Total shock

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne Armstrong

Reaction score
Super confused, a few weeks ago I moved my rabbits into the she in separate hitches due to having 2 bucks and a solitary doe. The following day my doe had chewed the side of the hutch and was running round the shed the bucks were safely in their churches so couldn't get to her so I thought.... This morning we have 8 babies! How I ask when she was free in the shed but the bucks were in their hitches. They haven't been together at all due to losing my main doe Stevie during giving birth a few months ago. 2B660E5F-E607-4144-81D4-C4DFE12AB5F2.jpeg412A56D5-B5BE-4CBA-810A-B601844FE19B.jpeg

Congrats on the cute babies!

Some very athletic bucks have been known to be able to make contact through wire fencing. So if you only have a panel of wire between them, and especially if the spacing is wider than 1/2 inch, then I would say that's the likely mating path.

When Charlotte chewed her way out of her hutch the males were closed in theirs, there is wire fencing at the front of the boys hutches where the water bottles fasten on, and it is quite wide

That's probably where they did the deed then. I'm sure it was quite the shock finding a bunch of squirming baby buns this morning. A fun shock at least... if you like baby buns 💕

I adore baby bunnies but I had decided not to let them have anymore after my gorgeous Stevie (Charlotte's mummy) passed away in August just after giving birth. I cried when I saw the babies as I just wasn't expecting it.

I do not really believe in the "breeding though wire" theory. Not before I have seen that happen with my own eyes. I mean, it's not like rabbits are very artistic. With quite some of those incidences a more plausible possibility is at hand - like, does anyone else than you have access to the rabbits? Children? Kids can be quite curios about things.
Or you have another rabbit around - I found a neighbours pet buck twice in my fenced in rabbit enclosure in the morning. And once a wild rabbit squeezed through the fence and knocked up one of my girls, 3 times his size.

Your hutches are at floor level? Did you notice your doe to try to open that hole pretty soon after you closed it?

Other people think it's possible, I have another opinion about that. It's a theory, still waiting to see any proof or at least a first hand report of seeing it happen.

Anyway, congratulations :). Can you tell by the colours which buck was responsible? As far as I can tell you can at least rule out a wild buck.

The day after I fixed the sid of her hutch she chewed it again, and no only I tend to my bunnies. I was away briefly but that was half term holidays and my husband took care of them then, he swears he didn't let them mix, and I have attached pics of my bucks. Chester
Is all black and Chester black with white collar

75F465A4-C323-44C4-90DE-384D7EB14473.jpeg029CE84C-3CE0-4754-9484-783A9D119122.jpeg

My bet would be the black one. Would expect that the pink wiggly thing turns out to be a red eyed white. But I'm not very good when it comes to genetics.

A few days and I might be able to tell more the colours, and if any have white collars I should probably assume Chester is dad. I have attached a pic of CharlotteA8B6B122-9809-4E2A-9165-1B3F36D05486.jpeg

Back