Traumatized bunny HELP!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athena

Reaction score
When we were on vacation we had someone we trust petsitting our rabbit, while we were gone a fire started in our town and our neighborhood was evacuated so the petsitter had to get our rabbit out. They tryed to catch her with blankets which is causing her to be terrified of blankets and big jackets, when they caught her and put her in her pet carrier they got in 2 car accident causing her to freak out whenever she is in the car. When she got to the petsitters house she was put in a room away from the other pets but could still smell them, so now shes scared of other pets and whenever my friends come over smelling like them she attacks them.

Glad she is OK. Sounds like you will need to slowly and patiently desensitize her to the blankets. Try giving her treats and play time near blankets and over a period of several days (weeks if needed), move closer and closer to the scary items. I would start with that. If the traumas were recent, she may need time at home to settle down and realize she is safe again. I would give her time to herself for awhile. Does she have a bunny friend living with her? That can help as they can calm each other down.

Glad she is OK. Sounds like you will need to slowly and patiently desensitize her to the blankets. Try giving her treats and play time near blankets and over a period of several days (weeks if needed), move closer and closer to the scary items. I would start with that. If the traumas were recent, she may need time at home to settle down and realize she is safe again. I would give her time to herself for awhile. Does she have a bunny friend living with her? That can help as they can calm each other down.
We just got her a friend about a week ago it's helped a little with the other animal smell we are still bonding them so they aren't together yet.

Alplily's advice is dead-on. In light of the 'new friend' thing, I suggest holding off on desensitizing her (for the most part) and focus mainly on the bonding process - once your rabbits are successfully bonded, it should be easier to desensitize her by keeping them together for the process because she'll see that her friend *isn't* afraid of the things that she's come to fear. I say "for the most part" because 'fear bonding' can potentially be a useful tactic and car rides are one of the most common ways to do that. It requires one person sitting in the back seat with the rabbits to make sure nothing gets out of hand, but the shared concern over car rides can help bond two rabbits together (and in your case, provide comfort to help your original bunn get over the new fear of car rides). Also, never underestimate the soothing properties of treats (in our house, that's xxxx-infused craisins) during any stressful activity!

Alplily's advice is dead-on. In light of the 'new friend' thing, I suggest holding off on desensitizing her (for the most part) and focus mainly on the bonding process - once your rabbits are successfully bonded, it should be easier to desensitize her by keeping them together for the process because she'll see that her friend *isn't* afraid of the things that she's come to fear. I say "for the most part" because 'fear bonding' can potentially be a useful tactic and car rides are one of the most common ways to do that. It requires one person sitting in the back seat with the rabbits to make sure nothing gets out of hand, but the shared concern over car rides can help bond two rabbits together (and in your case, provide comfort to help your original bunn get over the new fear of car rides). Also, never underestimate the soothing properties of treats (in our house, that's xxxx-infused craisins) during any stressful activity!
Thank you for all the help :)

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Latest posts

Back