Topics you might like to see in future issues of Rabbits Only

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbits

Reaction score
Any ideas for the new issue?

The next issue will feature our readers' report on their rabbits'favorite treats (I'll give you a preview--carrots seem to be #1. Why isthat?).

We're working on an article on the forum. Shhhh!

The rest we'll keep under wraps for now...

If you have any suggestions, we'd love to hear them. And, in case youdidn't know, much of our material is readers' submissions, so if youwould like to share your experience, please do!

Oh, wow, Rabbits! I may bescooting over some ideas (and maybe even an article) to you thisafternoon! ;)

That's a good idea, or something on deterringmosquitos. I for one, having outside bunnies, would love to find outsome solutions and prevention methods.

Maybe include the information on cleaning the water bottles.

Wabbitwuv

Maybe since the hot hot weather is approaching,some articles on Sun Stroke Prevention, When It is or Isn't a Good TimeTo Take Your Rabbit Outside? I dunno, I stink at this haha.

How about a article on how bunnys can not survive on their own in the wild, since that seems to be a problem.

Cristy

how about common rabbit diseases? esp: pasturella(sp?). apparently you can treat it with antibiotics, but some rabbitseither don't show symptoms or are not negatively affected by it... orat least that's what i've read... is that true?
this is a concern for me, esp since it seems to be highly contagious...

i nkow this kind of seems wide and broad but mabeyou could do articles about specific breeds of rabbits therepersonalitys weight, ect. and mabe since there are so manybreeds you could do a couple every issue:D

I would definitely agree with the common rabbit diseases and how to spot them, treat them and when do you go to the vet.

The other thing is pregnancy, and false ones as well-the mythssurrounding newborns, what you as a second parent should be preparedfor and what to do...etc etc.

Thats it for me for now...

Cher

I just realized how late this was~ so excuse me horribly late suggestions I know my two cents cant be counted now *sniff sniff*

Cher

It's never too late!
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Keep it coming. If it doesn'tget into this issue for various reasons, it can always make it into thenext one.

Hi rabbits,

I'd like to add a few things to the list.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

TRAVELING WITH RABBITS:

Flying them across the country and to different countries. (You could post the Rabbit Railroad site here as well.)

Quarantine Laws: who one would contact. Especially in the USA, Canada,England, China. (Cher will be a big help here as she's flying home fromChina to Canada soon.)

(Comfrey is said to soothe rabbits when stressed.)

Pam Nock's article, "The 'Tooth' About Lagomorphs'http://www.geocities.com/billynock/TEETH.html

A RABBIT'S FIRST AID KIT:

Ace Bandage
Scissors - small and large
Tweezers
Cotton Pads
Hydrogen Peroxide
Preparation H (sore hocks)
Nutri-Cal (caloric supplement)
Ivermectin (for parasites)
Syringes/eye dropper
Mineral oil
An Eye Wash
Kaeopectate
Cotton balls
Q-tips
Toenail clippers
Thermometer
Butterfly closers
Bandage Tape

...etc...

A MEDICAL CHECKLIST:

Runny Nose?
Sneezing?
Coughing?
Pooping?
Peeing?
Teeth?
Gums?
Watery Eyes?
Behavior?
Bumps?
Fly bites/cuts, etc.?
Temperature of ears? (Normal Temperature: 102-103 degrees (F).
Heavy Breathing?
Drooling?
Pulse? (Normal is 140-150)
Alert?
Uninterested?

...etc...

NAIL CLIPPING:

The following was told to me a couple of years ago by Buck Jones.

"Sometimes, if you cradle your bun backside down in the cook of yourarm, he may 'trance', or become very calm. If not, at the very least,you can cradle him tightly, holding him in a stationary position withhis feet in the air, and the more readily accessible for nail cutting.

I usually perform this maneuver outside, over the picnic table, so Ican lay my arm, the one holding him, upon the table for additionalsupport. From that location/position, I can usually grasp one or two ofthe rabbit's feet with the hand of the arm that is immobilizing it,leaving my other hand free to clip with a guillotine type cat/dogclipper. Being outside enables me to use direct sunlight in search ofthe "quick" (blood vessel), and in some instances, makes it possible tojust faintly see the quick in the darker nails as well.

If all else fails, one can wrap the entire bunny up in a towel, muchlike a "burrito", and extract one foot at a time in order to clip thenails. You may have to re-wrap for each foot, but it is another way todeal with a recalcitrant bunny.

Talking in a soothing, high-pitched voice, such as "coo-cooing" from awoman, seems to calm most buns down a bit also. None of my buns enjoythe nail clipping, and they become quite agitated, jumpy, and squirmyduring the experience. I have to frequently reposition them to mysatisfaction, and do it firmly and quickly in order to establish mydominance over them, as the "alpha rabbit", if you will. My message tothem is, "I know you don't like it, but YOU ARE going to get your nailscut NOW!" More often than not, they do finally accept the inevitableand will calm down appreciably.

Styptic powder, which is available in many pet stores, I wouldrecommend having on hand and ready to use when you cut the nails. Forme, that means having Q-tip, pre-dipped in water, at hand, and thestyptic powder container nearby, opened and ready to be dipped into bythe moistened Q-tip. You don't want the powder so close that it istumbled over inadvertently by you or the bunny's struggles.

Having this all ready to go shortens the time between making too closeof a cut and stemming the resultant blood flow. If you're not used toit, or get upset at the sight of blood, the flow often seems much worsethan it is. Most of us have done it at one time or another, and whilethe buns often react reflexively to too close of a cut, they seem toweather the experience pretty well and demonstrate no long lastingtrauma from it.

Having cut the nails, I usually take the time to record the currentweight of the bun and to note any unusual physical or medicalconditions by close inspection of the entire body. This monthly writtenrecord enables me to recognize if, and when, potential health problemsseem to be developing.

The session is closed with a long grooming session with hard and softbrushes, combs, and hands in order to end upon a positive note. Whenthe bun starts chattering its teeth with pleasure, I know everythingI've done is forgiven, and all's well that ends well.

Buck Jones"

A TOY LIST

We have a great post in here started by mygrl2k3 with lots of ideas. We're always asked about toys as you know.

A RABBIT BOOK LIST

Go back to the earlier pages right on the board and and you'll find a couple of posts on this too.

LITTERBOX TRAINING

When you switched from Delphi to Wowbb, one of your first questions youcopied from an email was about Litterbox Training. We constantly runacross that question and your post is brought back time-and-time again.It's in here somewhere. Perhaps you could pool it all together?

RABBIT PELLETS:

Pellets that are comprised of 12+% protein and 18+% of Fiber, generally purchased at feed stores for freshest supplies.

LITTER:

Cedar Shaving being toxic. Pine shavings, cat litter, recycled newspaper.

A lot of good information is among the posts in this forum on this subject.

HOW TO IDENTIFY THE GENDER.

See post on the forum by BrianC, "What age can you sex a rabbit?"

LEAVE BREEDING UP TO BREEDERS:

You'll be interested in checking out the following posts.http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=1012&forum_id=1Pamnock and the others make a lot of good comments about people wishingto breed their own rabbits.

IN MEMORY OF:

How about a small section where people can honor their Bunnies over the Rainbow Bridge?

What would be really wonderful would be if you could provide alink to the articles in the magazine so that when those questions popup, we could just direct them to the magazine's archives.

-Carolyn

P.S. After I posted this, a member came in asking about transporting arabbit from the USA into Canada. I mentioned the Rabbit Railroad toher. You may wish, or not, to include a reference to the site that getsyou to the Yahoo Group involved.http://www.rabbitrailroad.com

I'd like to see an article about rabbitrights. I feel strongly that rabbits should NOT be hunted ormade into pretty furry coats. To me, that's like skinningyour cat and wearing it. It's just wrong.Sorry...just had to get that off my chest.

how bout a article on the dangers of plastic andbunnies.........i wrote a post on my experiece with it and maybe ucould get it out to more of ur readers....if u want me to rewrite itlet me know thanks beans_mommy

How about posting our pictures in the magazinethat are in the "Blow up your Avatar Pictures". Great shots ofbeautiful rabbits are in there!

-Carolyn

You could always do an issue on favorite toys and ways to make them too =)

Also... This is a suggestion I found out 3 years ago when I got mysecond bunny Guinevere... I didnt want her living outside... she wasjust a baby... convinced my parents to let me keep her in the house butcouldnt afford a 300 dollar cage. (the cage I had was waaaaytoo small for her, well at the time she was a baby so it was okay, butthe size she is now, it wouldnt have been!

I made a cage out of those Stack & rack build your owncrates. I called the company and made sure the paint theyused is non-toxic. Then I used those cable tie wires (Got abig bag of them at Walmart) and started piecing the crate sidestogether. The cage is two squares by three bythree. I added shelves with more of the square pieces andsupported them with wooden dowels. Then I used heavy dutycardboard for the flooring and cut carpet remenants to fit.The door is secured by a sock tied up =)

You can build a better bunny house then those on the market with alittle creativity and for less money. I have the cagesupported on those unfinished wooden crates you can get at AC Moore orWalmart so it is up off the floor itself. Guin LOVES it, andthe best part is, I can add to it with very little trouble. Ijust added an unconnected addition for Gir, so they can see each otherwhen not allowed to roam. Once I am sure they get along I amplanning on cutting a little door in the side of Gir's section with mydremel so he can come and go out of the main cage, but still have ahidey hole.

Back