Towel in his cage...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marymac

Reaction score
I put a towel in Humperdink's cage yesterday. He seemed to appreciate it. Today, I changed out the towel and when he got into a playful mood, he started chewing on it. I don't want to give him anything that could make him sick? Is it okay for him to chew on his towel? If not, can anyone suggest a good substitution that would be safe? He has an edible hidey-hut he likes to lay in sometimes, but I'd also like to give him a soft option if possible.

Towels are only ok if the rabbit won' chew them. The threads can unravel and end up in the digestive tract which is dangerous as it can cause a blockage or get tied up in there.

Fleece is generally a better option. They can chew a hole in it and it won't unravel. While it is not good if eaten, smaller pieces should pass through without too much fuss. I use fleece blankets that are about 50X60" and I fold them up to about 1/4 that size in the cage. I haven't had issues with them and have used them for about 3.5 years now.

You can also try pet beds, but they are a pain to wash (and get to the right fluffiness again) as well as no good if chewed as the stuffing can all come out (also a pain in the wash).

My rabbit has a blanket also. I haven't had a problem with it but she does get moody when I change it out with a clean one. I got a Fleece one also with some cotton stuffed into it so it is comfortable.

It's easy to wash and I feel like it's better then dealing with bedding. The only down side so far is shaking the hay off it. don't want that getting into the washing machine.

I think this might have been Humperdink's issue with the towel. He didn't chew the first towel I put in, but chewed the new one when I changed it out. He's still getting used to the whole litterbox idea, so it was necessary.

I gave mine a towel but she chewed holes in it. The last straw was when I found her with the towel stuck around her neck from having chewed a hole in it. I switched her to polar fleece blankets and she hasn't chewed since. Maybe the fabric doesn't appeal to her chewing instincts.

One of my rabbits loves nibbling on towels. Fortunately he doesn't eat the bits but instead scatters them all over the floor. I bought some fleece pet beds and they haven't seemed to want to chew on that though they do dig in it a little which pulls up some fluff. They haven't tired to eat the fluff though so I'm hopeful!

IMG00683-20101010-2034.jpg

This was the towel after a few minutes. It had to be thrown away after a weekend since it was more hole than towel! I'm so glad he didn't eat any of it though. You can see some of the collected bits off to the side...

Latest posts

Back