Tough Decision

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samara

Reaction score
So when I joined the forum I had two bucks (Atticus and Gubble) and soon after adopted Molly, my doe.

We've had a lot going on in our family since October of 2011 and my husband and I made the rough decision to rehome one of our bucks, Atticus.

Atticus is an English Lop; his breeder sold his herd around NH and for that reason wasn't in a spot to take Atts back. I was able to contact a woman that has a handful of the breeder's herd and she was very excited to have Atticus. He'll be a great addition to her breeding program. He has excellent bone structure and personality. Plus she doesn't already have a solid blue to dabble with.

I feel like I failed him, like I gave up. The addition of taking on more bills due to my folks having a rocky separation and upcoming divorce, it was necessary to end the bickering and stress between the bucks. We hadn't been able to neuter them both yet and as such wasn't seeing it happening any time soon. Our vet charges $165.00 for bucks, all inclusive. I "shopped" around as it were and couldn't find anything cheaper.

I talked with Gubble's breeder and she is able to nab us a discounted price with her vet for his neuter, so that will be coming up quickly. I'm thankful for that.

I won't make the mistake of taking on two bucks again without taking them right into the vet for fixing. I had the funds set aside for them, but my Dad needed the help for living expenses.

Life happens. It sucks, but it happens.

Am I a douche bag for this choice guys? I can't help feeling like I should have done something differently. I don't take on and adopt pets to suddenly kick them to the curb. I was raised better than that. I feel like that's what I've done. I feel awful.

I know Atts is safe and in a great home and breeding program. I didn't have a place like that for Gubs. Plus Gub's is a REW which a lot of people have an aversion to. Mini lops are common around my area, English Lops aren't. I guess that's why I made the choice I did.

Plus Molly and Gubs seem very attached when they have out time and are around each other (separated until they're both fixed of course). I would have felt terrible to separate them. Atts and Molly had the litter of 3 we currently have, but his drive towards her seemed to be mate driven, not companion driven.

Poop.

I'm facing a similar situation with fighting breaking out within my trio. I always get animals thinking that they are going to be with me throughout their lifetime. It makes me feel like I didn't do my job to think otherwise.

However, listening to your story confirms in me that sometimes being a good pet parent is finding someone else to step in.
You made the right choice for you and your family, and found your boy a responsible home.

I think you should've kept him, but I'm also a firm believer in forever homes.

Thanks for the views guys; it wasn't an easy choice to make and I do feel that perhaps something else could have been done to keep him here...The flip side to that though is that he kept suffering injuries from Gubble and I couldn't find a way to have him neutered sooner.

I suppose the only saving grace is that he is under a year old, not a middle aged or elderly bun, so he should recoup with time and bond with another family.

I'm sorry you're going through something similar Nelsons_Mom; I wish you the best of luck in whatever choice you have to make. :feelbetter:

A forever home is the goal, but sometimes it can't be your home. It's like divorce; sometimes necessary, but it is [& should be] painful. Just not as painful as staying together would be.

Given the circumstances, I agree with your decision. May be a hard choice but it sounds like you found a place for him wherehe's wanted and needed.

Sometimes it is hard but sometimes you have to make decisions like that. However, I do not believe in breeding rabbits unless they are a rare bunny who is at risk of extinction. There are already too many rabbits already. Why make more?

Just my opinion, though.

Atticus is an English Lop. I see SOME English Lops around but not many. Don't know how common they are.

Sometimes you have to step back and look at the whole picture, which you did. And sometimes when you look at that whole picture you have to do something that hurts your heart. You did right by ALL our bunnies. You hope you make the best decision for all involved. And you did.

K :)

Thanks guys. :hearts:

He's doing great! She has an outdoor run also, which I don't have, so he's able to romp outside some of the time.

Sounds like he's in a good place. You must be so relieved about the hard decision you had to make.

Glad to hear he's doing so well.

K:)

I'm sorry to hear about the choice you had to make. Forever homes are a goal, to be sure, but not always attainable for everyone. It was a tough decision to make, and you did the best you can in the situation you were/currently in. And that is the best thing you can do for Atticus.

Glad to hear he is doing well and you're checking in on him =)

Things happen. We're supposed to get another rescue this Sunday. We are now taking care of Nancy's mother and Nancy just got out of the hospital--heart related--so I'm going to have my son take the new boy as my plate runneth over.

Back