training a rabbit???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebunnbunne

Reaction score
i've tried to train Shugar to come but i havent had any sucess are bunnies even trainable??

My bunnies come when I call, it's great.

They are trainable - have you seen the rabbit jumping videos? Those bunnies are way more trained than mine!

It took a lot of treats and being consistent. Everytime Iwanted to give the bunnies atreat, I made sureI hadto call them over to me and wait until they came to give it tothem. It didn't happen quickly, but now they figure everytime I call them, they are getting treats - so they show up if I callthem long enough.

How old is shugar? If she is tooyoung, then you don't want to give her treats yet - I think only onceyou introduce veggies (usually about 6 months) should you introducesome treats.

I give my bunnies papaya tablets - which some people think will aid indigestion. One a day. Sometimes I give them a tinypiece of apple or banana or a little bit of rolled oats. Nota lot though - because it's a treat.

The rule for treats isabout 1 tablespoon size piece for 3pounds of body weight (I usually give less)... you really should notgive a lot of treats though - not great for their weight and coulddisrupt their normal digestion if they get too much.

I don't always reward them with treats either - my bunnies love noserubs and head rubs, so if they come over, I will give them some goodhead rubs for about2 minutes.

________
Nadia

I've also trained my buns to come when I call, Ionly use healthy treats to reward themsuch as herbs, smallpieces of veggies, fruit or greens or these healthy carrot pellettreats. I started by calling their name, then showing them the food,start off quite close to them to begin with then once they start comingto you move further away. Once theystart coming towards youall the time when you callyou can start rewarding them bypetting them or giving them a head scratch instead of treats. My bunsare brilliant at it now, especially Ruby. I can stand far away fromher, shout "Ruby" and she will come racing over doing binkies!:D

I used a bell.I did not give him food only goodlove.When he heard the bell he'd come to me then I'd love on him.Thismay take longer than food.

I dont like to use food to train a animal.I dont like to get them us totaking food from my hands.This could cause some accidentalnipping.Ouch!Thats just me.Some people may dis agree.Thats them.

I think rabbits are more "trainable" than mostanimals. If they have a good relationship with you it is very easy toteach them what is right and what is wrong and that is the basis oftraining an animal.

[line]

Shawn

Yes rabbits are trainable!:DActuallyrabbits are very smart! My rabbit is clicker-trained and he stays faraway from my pool because he knows that it is water!

I sometimes use currants which are smaller raisins but remember not tofeed too many because although a fat bun is sometimes cute it is VERYunhealthy for the rabbit because they will end up not being able toclean themselves.:)

Latest posts

Back