Torn

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunLuvvie

Reaction score
Up until now I have been set on getting a rabbit. 100% set. Now we have a new kitten, Misha and he has been so much fun and affectionate that I have been wanting to get a playmate for him. A shelter kitten. The thing is I still want the bunny but I can't get both.

Complication: I'm allergic to cats. So If I get the cat I'd have to get that new laser acupuncture allergy treatment. But that's $150+ The thing is, I'm going to be a vet so I'll need it anyway.

I still want the bunny but they don't get too affectionate I've heard. I mean I LOOOVE rabbits, and I already have a C&C cage for one. But cats seen more loving. But rabbits can be too!

What should I doo??!!

I suggest getting a rabbit, cat's to me have always seemed distant and grumpy. Whereas a bunny will love you all the time. It only takes a little extra effort to bond lovingly with your rabbit. Plus if you introduce your rabbit to the kitten early they will grow up together and could become playmates.

Don't take me on my word for the last bit, consult someone else who owns a rabbit/kitty combo.

I am not a cat person.. but I have to admit, rabbits are very much like cats in ways. They have very unique personalities and some are ridiculously affectionate, while others are very independent. They both typically like to have affection on their own terms. I HIGHLY recommend that you meet adult bunnies at a shelter. Our dutch has been with us since she was 6wks old.. she is affectionate on her own terms. Our new bunny, Wally, adopted at 2 years old is SO loving. Any time he THINKS you're going to touch him he smooshes down for pets. He is so incredibly affectionate. He comes when you call him, he really seeks out human interaction. I've grown up with cats. I've only met ONE cat like this. I've seen many bunnies like this.

I'm partial to rabbits, but I can see the argument for getting another kitten if you already have one. However.. many cats only learn to tolerate each other. We had 4 cats at one point.. they never played, they never cuddled together. One of our cats used to play with the rabbits.. and yesterday my sister's cat was grooming my two rabbits.. of course every cat and rabbit is different, but they can learn to get along, too, given they are supervised.

I would also worry about two cats with having allergies. If you're making your decision based on how affectionate the animal will be, I would adopt an adult rabbit or cat that is already known for being loving.. because you can't guarantee what a baby is going to turn out like.. and there are just as many independent cats as there are independent rabbits out there.

I would have a cat if I weren't allergic to them. I haven't heard of this laser accupuncture thing so I'm a bit suspicious as to whether or not it really works. I do think that bunnies are more affectionate once they trust you. Bunnies can bond with cats, but you have to be very careful because cat bites can kill a rabbit in a matter of hours due to all the bacteria.

My recommendation is to go to the shelter and say you want a very affectionate bunny. The people there will know which bunnies are best for this. You may also want to consider getting a younger bunny, since they haven't learned to distrust people, as some adult shelter bunnies have. At the shelter, there are "project bunnies" and "love bunnies." The project ones may be aggressive or not trust people, probably due to being surrendered or abandoned. Getting them to love you is a project. It can be worth it if you want a project, but if you want a bunny as a friend and companion, the love bunnies are better. Love bunnies are usually younger, and they warm up to strangers quickly and love to play and be petted. I really think bunnies are a good alternative for people who are allergic to cats and want a pet that isn't aloof.

BunLuvvie wrote:
Up until now I have been set on getting a rabbit. 100% set. Now we have a new kitten, Misha and he has been so much fun and affectionate that I have been wanting to get a playmate for him. A shelter kitten. The thing is I still want the bunny but I can't get both.

Complication: I'm allergic to cats. So If I get the cat I'd have to get that new laser acupuncture allergy treatment. But that's $150+ The thing is, I'm going to be a vet so I'll need it anyway.

I still want the bunny but they don't get too affectionate I've heard. I mean I LOOOVE rabbits, and I already have a C&C cage for one. But cats seen more loving. But rabbits can be too!

What should I doo??!!
I'm not quite sure if you are expressing a financial $$$ dilemma...(as in not being able to care for 2 cats +rabbit, or 1 cat and 1 rabbit), or you are limited in your # of pets you can possess... or other...(?)

If you already have a little puss, he might enjoy a kitten buddy. Some rabbits also enjoy the company of cats.

Are you concerned about cats and rabbits co-habitating?

If you've already got one cat, you probably need to invest in the treatment to stay healthy as it is(which, as you've stated, you'll need anyway to be a vet).

Rabbits can be affectionate, same as cats. They can also be grumps, same as cats. I agree with a previous poster, who promoted the selection of an older animal with an established temperment.

In terms of my interactions with my cats and rabbits:
Both are fun to watch.
Rabbits prefer stroking on the floor, beside me.
I can haul the cats around more readily than my buns. (None of my buns are that into being picked up, so I don't bug too much:) )
I find rabbits to be more physically delicate, while my cats are more emotionally sensitive.

Perhaps you could foster a rabbit from the shelter, to get an idea of daily typical bunny routines and behaviour? That would give you a better understanding of how a rabbit would fit into your lifestyle :)

My cat and one rabbit love eachother and will lay together! my cat is 8 years old and hates us and everyone else lol including our dog.. but for some reason is bonded to our rabbit Lacie :)
Plus you'll have less vet bills with a rabbit :p lol no annual vaccs!

Back