tricks for getting a new doe to lift?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple Front Rabbitry

Reaction score
Hi I have a senior holland lop doe who apparently has been bred before and lefted on her own, but I've been trying for a weekto get her bred and she will not lift, I tried table breeding her, and I've left her in with the buck for a couple of hours. I have her in with the buck right now and I think im going to leave her in with him for the day. Does anyone have any other sugestions? Thanks

Hmm well you can try to sneak your hand underneath her and gently tap. Another method is hold her with one hand on top and using a flat palm under her belly to gently push on her legs so she can't curl in. Keep in mind that if this doe is older she may have lost all desire to breed and it may be due to infertility.

You could also try a little bit of apple cider vinegar in the water.

I agree; you can lift her yourself. Since I don't really care about touching the boys junk while they're going at it, I do it the "dirtier" way. Let him get going, then slide your hand between them, at the bottom, grab the tail and pull up. (A hand below her belly, to LIGHTLY push up in combination with the tail works the best, in my experience.)

I've had cases where after they're "forced" bred, minutes later they'll lift on there own. I've also had some that just sit there and growl after being bred once or twice. I generally don't force breed them if they growl at all. Just feels wrong.

Hope you have better luck!

Thanks for all the help guys :) I left her in with the buck for the day yesterday, and as I walked into the barn to check on them she was lifting, so im quite sure she's bred now. Thank you!

I know she hadnt had a litter before, but you said you had bred her before and that she lifted, but that she just didnt take.
I dont think the weather has anything to do with it, all the other does lifted fine.
but yes I hope she took too, cause she is a nice little doe :)

Latest posts

Back