Toys- pine cones

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenLyddie

Reaction score
So I was recently browsing rabbit toys on an online store, and I came accross "pine cones" I have never used this type of toys with my rabbits, and it sounded like a good idea. However, I think its a bit silly to spend $1 per pine cone when I can gather them myself. But is there a problem with gathering pine cones off the ground? Should they be washed or something? Have any of you used pine cones as a treat/toy for your rabbits? Does it work?

Even in using boughs off safe trees like apple I believe that the branches have to be driedor baked some way . I have never done this. I wouldn't feed a pine cone from off the tree... oil from the pine would still be in it .

Hopefully someone who has done this will respond.

I know there are a few threads from at least a year ago asking about what to do with pine cones before giving them to your bun, but I can't find them, as the search function isn't currently working here. I know it involved baking them, but I don't know at what temperature, or for how long, etc.

Let me give you what I did find elsewhere, though:

Here it says "must be washed and dried for at least four months".

And here, it says, "Take a pinecone and wash it thoroughly to remove dirt, insects, and sap. Dry off the pinecone. Put it in the oven and bake it for one hour at 200 degrees."

Hope that helps!

Great find, Jan! That's one of the threads I was trying to find! Wherever did you find it?

maherwoman wrote:
Great find, Jan! That's one of the threads I was trying to find! Wherever did you find it?
Lol! It was thanks to you, Rosie. I searched for pine cones in the search box and it brought up a few posts. One of them was a post from March 2008, and you had linked it to the same topic :D.

Actually, I needed to find it, as we have 2 fir trees in our front garden, and there were tons of cones off them in the autumn, so thanks to you and QueenLyddie, I now know what to do :)

Jan

Latest posts

Back