Traveling with your rabbit(s)??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends. With my previous rabbit, she traveled well, and did poorly when we were gone (and left her with a sitter). She traveled a lot, and we became quite good at packing and making rabbit travel arrangements.

Our current rabbits seem to prefer being home, and like everybody. We plan to leave them behind for most trips. We might take them along during extended trips in the future.

Most rabbits don't like to travel, and aren't comfortable in new surroundings.

Funny, I've been wondering the same thing about my bunny. I wonder...would it help uncomfortableness if you took some things that your bun is used to having around (such as litterbox, or some such)? Another thing...what if you have an incredibly social rabbit that loves to meet new people and is basically fearless?

I would NOT recommend that. Rabbits are very easily stressed out by changes in environment.

Some bunies travel very well....other get stressed easily from it. IMO...the buns should stay home.

I've even been known to opt to stay at home to take care of the buns while the rest of the family goes away on vacation.

My buns get stressed just from being put in a carrier and traveling 10 minutes to the vet.

~Jim

Yeah, but I think it has to be kept in mind that every bun is unique.

For instance, the night we brought Bunny home, we picked her up and had to take her to the pet store with us, etc. before bringing her home. She was out with us for over two hours (including driving time). Now, take into account the fact that she had just left home and the company of her litter and parents for the first time. We brought her home and let her roam around our room, and within fifteen minutes was doing binkies, running around playing, and just absolutely happy! She was eating from the moment we gave her some hay, too.

Also, when we took her downstairs to visit with and be around the cats for the first time, she just came right out of her carrier, did her business in her litterbox, and within twenty minutes was going right up to the cats and sniffing noses and introducing herself!

The thing I take into account when I wonder if she'd like to travel with me every now and then (not all the time, but maybe a couple/few times a week) is the fact that she doesn't have any problem with new environments, and absolutely CRAVES time with me. The second she sees me, she's asking to be let out, and the first thing she does is hop into my lap and ask for me to hold her...especially if I've been gone all day.

Just a thought...every bun is unique. :D

maherwoman wrote:

JimD wrote:
Some bunies travel very well....other get stressed easily from it. IMO...the buns should stay home.

~Jim
Hi maherwoman.

I'll be the first to say that no two bunnies are alike and you'll find evidence of that in many of my posts. And, as you can see, I stated that some bunnies travel very well.

In my case I would just rather not take the chance. But that just in my case.

You're very lucky to have a bunnie that can adjust so easily. I have one bunnie that would go into GI statis if you even mentioned "car ride".

I'm assuming that cute bunny in your avatar is Bunny......watch out for the bunnynappers on the forum!!;)

~Jim

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not mad, or anything...just wanted to post something saying the other side of things, too. It's funny, I READ about bunnies being so frightened by things (noises, things changing, etc.), but it's hard to believe because my Bunny is so dang resilient and fearless. She's only eight weeks old, and she doesn't seem to have a fear in the world! It's nice, too, because she's my first bun, and by the time I'd brought her home, I was convinced by the postings about being careful about scaring your bun that she would be scared of so many things, but she just came right on out, introduced herself to everyone, and ran around and played. It was adorable...and such a surprise! :D

I feel for those buns that are so scared...:( But it's nice that they have people that respect that so much, and try to make their lives as less stressful as possible. :D

JimD wrote:
maherwoman wrote:

JimD wrote:

~Jim
Hi maherwoman.

I'll be the first to say that no two bunnies are alike and you'll find evidence of that in many of my posts. And, as you can see, I stated that some bunnies travel very well.

In my case I would just rather not take the chance. But that just in my case.

You're very lucky to have a bunnie that can adjust so easily. I have one bunnie that would go into GI statis if you even mentioned "car ride".

I'm assuming that cute bunny in your avatar is Bunny......watch out for the bunnynappers on the forum!!;)

~Jim

In my experience, I have not yet met a rabbit that was comfortable traveling. :)

The last rabbit we got, Tootsie, it probably the most laid-back of my buns. She's just about a year old. Nothing seems to scare her...even the vacum doesn't seem to phase her one bit. I have a feeling that she came from an environment that had a lot of activity going on. We rescued her from the shelter and they told us that she had belonged to a college student. Must have been all those partays ;)

~Jim

Too funny...yeah, she's probably used to whoopin and hollerin!! Wahoo!! Lol....

That's what I think about my Bunny, too, because she lived in a household with three kids (one was high school age, one middle school age, and the youngest in elementary). The youngest loved to hold those rabbits constantly, and the middle child was the rabbit expert who took care of them. The girls go to the same school as my daughter, and that's, in fact, where I met Bunny for the first time. They'd brought them to the school to sell them (and have proceeds go to fixing the litter's mama), and there Bunny was, all these kids around her being all loud, and she just hopped up to each one of them and introduced herself. It was adorable...and the main reason I fell in love with her.

When I went to their house to pick her up, I found out that they didn't just have bunnies living outside...they also had a German Shephard (which was barking loudly the whole time), chickens, a snake, and I think a couple of cats (which is possibly why she is so fearless around our two cats). They had a regular domestic zoo!

She's just used to company, being around other animals, and being in a loud environment. You should have seen how happy and playful she was around all those young, screaming kids...lol!!

I think all this is the main reason she's so comfortable and unafraid. She just seems to have so much fun everywhere she goes! :D

JimD wrote:
The last rabbit we got, Tootsie, it probably the most laid-back of my buns. She's just about a year old. Nothing seems to scare her...even the vacum doesn't seem to phase her one bit. I have a feeling that she came from an environment that had a lot of activity going on. We rescued her from the shelter and they told us that she had belonged to a college student. Must have been all those partays ;)

~Jim

Bunnynappers??

Well, it's not a picture of my Bunny, but it looks just like her. I found it on the internet, and thought since it so closely resembled my bun, I would at least put THAT as my avatar. Lol...Bunny doesn't have any brown in her like the one in my avatar does...she's a very pretty gray that has white mixed in. :D

Thank you, I think she's cute, too...:D

JimD wrote:

~Jim

I don't take Velma everywhere with me but she has made two trips. One was to visit my boyfriend's parents' house and the second was to visit my parents' house. She did very well during each of the trips. The best thing was that I had her cage with me so when we got to our destination I could put her in a place of familiarity. I gave her the option to be free in a given room in each house. At first she didn't want anything to do with it but after awhile she enjoyed coming out of her cage and enjoying the carpet. We only have hardwood floors so being on a surface where she can get good traction is a treat for her.

I don't think Sparky and Scooter particularly like to travel, however they do well with it. The three of us drove all the way from California to Florida together.

Back