Trimming my bunnies nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snandy

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 4 month old female holland lop who needs her nails trimmed pretty badly. With all that has been going on in this world I have not been able to take her to a groomer or vet as I have never trimmed her nails before. I know it must be done but the problem I am running into is that even though she enjoys getting pet and loved on, she absolutely hates being held/picked up. I'm not sure what to do to try and keep her still when I trim her nails and I'm worried that if she moves around too much I'll end up hurting her. Any advice on how to hold a bunny who doesn't like being held still when trimming nails??

You can ask somebody to hold her while you do it or you can wrap her into a towel but I personally think that if you force her it won't help you to build trust, if you work on bonding with your rabbit and build trust she will trust you and won't be scared and will let you do it. All my rabbits like grooming and trimming nails, even one girl who didn't like to be picked up likes grooming. I did her nails just yesterday and she wanted to stay on my lap for more :))

So if you have time you just start from grooming and let her stay on your lap for longer time, brushing/massaging her, talking to her, do it regularly, and she will feel safe with you and will let you do more. It's just you need to be patient. Some people also use treats but I never do, only grooming and conversation and it works with every rabbit, even Smokey was so defensive when I got her 15 months ago, she was biting and kicking she's very big and strong I've so many scars from her and now she's very relaxed and stays on my lap for ages. She purrs and flops and doesn't want to leave.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back