Traveling long distances with a bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Well next time you need a new pen, keep an eye out on ebay! It was from one of those companies that gets the closeouts or items with slight damage or open packaging and they sell them for really cheap. There's just damage to the box, which I don't care about at all!

We had a 20 hour drive one-way (40 in total, though there was a 5 day break between arrival and departure). The first time it was broken into three days, the return trip was two very long days. We would stop every 3 hours for the bathroom/stretching/food and would pat the buns and offer them water. They had hay available if they wanted it throughout the trip.

We didn't have them in a carrier though; their entire cage was in the back seat, actually. I think that helped, and so did having a friend nearby! All-in-all they were fine--a little bitty bit carsick (so they were lethargic but recovered within an hour of arrival) but that's it.

When traveling long distances, smaller is better. A bigger enclosures allows more room for them to run around and it also allows more risk for injury.
I recommend packing hay across the entire bottom, it helps absorb the "bounciness" of the drive. Food and water is always good but try to get clip on crocks or try to tie down the crocks some how so they arent sliding all over the carrier.

I'll use the advice of packing down hay to help him not be so bouncy. I'm going to be getting deep clip-on crocks for water and food throughout the trip as well.

When I go to shows or when I'm traveling out of state to pick up new rabbits/show them this is the carrier I usually use.

3compt_3lid.jpg

Each individual compartment is 8" x 16" x 9". For my holland lops and lionheads they can hop and move around but not to the point where they can binky or run(that would be too big and dangerous)

--Also this is a carrier that I use as it allows me to transport 3 rabbits, I think the small carrier you had would work good too--

EDIT: I also agree with blue eyes that something should be put on the bottom of the carrier for traction (no plastic)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was already planning on putting a towel on the bottom, as I always do, and I'm also going to line the sides with hay.
This is how I'll be transporting him (image is from that website you linked, Blue Eyes):
Img_1201.jpg

I would be careful keeping him at your feet like that, especially if you have the heater on. It could get pretty hot for a bunny down there. There can be more vibrations on the floor as well.

I'm already planning on keeping the floor heat off. The only alternative I'd have is putting the carrier in the big open back portion of the van, where it would slide all over the place. I'm going to put a pillow underneath the carrier to help keep the vibrations to a minimum. I also like to have him by my feet so I can check on him throughout the ride and let him sniff my fingers through the door so he knows I'm still there.

Back