Toys for bunnies!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zweistein

Reaction score
Hello everybody!!

Happy Easter and happy holidays :)

So few days ago i descided to buy Cookie a toy.
I didn't know what's best for a bunny so i asked a vet.
He didn't know well.... So after asking at the pet center where i go shopping, i bought a small funny ball with a jingle bell inside.
The ball's shape is like this:
Spiky%20Ball_orange.gif

A little less spiky than that.
The lady working there told me she had a bunny as well and she had bought it and her bunny played with it.
So i got it and Cookie looked very enthusiastic about it.
He won't play too much with it when he is alone, but if i carry it in my hand and jingle a little he will rush to try and bite it :p:biggrin2:

So (eventhough it looks like a dog's toy) my little Cookie seems to enjoy himself when we play with it.
But i'd like to buy him more toys and kee him happy playing around my room with them (if there are bunny toys for any kind of bunny amusement :p )

So now my question is this, what are the best suitable toys for bunnies?
What do you know about it and what would you suggest??

PS: at first i thought that vegetarian pets wouldnt feel the need to "play with something" cos they arent born hunters..
Like cats and dogs who like playing with toys a lot.
However i realised that there are toys for almost any kind of pet (even birds!)
So i'm sure there's something for bunnies as well :)
plus: Cookie seems to be very inteligent and shows a great interest on everything like an adventurer. I'm sure there will be something that will amaze him :D

I think plastic and rubber toys are not really ideal for bunnies because those sharp little teeth can and usually will tear it up and some bunnies will actually ingest the synthetic material. Under supervision, certainly that is fine. If you find your bun starting to destroy the plastic ball, it's best to take it away from them when you are not around. Ingesting materials that they cannot break down in their digestive tract can cause a blockage.

I don't know about other people's buns specifically but my two .... they completely ignore storebought toys! I've purchased everything from balls with bells, hay balls with bells, organic materials shaped like carrots, wooden blocks... Many stores sell wooden toys for small animals which is fine to give to a rabbit. Chew toys and stuff they can safely destroy with their teeth and paws are great! There are also large toys designed for the bunnies to push to and fro, and maybe even big enough for them to hop into (like the Jolly Ball). But at the end of the day, my bunnies love cardboard!

I give them an old shipping box with a hole cut out on each side and they just love it. They hide in it, they jump on top of the box, they bonk the box from the sides to knock it over, and over time they'll rip it up and have a real fun time destroying it as their little project.

Clean, glue-free toilet paper rolls or towel rolls stuffed with some hay are also favorites. They can safely eat the paper product, no big deal.

Clean old telephone books are a joy to tear up. Nothing like shredded paper to make a fun bun day!

Yes, bunnies seem to have a destructive streak in them. It seems like, if they can't wreck it, they get bored of it pretty quick. ;)

Some bunnies are more playful than others. Gus isn't very playful--at least he doesn't playwith many toys. His favourites seem to be an old cotton sheet to dig and chew (and sometimes get covered upby ;)), any kind of cardboard box (which usuallyjust gets chewed, but sometimes hidden in and hopped on top of), newspapers and flyers (again, much chewing and shredding), and cardboard concrete form tubes (for chewing and running through, but mostly chewing :p).

Lately I've been trying to clicker train him, and I have to say, he seems SO MUCH happier (and much less destructive... ) since I've started training him. If your bunny is super inquisitive and adventurous, maybe try doing some training with him. He'd probably respond really well.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Rabbits love toys! Mine are especially fond of ones they can toss around. My two have a wide variety of toys in their enclosure because they do play with everything I put in. I get a lot of the toys from pet stores, most are bunny specific but some are actually baby toys. Then there is always the favorite and simple 'hay stuffed in toilet paper roll' type of toys.

kirbyultra wrote:
I think plastic and rubber toys are not really ideal for bunnies because those sharp little teeth can and usually will tear it up and some bunnies will actually ingest the synthetic material. Under supervision, certainly that is fine. If you find your bun starting to destroy the plastic ball, it's best to take it away from them when you are not around. Ingesting materials that they cannot break down in their digestive tract can cause a blockage.

I put the ball away so that Cookie won't bite and ingest any of the matterial.
That was a very useful information, thnx Helen! I guess ill justplay a little with the jingle sounds to play with him. :D

At the time being toilet paper seems to make him crazy with happines and fun :biggrin2:

Yesterday Cookie managed to get into my shirt while I was laying down (tickled the hell out of me) and he enjoyed it a lot :p (managed to get out from the right sleeve... uber cute sight to see his nose coming out sniffing the way through :biggrin2: )

So I guess thatgenerally the combination of chewing out of something made of paper or something similar and harmless is a safe game for my bun..

I'll try do as Rue says and try for some training :)

An empty toilet roll filled with hay is a good one, also baby keys are good.:)

I wouldn't give any rubber toy, they can ingest it, as they're prone to do and cause major gut issues, so don't give any rubber toys.

Often the best bunny toys are things you find around the house. Cardboard boxes, phone books (with the covers removed), and toilet paper rolls are all great toys.

For purchased toys, most buns like anything made out of willow (you can get balls, tunnels, baskets, etc); grass mats are great for chewing and digging.

Some bunnies like noisy toys like balls with bells or baby teething key rings that they can throw around.

It takes some experimenting to find out what your bunny is in to, but since most things they like are so cheap it's pretty easy to try them all out.

My guys really like cat toys.

The simple plastic ball with the bell inside.

Anything that giggles. They love them some toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay I normally put a crasin in the middle for them to find to.

I get boxes and cut a hole in them then put a phone book inside. OMG they love that one. I just keep putting the paper back in. Until its all shredded and get them another one.

Any thing hay made by ox bow Jessi loves to tear those things up.

I get bird toys and take any leather off. Jessi is a chewer and they last a little longer then the bunny toys.

Plus most bird toys has apple tree branches in them my gangs favorite. I got a huge box for free this year from a apple tree orchard. I still have a few but I made toys and re did some toys that where sent to me. To make them new again.

The tubes they make Concrete cylinders out of. I am getting one for Storm and Jessi after her spay if I have any money left over. I have heard those where big hits.

They both have baby rings my neices are giving them all there this month to. I take the girls old passe and cut the rubber off and give them those to play with.

But remember with bunny they are more lily to play with the package it came in then the toy.

It really depends on your bunns too...
I bought some mini tennis balls for our kids last weekend.
For some rabbits it might be problem...but our kids like to pull at them till they get little tufts sticking up and then they whip them into the air...they haven't bothered to try to eat them yet...

Darwin actually tossed one so hard the other day he hit Daddys big screen TV...:shock: We just aren't going to tellDad that though...Darwin had the most evil look of satisfaction at the noise and reaction though....:biggrin2:

Our kids lose it over anything seagrass that they can shred...around this time of year I make toys out of fresh apple branches and string them onto a dowel or sisal...they are always a big hit.

We have a toy similar to the one in your picture...but it was a small hand massager...and is made out of wood and has raised wood bumps...I left it in the livingroom on the couch and it became a rabbit toy...they seem to enjoy it! lol Our kids seem to be big on throwing things lately!:biggrin2:

Danielle

Latest posts

Back