Tragedy struck on Dec22!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie

Reaction score
My aunt who lives on the sunshine coast of BC took two of Brodie and Lints babies this spring, bothlittle females, Crosby (agouti) and Nash (grey). She also has aolder neutered malefrenchlop, Jefferson.They live in a large enclosure outside with a small doggy door that leads into their own shed. The pen is around 10'x10' and is very secure. Weused mesh wire with 1"x1" squares, under the grass and dirt is cementbricks to prevent digging out, and we didn't leave any spaces big enough for a cat to squeeze through. It is also covered on top.

This morning she went out to feed them, and to her horror discovered that a weasel had gotten in and attacked the rabbits. She first saw alot of blood and Crosby laying limp and covered with blood in the corner. She ran in and found that Crosby was still alive but very very badly injured. She has the many bites, a broken leg and is missing the top quarter of an ear. Next she found Nash, who has quite a few bitesand is missing a fair bit of fur, but she is at least up and moving.Jefferson was not outside, so fearing the worst she checked the shed.

In the shed she found Jefferson with scratches all over his face andears, a big bite on his chest and scratches and fur missing on hisback. She also found a dead weasel. It seems that Jefferson killed it.

I am happy to report at the end of this horrific tale that my aunt, who is a vet, rushed them to her clinic and examined everyone better.Jeffersons wounds were all superficial and after being cleaned up and put on antibiotics, He will be perfectly fine. Nash required a few stitches, had her other wounds flushed and disinfected and is also on antibiotics. Shewill also be okay. Crosby was close to death by the time my aunt got her to the clinic, but with immediate life saving measures, fluids and surgery, Crosby is alive and quickly regaining strength. It may take her months to recover fully but my aunt says her spirits are up and seems to still want to be her because she is fighting with all that she's got.

My aunt later learned that a neighbours ferret had gotten out and unfortunately she had to break the news to her neighbour that his ferret had not survived the ordeal. They buried the ferret in theneighbours yard on christmas day. Buckles will be missed dearly!!!

:shock::faint::thud:

What a story. I'm so glad it didn't end tragically for the bunnies. Poor little ferret. :(

I never think of ferrets as weasel-like creatures, but they are. Never thought they'd go after rabbits. Never thought the rabbits would win!!!

Any idea what exactly killed the ferret? I don't know how a rabbit can kill anything. Not to make light of the scary and tragic situation, but hey, finally one for the rabbits!:woohoo

So glad your babies are okay.

Really am sorry about the poor little ferret though.:tears2:

sas :shock2:

Wow, what in interesting story!

You know, shes probably lucky it was the neighbors pet ferret and not a wild animal like a weasel. Besides natural instincts,theferret (being a house pet) probably didnt have theexperience/desire to hunt and kill for food.

I wonder if the bunny kicked the ferret or something of that nature?

Im glad the bunnies came out on top in this one, but its sad that someone's pet had to die..Hopefully the neighbors will be better about securing their animals after this incident.

Heres hoping that Crosby pulls through :pray:

Goodness, what an awful shock for your aunt. I'm amazed that Jefferson managed to kill the ferret. I am pleased that the buns made it - hopefully Crosby will make a full recovery.

I am sorry the ferret was killed, but i guess nature just took it's course :(. Could have been a lot worse, though.

Jan

On MDC, one member's house bun killed a mouse :shock: I can definitely see how that would happen, especially if you've ever witnessed a rabbit scratching, biting, and tearing at their toys.

What a freak occurance, though. Glad to hear all the bunnies survived :bunnyheart

R.I.P. Buckles :rainbow:

Oh wow. I wonder if it was just a freak accident that the rabbit killed the ferret, or if the rabbit intentionally tried to kill the ferret? That's amazing.

I hope all the rabbits make a full recovery. Poor neighbours for their ferret. :(.

Oh wow...what a shock! I'm so glad to hear that everyone pulled through, though I was sad to hear about your neighbor's baby dying in the process. I guess buns will do what it takes to save their friends, huh? Wow...

My love to all three...:inlove: They're hall-of-famers in my book! :)

Go Jefferson! Sounds like your aunt has some badass bunnies! :boxingIt is too bad about the ferret, but he was up to no good, though. :nonoYour aunts bunnies came off pretty messed up too.He just picked a fight with the wrong rabbits. I know that bunnies are strong, I have been kicked while nail cutting and Tinkle Bunny has given me some pretty good scratches. I don't doubt that a rabbit could kill a ferret or a cat for that matter. I hope everyone makes a full recovery.:pray:

~Star~

I'm so sorry to hear about that.:( I'm so happy that the buns were able to be saved due to your aunt's quick thinking. I can't even imagine how horrified I'd be to see a sight like that. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that all ended well (except for the ferret...).

Erin

Wow, tough bunnies! :shock:
I'm glad they all made it through, and I'm sorry about the ferret, too; they're very playful animals towards humans, but not rabbits...
(Actually, ferrets were domesticated hundreds of years ago for the purpose of going down rabbit holes for hunters, but I guess it's been so long since then that they can't manage anymore? Or maybe it's that wild bunnies are so much smaller....I dunno.)
Anyway, glad all the bunnies are okay and I'll be praying for the little ferret to go to ferret-heaven....even if he DID attack somebunnies :?

My dad , who is 87 yrs old remebers when he was a child that someone he knew had a ferret ..they would send it down a rabbit hole and all the rabbits would come out the other side and then you know what they did with their gun....:(

I actually have three ferrets, my older two are 6yrs old and my youngest is 2yrs. I have seen mine catch mice many times and it ain't pretty. They shred them. So I don't think instincts was the problem for the ferret. I think it was a combo of the size of Jefferson who is around 14lbs and the fact that the ferret, was really old, had cataracts and probably teeth missing. The ferret hadbites on its head and neck and rips and missing fur from what looks like kicks. Jeffy probably grab his head and neck in his mouth and just started kicking.

I was very upset when I heard about it. Those were my babies, they lived with me for almost four months. I had to suppliment feedNash because her mom was having a hard time feeding all 11 of them, and Nash was one of the smaller ones. I bottle fed her once a day for the first three weeks.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and positive thoughts you sent our way. I'll be sure to update everyone soon.

The pic I attached is of Crosby and Nash as babies they are the two in the back. Crosby is on the left facing forward and Nash is on the right facing forward!!!

Pipp wrote:
Inever think of ferrets as weasel-like creatures, but theyare. Never thought they'd go after rabbits.
In the old days people used to keep ferrets for hunting rabbits

Oh my gosh! i was reading your story with my mouth open in shock,that would have been an awful thing to see

I said thankgod out loud,when i got to the part where you said that the bunnies are all doing ok.

cheryl

Brodie wrote:
The pic I attached is of Crosby and Nash as babies they arethe two in the back. Crosby is on the left facing forward and Nash ison the right facing forward!!!
Dare I ask the names of the other two? :biggrin:

(Hope everybunny is still doing well. :clover: I hope your aunt is on our vet list with a strong recommendation!)

sas

In the UK ferrets are traditionally used for hunting rabbits. I'm surprised one fitted through the mesh, they are good chewers though.

Despite being prey animals rabbits can put up quite a fight when they have to. I've heard of rabbits killing smaller pets and in one case a cat. Those back legs can pack quite a punch!

I'm glad the bunnies are okay :)

Tam

[sub]Update on the bunnies they are doing great .Everyone is back at home now. My aunt was out in the pen last week covering any hole bigger than what her finger fit through.Crosby will probably always have her scars showing as my aunt thinks her hair may not all grow back, But regarless she will always be loved. I am so thankfull that they are all doing so well. one of my ferrets who was a orphaned baby that I was bottle feeding at the time, grabbed one of my lizards by the head for a split second before i grabbed him.I could not believe the damage Shamus (the lizard) had to be rushed to the vet, was on antibiotics and painkillers for a month and ultimately lost his right eye. It is amasing the damage they can do with their powerful little jaws, and my ferret was only 4months old at the time.[/sub]

[sub]My aunt is not a practicing vet anymore. Her partner, who is also a vet treats wildlife and birds, but they live way up the coast in a small community on a inlet that is about an hour past Davis bay in BC. They run a parrot rescue, although non of the parrots ever actually get adopted out, they all end up living with them for good. I got two of my birds from them. My aunt just works as an artist now. [/sub]

[sub]All of my rabbits have some sort of musical names, Brodie and Lintare people in two of my favorite bands, so all of their babies got musical names. Apparently I like themes!![/sub]

[sub]There is: Stevie (nicks), Joni (Mitchell), Joplin (Janis), Debbie(harry), Crosby, Nash, Stills, Arden, Bowie, Sid and Johnny. [/sub]

[sub]The other two babies pictured are Debbie and Stills!!![/sub]

[sub][/sub]

I'm probably going to ignite some feeling here but I am not a fan of ferrets....I respect them as I do any animal but I wouldn't have a ferret as a pet ... most likely all my smaller pets would be good dinners for it.

Latest posts

Back