trancing rabbits?????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezeta

Reaction score
Heard that you can trance rabbits so tried it bylaying my bun on her back in my arms and gently stroking the top of herheard. she let me do it for a few seconds and then grunted at me andscrabbled away and got mad at me. Was i doing it right? Alsoi heard from one website that its good to do this to trim nails or calmthem down and another it said not to do it because your rabbits playingdead as it is in fear which site is correct and does anyone else trancetheir buns?:rabbithop

The second site is right. Trancing isa fear response that rabbits are meant to use when they are attacked bypredators. They play dead, then dash away when the predatorloosens it's grip. Some rabbits do enjoy trancing with theirtrusted owners, but none of mine do. They get very upset.

It can be used when clipping nails. I do this, simply becauseit's necessary. But you have to make sure you keep a securehold on the rabbit to keep them from leaping away suddenly and possiblyhurting themselves.

Trancing is not good for calming rabbits, because it is a fearresponse. Unless they enjoy it, they are getting stressed notrelaxed. A better way to calm a scared rabbit in your arms isto cover his head, or tuck his head into your elbow. Thismakes many rabbits feel more secure. If your rabbit is scaredand on the floor but in a safe place, it's best just to leave him aloneand let him calm down.

what you could do is put a towel over him, andjust wrap it around the stomach area firmly (not too tight) and put himon his back. if you hold his towel firmly the entire time while talkingto him or stroking him with the other hand until hes "out" then you canuse that free hand to clip his nails. but make sure the towel is alwaysfirm and try not to make him move too much. that worked for my bunnyand he doesnt get angry when he comes to. he just binkies everywhereand he hated being tranced before. just make sure youre doing it safelyso that he doesnt kick and break his back.... if youre too worried, getmore than one person to help or go to a shelter or vet...

hope that helps

cheers

Yeah some will allow it but others won't. Ebony hates it, but Pebble's perfectly happy with it:)

IM000227.jpg

^ Pebble in a trance

My bunny will trance until Iloosen my grip, then POW she kicks me in the face. :boxingIhave figured out a way to get her relaxed so that I can clip thosenails. I give her head kisses and slowly do the front paws. Then sheruns around my feet, singing her little love song, and DBF's into me,then I can get her back feet and clip her nails, no fuss. (She hasnever been bred, so maybe she thinks that is part of the whole matingprocess!) :shhhh:Let's not tell her otherwise!

~Star~

Yeah, I just learned to trance Mufasa recently,it's nice, but I don't think he likes it. Mufasa really hatesto be picked up in general. I am trying to teach him thatit's ok and that I am not picking him up to hurt him...but rather tohelp him and to pet him. My neighor's rabbit, Scruffs, likesto be held, and likes to be tranced, I tranced him for my neighbor soshe could clip his nails and trim the hair on his back side because hewas getting dingleberries.

I've never been able to trance mine, with theexception of my first flemish doe (I wanted to file her nails before ashow because even with clipping she usually scratched me xD).The others don't like being flipped at all, much less staying thatway. I don't understand the need to do it for nail clipping-- I clip all my rabbits' nails sitting with them in my lap and ittakes about 2 minutes.

I have tranced both of mine, sometimes they likeit other times they don't. I certainly do it to clip nails but I need asecond pair of hands to help me as they can kick out all of a suddenand you need to be prepared!

I will trance my quieter rabbits, like most ofmy Flemish are ok with it. Some of the more nervous ones, though, likerescues that have been mistreated, I will do sitting upright on mygrooming table. I find it a little more awkard that way, though.

Samantha seems to like it. Goes out like a lite. Also helps to cut her nails.

100_2558.jpg

Connor is fine about it. I hold him like that in my arms and feed him rasins one by one.

100_3337.jpg

Elvis only way to cut his nails.

100_4932.jpg

By the way we never do it alone and we are both there within inches of the rabbits.

Latest posts

Back