Traveling in the cold

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kohler51

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This might seem silly, but... I need to take my rabbit to get his nails trimmed since I'm not quite skilled enough to do it myself! However, I don't have a car and it's gotten quite cold here (sometimes -20C during the day). It's only about a 5-10 min walk outside to the subway, and then another 5 min walk from the subway to the groomer. Will he be okay in his carrier for that amount of time in such cold weather? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable for the trip? He really doesn't like travel and isn't keen on being handled either, so I want to make this as painless for him as possible!

Thanks for all the input in advance!

Put lots of hay in the carrier along with a thick blanket. Have something to cover the carrier to keep the wind and snow out and it also helps with the cold. Keep him covered until you get to the groomer so the heat stays in the carrier. If you need to check on him, try to do in inside.
Try to pick a day that is a bit warmer. I know here it can be -30 one day and -5 a few days later. I am not sure what your groomers policy is, but if you can just drop in wait for a nicer day.
When waiting for the subway, be inside if possible. Even with limited heating, it would still be warmer and more protected than outside. If there is not an inside area, then the glass shelters should be used if avaliable.

lots of blankets and hay. Also bring an extra blanket and a paper/plastic bag. My bunny doesn't enjoy being in the carrier so she pee's on the blanket sometimes so I want her to have a clean one for the trip back home. I try to get her to use the litter box before we leave.

Latest posts

Back