He even did a little dance when I put him back in his cage! :biggrin:

I seen in a video once when you are trimming nails and can't see the quick, first you squeeze the clippers in the place you are going to make the cut a little and if there is no reaction squeeze a little more and still no reaction then make the cut. But if they do jerk away go a little closer to the tip of the nail and do the squeeze squeeze clip unless you get a reaction again.

I haven't used this myself yet, but will be on my mini rex she is all black w/ black nails.

Latest posts

Back